Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 6:44:45 AM EDT
I'm currently using 10W-30 motor oil, but that stuff starts making my rifle jam after 150 rounds. Seems to start gumming up with the burnt powder and making a gooey black concoction. Anyway, what do you guys have success with.

And most importantly how much and where to apply it.

I think I'm over lubing my rifle.  Is that bad?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you serious?!?

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Serious about what?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Glide....
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Motor oil is too darn heavy for this use. I have used it for a preservative before. Get a good gun oil.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I use two different types of lube:
When I've just cleaned the thing, I apply a thin layer of Tetra gun grease over the contact points on the bolt carrier, bolt, and charging handle.  Makes everything slide like butter.

After I've been firing it a while, I use BreakFree CLP.  This is a great lube when your rifle is seeing some action.

And that's all I ever use.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Motor oil is too darn heavy for this use. I have used it for a preservative before. Get a good gun oil.
View Quote

How much and where to apply it
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I hurd that peepole knew to ar15s'
shuld dry fire there rifle till they get yoused to them. I think that meens no oil.

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How much and where to apply it
View Quote

I pretty much give everything a light coating of CLP or LSA.  If you are trying to remove gummy crud from WD40 or something, use a thicker coat of CLP and let it soak for a while.  I just wipe the bolt/carrier and the rest of the steel parts off with a rag when I am done and it leaves a thin film that works just fine.

I hear that LSA and CLP also work on GLOCKS.  So, you might even give them a try there.

(edited to add reference to the other plastic gun)
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#9]
[:D] Spit......or Astroglide !
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help guys, Do you think Walmart carries CLP & Tetra.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody, besides me, try Wilson Combat "Ultima Lube"?

Grease or oil in the syringes?

It was recommended to me by a 1911 fanatic and I was very impressed with it after a full days worth of shooting the M15.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Miltec-1 seems to word quite well on my Pre-ban Colt. And the weapon cleans easily.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up some Break Free CLP at Wally World, anybody know where to get the Tetra.  I have some Militay surplus gun grease.  Maybe I could substitute that for the Tetra Grease, or not.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Just use the CLP.
Tetra will not stop rust.

What do you use to clean the bore?

[url]http://www.snipercountry.com/hottips/Cleaning.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want to use a real lubricant instead of the "well its good enough for the Army" stuff try using some of the products from Sentry Solutions. If a lubricant is all that you are after Smooth Kote and Hi Slip grease will do wonderfully for you. For protection try using Tuff Cloth and Tuff Glide. These are simply the best lubricants you'll find, just look in the cleaning section at the reviews and you'll see that I'm not FOS.

Other than the grease, obviously, their products aren't greasy or oily to the touch and don't reek to high heaven either.

Research the stuff a little and if you're interested drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a sample, you definitely need to try this or something other than motor oil.

I have a few more samples for others who are truly interested in a dry lube, I'm not the manufacturer so I had to buy my samples and my supply is limited. I truly believe in this stuff or else I wouldn't be offering to give it away to my fellow AR15.com members.

Jake
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had good luck with FP-10. it seems to stick to the metal parts better than Break-Free, without being too thick.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I like Crisco, sans that I'll use Bardol or if I'm out of both I'll use a little Vagasil. If I'm completely broke and out of everything I'll just rub a little jalapeno in my nose [:)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I use 50/50 transmisson fluid and hydrolic fluid, Tetra smells like cow shit!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I am a devotee of CLP - it work on just about everything (I even use it on door hinges and locks!) and I can find it at my local surplus store.  

I get the half pint bottle for about $10.  I have to take it to the hardware store after I get it (I pop the bottle seal, add a half dozen ball bearings, and get it put in the paint shaker!) but it works well and the price is right.

Keep it on an open shelf.  Once you get the milsurp stuff mixed, shaking it a couple times a month is enough to keep it that way - especially with the bearings in the bottom of the bottle...

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Use Lubricant Preservative.  It doesn't have the cleaner in it so it lubes and preserves better.
Just use Brake Cleaner to clean the fouling out of the rifle action.  A small plastic bristle brush helps.

I like the brake cleaner made by 3M, it doesn't seem as nasty as others.  Carburetor cleaner is just too fumey and toxic IMO.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I tried but the wife kinda' freaked out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Hope she didn't chop anything off!!![;D]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I tried but the wife kinda' freaked out.
View Quote

LMAO, you will not beleive the picture I have in my mind on this one!!!  [bounce]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top