Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 3:29:14 PM EDT
When I was a kid I really had a problem with OCD. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't function but it was quite noticeable in my everyday life. I bought a new pair of shoes today. Whenever I lace up a pair of shoes, they have to be done a specific way. If I lace the right one in a left over right fashion, the left one has to be laced right over left. Symmetry is very important. I also make sure that none of the laces are twisted after going through the holes. They must lay flat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
try going into footlocker and trying on a pair of shoes and stopping the sales clerk because he is lacing your "tenne-shoes" wrong.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have accepted the fact that I will have to do a re-lace when I get home. No one can measure up to my standards.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm the same way.  I'll stop someone in the middle of doing a favor for me, just to do it myself so that it will be done "right".

I hate tiled floors.  I always have to walk on them in a set pattern - no deviation allowed once it has started.

Shoes must be laced in a similar fashion.  Symmetry is of the utmost importance.

Lots of little things must be done in multiples of five, otherwise I'll drive myself crazy by not doing it.

I'm one fvcked-up individual when it comes to stuff like that...

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
They have medication for that now... [:D]

[url]http://www.lexington-on-line.com/naf.ocd.2.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine seems to manifest itself in ropes, calbes, and hoses.

Hoses - if the end of the hose has been pulled out of the flat coil (I lay the coil on the ground,) I will pull out the whole damn hose and recoil it, then wash the loose crud off of it.

Cords - extension cords expecially - must be folded double (longer cords two or three times!) and faked into a neat "monkey chain."  Hang it on a hook!  Phone and data cords will get coiled up into a loop that I can pass my fist thru, and the last two turns of coil are used to retain the shape.  I will do this even if the cords are hanked or "elbow-coiled."

Ropes - Coils and hanks aren't good enough - they MUST be monkey-chained, and hung so that the chain can be unlocked and unchined immediately!

The catch is, I don't know how much of this is training and how much is my innate wierdness anymore...  I think I have always been like this...

Shoes - "Bar at the bottom, X at the top."  I will try to make them mirror images of each other, but the last eyelets have to be gone thru from OVER, not UNDER.  The first set from OVER as well...

Perhaps it's a touch of madness?

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Bunghole,

Rule 347, Boy Scout Handbook:  NEVER reveal any quirks of character to invdividuals with whom you are planning to camp.  This can lead to some devious mind games played upon you by those individuals....

You going to ETH HUNFUNSUNGUN in October, right....  [evil grin]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Bridged at the bottom holes, laced right over left all the way up, excess tucked inside the shoe or boot.

Why?..... Because Senior Drill Instructor Gunnery Sergeant Puente wouldn't allow it any other way. Old habit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Like my brother in TX. we have Boots !! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bunghole,

Rule 347, Boy Scout Handbook:  NEVER reveal any quirks of character to invdividuals with whom you are planning to camp.  This can lead to some devious mind games played upon you by those individuals....

You going to ETH HUNFUNSUNGUN in October, right....  [evil grin]
View Quote

If anyone fucks with my shoes... [pissed]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bridged at the bottom holes, laced right over left all the way up, excess tucked inside the shoe or boot.

Why?..... Because Senior Drill Instructor Gunnery Sergeant Puente wouldn't allow it any other way. Old habit.
View Quote

Bridged at the bottom holes???
what do you mean by this?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lacing shoes properly means one has OCD?  [shock]

Crap!  Now what do I do?  [:O]
View Quote

Yahoo!!!  good news for ya...
You are now "Handicap" and will recieve all the protection from the Americans with disablites Act..

Now go out and enjoy your new found "status" and go park in the handi cap spots at wally world.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I straight-lace dress shoes and cross-lace boots.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:05:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bridged at the bottom holes???
what do you mean by this?
View Quote

Feed the lacing into the bottom right and left eyelets from above. Continue to feed the lacing into the eylets from above all the way up the boot. When tightened, the lace will be sitting on top of the panel that the eyelets are in. This will allow you to cut the lacing away more easily, should your boot need to be removed quickly (i.e. overboard, surgery, stepped on a mine and have to do that cool trick with a bayonet, two ammo cans, and a good friend like R. Lee Ermey, etc.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top