Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2002 7:06:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are "traveling through", you can take whatever it is legal to own in your home state.  In NJ, however, it must be secured, unloaded with the firearm separated from the ammo, and out of reach of the driver.  Or some such nonsense.

I wouldn't bother.[:(!]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am traveling to New Jersey starting tomorrow, what can I as an out of state resident take with me on this trip as far as firearms go???

It will be a quick in and out, about 4 hours in NJ about 1.5 of them on the road.

Plus, any good stops anyone can reccomend? I am going via norfolk, than north to New Castle, then into NJ and south to Bridgeton.
View Quote
I took a 1911A1 on the road and secured it when I got there (New York). I really have to admit, it was not needed and probably not worth the hassle. I carried a knife (small one under 4 ") on my belt.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Check with the VA State Police.  Open carry is legal in (most of) Virginia.  Watch out for Norfolk/Hampden Roads area, and some parts of Northern VA, as some of them have grandfathered anti-open-carry laws.

The state police should be able to tell you about non-residents and open carry.  They've been good to answer all of my questions in the past.

Quoted:
I am traveling to New Jersey starting tomorrow, what can I as an out of state resident take with me on this trip as far as firearms go???

It will be a quick in and out, about 4 hours in NJ about 1.5 of them on the road.

Plus, any good stops anyone can reccomend? I am going via norfolk, than north to New Castle, then into NJ and south to Bridgeton.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
IIFC, you can transport with no problem if the firearms are legal BOTH at your departure and arrival locations.  You might have a problem with NJ.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
In PRNJ you can`t have any mags that`ll hold more than 15 rounds unless they`re blocked at 15 and basically no AKs or pre bans. Ammo and weapon have to be separate (and I believe locked)containers. For the short time you`ll be in our little piece of paradise,why take the risk. BTW,have a safe trip!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are travelling to NJ, leave the guns behind.

First off, FOPA won't apply, since you are stopping in NJ.  Without a NJ firearms ID card, I believe you are in illegal gun possession.

Second, even if traveling thru NJ, NJ has said it won't honor FOPA, so there is a chance you can get busted anyway.

Third, even if FOPA applies, the NJ law on hollow point bullets will screw you.  If you have hollow points, it is $1,000 fine per bullet you are caught with.  (Limited exceptions exist, but they won't apply to you).

Summary : NJ is bad news for gun owners.  Even worse news for those people that have to live there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top