Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2002 8:45:45 AM EDT
I just started this book, but it's written on a subject near and dear to all our hearts: the Spartans at Thermopylae.

The author, Steven Pressfield, has done a lot of research and tells the detailed story from the point of view of a squire to one of the Spartan warriors, and the only survivor among them. He was actually dealt a mortal wound, but Apollo sent him back to tell the story. He gets his chance, and lays it all out for Xerxes, the Persian king. I'm about a third of the way into it, and I'm really enjoying it.

Molon Labe!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Just finished 2 weeks ago, almost cried at the end, what a great book!!!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I enjoyed it as well, but it wasn't exactly what I expected - being a modern novel, I was expecting it to be written in a more modern style.  Rather, it was written more like the prose translations of the Iliad and the Odyssey I recall reading in high school - that is, seemingly a bit overdramatic at times.

Rocko
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably one of the best books you'll ever read.  I've read it 4 or 5 times and given it to at least 3 people.  Its also on the Commandant of the Marine Corps favorite reading list.

[url]http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/reading/current.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, [u]Gates of Fire[/u] was good.  I liked Pressfield's [u]Tides of War[/u] better, just because it was about my favorite figure from antiquity, Alcibiades.

Robert Graves' book [u]I, Claudius[/u] is a fantastic novel about the Caesars and the intrigue and politics in their family.  Pressfield's books aren't half as good.

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Read it about six months ago because someone here suggested it.  Excellent book!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top