Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 1:59:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
That thing looks like something a Science Fiction "B" movie director would invent.

This thing is REAL???

The fish aren't drawn to it, this worm grabs them and impales them on the hook...
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yup, the article says that the worm is a result of Agent Orange and other chemical activities in Vietnam.
Lesson: Don't fuck with Mother Nature.
View Quote

That sounds like a good story, but I have serious doubts as to it being "borne" of Agent Orange and other chemicals.

I'm sure they were around long before 1970. Sure, it MAY be a mutated species, but we would have heard a LOT more about them. I have NEVER seen that thing listed as a genetic mutation. I guarantee you it would have been in National Geographic for SOME kind of article if that were the case (Not to mention a thousand other periodicals). It would have been REALLY big news, but appaerently this guys been using them for awhile.

I won't even get into the Introduced Foreign Species mess that this SHOULD have caused.

It IS a fishing story, any way you look at it =)
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That sounds like a good story, but I have serious doubts as to it being "borne" of Agent Orange and other chemicals.

View Quote

I'd have to agree. I don't think the article meant to suggest that either - just that Doublefeed misinterpreted the author.

It's just one of many bizarre segmented worms loosley related to the leach. If I'm not mistaken, these things have already established a foothold in Hawaii.

I doubt they could survive a continental American winter. But I wouldn't recommend pushing our luck.

These things don't scare me, though. The tropical worms that scare me are the thin parasitic ones that grow INSIDE you.

Adam
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Consider original the source for the article - the Washington Post (aka Pravda of the Potomac).

Does it surprise you that it includes environmentalist and anti-war slams in it now?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Decide for yourself what the article is "trying to suggest".
View Quote

As RichinCM mentioned above, the author is merely showing his leftist leanings. In his mind, this species being from Vietnam is poetic justic for our actions there during the war. Any belief that the worm was directly created by chemical introduced during the war is, as I stated, a misinterpretation on your part.

Incidentally, I would bet good money that this species is not endemic to Vietnam either - just that they happen to have been the country that got the bright idea to get into the worm export business. As I mentioned in a thread a year or so ago - we won the war (it just took a looong time) - the capitalist mindset is thriving in that country now. Also, nobody but communist officials call Saigon "Ho Chi Minh City."
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yup, the article says that the worm is a result of Agent Orange and other chemical activities in Vietnam.
Lesson: Don't fuck with Mother Nature.
View Quote

Ummmmm

Read it again......It says no such thing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope....

These worms occur in nature in the tropics.  They are not the result of Nuclear or chemical weapons.  I believe that it was intended to be a joke.  Other wise you must also believe that they are normal worms after being fed Viagara.......as it says that in the article as well.

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#16]
You know ... that kinda looks like Urodoji.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's the Nuclear Worm (genus Namalycastis), Vietnam's biological revenge for all that napalm and Agent Orange 30 years ago.
View Quote
does not appear to be a simile, metaphor, or any type of comparison.  It does not appear inconsistant with what I said it said.  
Like I said, call the author and the article a liar, not me.
How hard is that?
View Quote

Actually I took it as satire.

You know, we sent Napalm, Agent Orange, etc over there 30 years ago, now they are sending these things over here, as revenge.

The article, to me at least, does not insinuate that the worms were created by napalm or agent orange.  

I think you just misread the article.  The author was trying to be humorous throughout it, he didnt entirely succeed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Another reason that shithole should have been vaporised 35 years ago !
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I think we can all agree that the story was written poorly. This bait salesman is just trying to drum-up some new business...It read more like a 'press release' than an in-depth story...LOL
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top