Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2001 3:45:31 AM EDT
I just bought a Colt Match Target AR that has a compensator on it that looks as if it were pressed on and then four set screws are tightened into the barrel... I do not care for this method however If I take it off it is going to take off a great deal of the finish.  My question is will a compensator on the end of the barrel hold properly?
[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 4:04:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure, but curious myself.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had the set screws loosen up constantly.They need to be secured regularly.Other than that no problem.
View Quote

Ever try any loctite? I would think it might help.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 4:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Locktite the set screws.  I have one on my Oly M4 type, and it's been flawless.

[frag]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 4:14:09 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends on how it was "installed". Who makes the comp? Smith comps instruction sheet states you must "dimple" the barrel for maximum hold. When a drill is started into material deep enough so just the point penetrates, that is referred to as a dimple. I would advise having this done if it isn't and you want to keep the brake.
As far as the effectiveness, I have had a couple Smith brakes and I liked them. They definitely make the weapon louder. [:D] Milldude
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 4:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
OOPS! Forgot that as well. Use a little Loctite on the set screws (I use #242).[:D] Milldude
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one on a mini-30. To be installed properly you need to drill countersink holes into the gun barrel. I didn't do that and it blew off after about 10 rounds. I couldn't tell much difference with it on or off. The 7.62x39mm doesn't have enough recoil to make it worthwhile, and I would expect the .223 doesn't either.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 4:20:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I do not know who made the break.  I purchased the weapon used.  The guy needed the money and other than him not knowing his head from his butt about the proper cleaning of the gun, it has had "very" few rounds shot thru it.
[flag]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I installed a brake on my AK, a pin on type, and I have to say, the difference was phenomenal.  (I locktited that one too)

[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#9]
yes,
as said if your going to keep the unit on the barrel remove the set screws,and apply locktite then re-torgue the screws back in place.

i saw a compensator at a local shop in a basket of broken parts,it looked like it got loose and walked up the barrel enough to get in the path of a bullet,not pretty.:)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top