Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 5:16:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, I have just moved to the Springfield, MA area for graduate school, and I am having NO luck getting a job, or even an interview.  I have four years experience working at a psychiatric hospital, and I want the same type of job.  Well, I want to stay in the field, but at this point anything will do!

I am getting worried!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Job Hunting Tip:

If you are looking for work, it is better if you are working, even a part time job at Mc Donalds, than not working at all.
View Quote

This is no longer as true as it once was.  Most recruiters are aware that layoffs, etc., have had a severe impact on many workers, for no reason other than economic downturn or corporate mismanagement.

Also, McDonald's is not going to look that good on a professional resume.  [:P]

Nevertheless, it's nicer to have work when looking for it.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also, McDonald's is not going to look that good on a professional resume.  [:P]

View Quote

Its all on how you write your resume my friend.

[i][b]McDonald Corp. Dallas, TX
Financial Systems Management [read cashier]    
June 2002 - Present[/b]

Responsible for reconciling daily cash transactions. [read: made sure I wasn't out of balancing at the end of the day or they will take it out of my check]
Handled store operating budget using various automated financial software [read:worked cash register]
Responsible for accounts receivables and supply chain management. [read: made sure people paid for their burgers and enough burger were available][/i]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Even if you are not working, it helps to stay active in your field. You can usually present your current activities as "consulting" even if it is volunteer work for training purposes.

My dad used to be an IT headhunter. I grew up listening to him cut through the BS and place bodies. He was a monster in his heyday, placing literally over 1000 people in a single year.

I can help bird dog tech and some exec level stuff for anyone who is interested. I am not limited to the midwest either. Getting a fairly decent bio or resume together can cut through a lot of time kill.

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, I'll play!

I have a degree in geological engineering.  My background is in mining and I have done everything from surveying to PR to watertreatment to engineering to exploration to management.  I'd like to stay in mining in the US.  Currently pounding nails to make ends meet.

SRM
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Currently a BIG 5 consultant with previous NT administration skills.  Citrix MetaFrame and Terminal Server are areas that I would like to pursue.

Also would like to know how to get into abstract and title work and possibly surveying if nothing else works out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I currently have a sucky job at Earthlink (ISP)...but want to be a Train driver/engineer.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Looking for an IT Manager or IT Director job. I quit my job at a pharmaceutical company because they wanted me to do something illegal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Looking for a job Drinking beer and shooting.
Not necessarily in that order!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Phoenix AZ

Cisco CCNA
Microsoft MCSE
Novell MCNE, CNE
Citrix CCA

Looking for Systems Engineer or IT Manager position.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Currently a BIG 5 consultant with previous NT administration skills.  Citrix MetaFrame and Terminal Server are areas that I would like to pursue.

Also would like to know how to get into abstract and title work and possibly surveying if nothing else works out.
View Quote

Get me a copy of your resume, and or get it to BenDover. I will see what I can do.
View Quote

The only thing I know about abstract/title work is my own job as a rent-a-CIO for county governments. I work with county property tax assessors all the time.

If you wanted to combine these skills, there are a couple of major vendors in property tax/appraisal systems. I used to work for and I am still personal friends with senior management of one of these firms (Manatron/Sabre).

You could always run for the Assessor's office in your locale.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#21]
This is a Sr. SW engineering position in Phoenix AZ. If anyone is interested, please email me and attach your resume. This is a fee paid position, so I am not going to be ashamed to take the $$ if I can get you the hookup.

Position Title: Sr. SW Engineer SW
Discipline: SW Engineering Global Manufacturing Solutions

Competencies/Responsibilities:
Will develop (design, implement and unit-test) software components and applications. Assignments will focus on enhancements to the core applications of the suite of products. This includes the development of both client and server software primarily written in C++ for the NT and Windows2000 operating system. Assist in authoring and reviewing requirement, design and customer documentation. Implement features and making defect corrections using C++ and Microsoft's Development Studio. Work individually or in teams on the development of features and applications for the suite of products. Code, unit-test and debug software components and applications of moderate to large size and moderate to high complexity, which satisfy the stated requirements for a feature. Demonstrate increasing skill in making good design and implementation decisions resulting in changes to components and applications, which promote ease of understanding and maintenance. This work is typically done with occasional guidance from more experienced engineers. Consistently apply knowledge of the software development policies and procedures used within the business group. Develop an awareness of productivity, quality and efficiency issues affecting products and departmental processes in order to recommend updates.

Experience Required:
Typically requires 5 to 8 years of related experience.

Education Required:
B.S. or M.S. in a technical discipline with development experience or considerable equivalent experience with emphasis on software development and engineering practices.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Mods could we get a tack for this?? There's a lot of guys out of work on here that I am keen on helping.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#24]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind a change of scenery.
Anyone know of anything available in the following fields in the following areas?

Areas considered:

Reno, NV
Seattle, WA
Boise, ID
A larger town in Montana...LOL

I'm 36, have a Criminal Justice degree, Am I too old to get into Law Enforcement?

Also skilled at Architectural modeling and aluminum/steel fabrication.

Skilled in all phases of Acrylic Design/fabrication.

Machinist R/D work, some CNC experience.

Project Management all areas

Automotive Design R/D (sorry, won't live in PRK again, and Detroit is NOT for me)

Yes, I am a "Jack of all Trades"
View Quote

Here's a link for you.

[url]www.dhr.state.id.us/CurrentOpenings.asp[/url]

[url]www.cityofboise.org/customer_and_support_services/human_resources/employment/jobs.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks thedave1164 for putting this up and helping people you don't even know out.  

I used to make video games, but if anyone is looking for any kind of IT work in the Dallas/Lewisville area send me an e-mail.  I have expereince with mostly creative work, but I have worn alot of different IT hats in the past.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool idea...  Don't know if I'll be able to find something here but it's worth a shot.

I've got about 2 years experience in the IT field.  Most of that has been in the help-desk and call-center (phone support) areas as well as some desktop-support (hands on PC repair).  Looking for more help-desk or desktop support work.  

I'm looking for work in Massachusetts.  Particularly in Boston, or in the "South Shore" area of the state.  I'm also able to work in Southern NH (particularly the Concord area), the Worcester area of MA, or the 495 or 128 beltway areas of MA.

I've also got some experience in the security guard field.  If I can't find IT work soon, I'd also consider going back to that as long as it was armed work, and it was for a decent company.  :D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top