Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2002 10:31:07 AM EDT
Occasionally we have people that on their first post ask how to build a machine gun or some other such nonsense. Everybody freaks out and says it's just a JBT trolling.

I understand the desire for AR15.com to remain a site that is ethical and honest, and above all lawful. I want it to be that way (please don't misunderstand).

I just don't get it. So what if a JBT gets somebody to start talking about building MG's. Isn't that protected by the First Amendment? Can't someone say "doing this and then doing that makes a Machine gun" and be OK? Isn't it the actual act of making an illegal MG that they could bust you for ???

I guess my question is really "What do the JBT's gain by trolling?".

It just doen't make sense to me.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Newbee question.

Whats JBT?

Seen it here before.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Newbee question.

Whats JBT?

Seen it here before.
View Quote
JBT= Jack Booted Thug! (ie) The ATF!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Jack Booted Thug.

Popular name amongst freedom-loving gun-owners for freedom-hating ATF, FBI, etc. agents who think it's sport to blow away women holding children, barbecue children to cover up evidence, or bust in the doors of innocent people, rough them up, then leave without even apologizing when they discover they hit the wrong house.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Gotcha!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gotcha!
View Quote

as in "I undestand"

Scared myself for a minute
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I think that it is somewhat of a PR victory for anti-2nd Amendment types.

Whenever someone can pursuade a firearms enthusiast to discuss the illegal manufacture / conversion of legal firearms those words can later be used to cast suspicion upon the entire shooting community.

While protected by the 1st Amendment, such discussions are akin to posting questions about child molestation in a Roman Catholic discussion forum.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think that by monitoring these boards they hope to compile a list of everyone with any kind of extensive firearms knowledge/interest and when they THINK someone MAY be doing something illegal they can come and kick in your door and ask if you have any mg's while kicking you in the head with their JackBOOTS.

for the record:  

I dont have any guns.
I dont like guns nor do I know anything about them.
I happened here by accident.
View Quote
You too? How did I get here? Where the fu-k am I? Gun what the hell is a gun?[whacko]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dont have any guns.
I dont like guns nor do I know anything about them.
I happened here by accident.
View Quote

What he said!

What! You mean that this isn't ILoveBarneyThePurpleDinosaur.com? AAGGHH!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#13]
all tho new to posting I have been "lurking" reading posts here a long time here.

I had to laugh a short while back.
 A newbee, like 3 posts, asked how many guns every one had.  He got flamed BIG TIME, no one had any guns of any kind.

The very next post was from a long timer who asked  for pics of every ones favorite.

There where 5 pages of very cool ARs

I almost felt sorry for the dumbass new guy---Had to laugh  [:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't own any firearms nor have I ever held one. I don't even know what this site is about or how I came to be here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So what if a JBT gets somebody to start talking about building MG's. Isn't that protected by the First Amendment? Can't someone say "doing this and then doing that makes a Machine gun" and be OK?
View Quote
[url]www.subguns.com[/url] and [url]www.biggerhammer.net/[/url] contain information about MG's.

As I understand it, such information is 1st-Amendment protected unless it creates a clear and present danger of imminent criminal conduct; but [i]don't[/i] take my word on it, the full story is here: [url]http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment01/10.html#1[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So what if a JBT gets somebody to start talking about building MG's. Isn't that protected by the First Amendment?
View Quote

Conspiring to convert something something something, into a illegal machine gun may not be protected under the first amendment.

How much money do you have for a criminal defense?

How much money do the JBTs Have?

BTW these topics seem to get long and drawn out, so I'm stopping with what I've stated above.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As I understand it, such information is 1st-Amendment protected unless it creates a clear and present danger of imminent criminal conduct; but [i]don't[/i] take my word on it, the full story is here: [url]http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment01/10.html#1[/url]
View Quote

I must agree with your statement.  That means that Congress is not protected by the 1st amendment because nearly everything they say constitutes a clear and present danger of imminent criminal conduct.

Quoted:
as in "I undestand"

Scared myself for a minute
View Quote

Nice save!  [;)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Stop worrying.  You are silly if you think they don't already have some idea of who has what guns.  What are you going to do, wear a disguise when you go the range everytime?  Order ammo online using a fake name and address?

C'mon guys lighten up.  If you are curious I have a Bushmaster A2 20".  I didn't come here on accident, and I know a lot about guns.  

Stop being paranoid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#19]

The ATF and FBI agent is going to win your confidence and trust, suck you in until you can't spit out the hook. The friendly guy who knows lots about fire arms, always likes to BS, has cash or a fake account inwhich he/ she may pay you to do something legal, then shady, then illegal.  The unknowing does the illegal  because they want the money and have delt with them before.  Sort of like fishing, the fish tests the bait, nibbles a little, puts it in its mouth then bam the hook is set.  

Don't buy anything illegal from people you don't know!  You never know who is the "real" seller.  Some of my family from Michegan have a neighbor who bought several drop in action parts kits to make a fire arm full auto.  Guess who came a knocking?  You betch the BATF.  

Another common approach is to just lurk, monitor messages, e-mails, chats, sort of like a fly on the wall or a sub at sea.  When enough evidence is gathered, drop the hammer.  Pride gets you into to trouble, people know how to hit the warm and soft spots that get the unwarry talking.  Personally, if you don't want the "public" to know about it, DON'T brag about it in public wether its a phone, internet, or on the street corner to strangers.    

Asking someone how to make a machine gun, albeit taboo, would not be my first idea of getting others to brag.  I would do as somebody above mentioned.  "Show me pictures of your ARs" or "I have a Colt bla bla bla, whats yours look like......."  Did the three little pigs let the big bad wolf in?  Not until he looked like granny!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#21]
USNA91...You've got mail.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#22]
[img]http://www.troll-company.dk/40thcat/pics/72125.jpg[/img]

For Imbroglio!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you really want to know what troll info is used for. go to the Violence Policy Center website.  Direct quotes are used, while giving credit to the website.  

[url]www.vpc.org[/url]
View Quote

Where?
I went, and saw nothing of the sort.
Do you have a direct link to an actual "website" quote?

It wouldn't suprise me at all.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I am a little computer illiterate so help me out here.  Is there a way that the JBT "I'll shoot you in the face with my M4 assault rifle" ATF guys can figure out who an individual is when they post to these boards?  I mean it seems like they could do some kind of trace through the server or something but that would be pretty labor intensive.  Maybe it's easier than I thought I don't know.  Someone plz enlighten me![50]  By the way no guns here either.  I thought this was an Auto Repair site.[whacko]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#26]
PS- You morons forget something.

In order for the "ATF" to get your home address from a BBS, you either have to post it, or Goatboy has to complicit in allowing them your e-footprints.

Either that, or they can get it if you ever ppost something for sale in the Equiptment Exchange.

(Whiskey Bravo- You posted your question like 10 seconds before I posted [;)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

(Whiskey Bravo- You posted your question like 10 seconds before I posted [;)]
View Quote

I'm 2whiskeyP but don't worry, I don't hold a grudge for very long[;)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Did the three little pigs let the big bad wolf in?  Not until he looked like granny!
View Quote

Dude, I think the "granny" part was from Little Red Riding Hood.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#30]
good call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top