Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 11:50:37 AM EDT
'Is that a spy in your pocket or are you just ...?'

This was forwarded from a friend's INFOSEC dept. so it is probably credible.

[url=www.comlinks.com/mag/pocket.htm]Pocket Spy[/url]

--LS  (Just looking out for you guys! [8D])
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Just one more reason I have resisted getting a cell phone.   They can't track you if you don't have a cell phone.

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
This guy need to adjust his tin foil hat. 98% of the article is balony. The rest is nothing to be scared of. Any time a person transmits with a radio it is subject to RDF(radio direction finding) and eavsdropping. as far as turning on your cell phone by remote and eavesdropping on your converstion--fantasy.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]
correction to peregrine....turning the phone on remotely is not possible...but if it is on all the things which were listed are possible...and as far as eavesdropping.....you have no idea what can be used against you...look up Tempest systems....
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost all of this article is true. Phones cannot be remotely powered up. Once up, they can and do send beacon info as to where it's at to cell towers. All the time, 100% of the time. Problem is, it's only accurate to that cell tower coverage - 5 miles or less.

They can and do intercept calls, they can and do track phones.

I worked in the industry for a number of years. I was a technician then engineering assistant with the R&D group with Allen Telecom in Reno from 1990 to 1997. We developed infrastructure for CDMA/TDMA PCS digital networks.

If you are on the lam, deep six the cell phones and get line of sight UHF or HF radios. Talk in code. Get rid of the modern technology and go "old school". I never use wireless for anything important that I care about evesdropping. I also use encryption where I can. I am now a security engineer in IT for Honeywell International.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe you know something I don't about cell phone design. I guess "they" have been keeping "it" a big secret from the system designers and physical layer designers(such as myself)that have been working in this field for the last fifteen years. I would think that a conspiracy of such proportions would be hard to keep from the people that actually design the systems. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought this was going to be a post about Mr. Happy. Oh well....    [sex]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Peregrine---what conspiracy?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]

It is possible to locate your position to 150ft or less,tell what floor your are on in a highrise if your cell phone is on in most cities right now with the help of the network provider

who cares are you hiding something ?

Cell 911 will save live
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#11]
It is all tracked by the ESN in the phone. All systems keep logs and the providers can tell what area you are in - how would they know if you are to be charged for "roaming" if they couldn't track the position of the phone?????

A cell phone sends two signals, one for the actual conversation, one to indicate location to a repeater or cell tower to increase or decrease output signal of the phone.  If you can provide info on the person, a cell provider could give a relative position to the requesting authority. Good thing is that these providers are PRIVATE companies and do not give that info freely.

I doubt that an active phone could be programmed from the provider to actually send a conversation without you keying in a number and press send, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Data transmission and cell tracking dates back to the original analog cell phones, Motorola "bricks" from the '80's.

I would doubt that they keep position records of where a person actually travels without setting up a trace program in advance. They don't keep movement activity maps on every user. They could do a real time track at the provider, though.

This is fact.

Edited to say: If I remember correctly, "Designers" - you, take information from "Engineers" - me, and make a dimensional drawing to manufacture. I have yet to see a "Designer" engineer a completed product. Not to flame you, of course. I worked on the cell tower infrastrure design - antenna's, combiners, filters, power amps and digital interface switching systems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top