Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2002 9:14:06 AM EDT
Part1
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/723774/posts[/url]
Part 2
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/724735/posts[/url]

And yes Wisconsin's own shame...Les Asplin..who couldn't/wouldn't stand up to Clinton
which of course is exactly why he was picked for Sec Def imo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Every time I read something like this, I am reminded of Wisconsin's own, the late Les Aspin, Clinton's Sec. of Defense and his decision, (probably influenced from the top, (Clinton)) not to send in requested equipment.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, how moving.

What a great response from the dad.

Can anyone fill me in on how Clinton was pointing the figure at the Bush admin?

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#3]
A very tragic and unnecessary politically motivated ennervation and exposure of a combat unit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
My compliments to this veteran and proud father. Had I been the father of one of those killed in Somalia, I can assure you that my response letter to that fucking coward would have been FAR less polite. Hell, it probably would've generated a Secret Service investigation...
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]
You know, I always had great respect for Les Aspin, WI because he had very good knowledge of military issues like Sen. Nunn of GA, but I think he was corrupted by the Clinton administration and their unreasonable military defense positions.  RIP Les Aspin.

You have to say this family had guts to send back a short and to the point letter to the President about how they (justifiably) felt.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The Clintons don't care how many people hate them. They have no conscience.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#7]
When the Clintons came to power, he was to become the domestic president. Unfortunately, in the real world things don't work like that, especially since the USA is only only super power left. He had only a passing interest in foriegn affairs, and big interest in domestic affairs. But foriegn affairs comes with the territory. In my view, everyone in that administration below Hillary was on very short leash, and they tolerated very little dissent. The tanks and AC130 was probably denied by Clinton personally. But not to defend Bill, the author of Blackhawk Down at the end of the book, also wondered whether armor would make a difference because of the cramped streets, and whether the AC130s be of any help since there was so many innocents around.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Notice Clintons hand go between the stewardess' legs, to which she immediatley radios for help, and th photographer tries to tackle him...

[img]http://home.socal.rr.com/picsgifs/images/Bill/clintonair1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But not to defend Bill, the author of Blackhawk Down at the end of the book, also wondered whether armor would make a difference because of the cramped streets, and whether the AC130s be of any help since there was so many innocents around.
View Quote

Yeah, I would have to agree with that. The biggest mistake is that the military underestimated the Somali militia. We thought they didn't have the capability to shoot down our helicopters, but they ingeniously modified their RPGs to fire at high angles. I would also add, the military planners had little to no back up plan when to shit started to go down. The 10th Mountain should have already been mobilized, and ready to join the fray on a moments notice. Not excusing Bill, but the mission was flawed from the beginning. If it hadn't been for those brave "little bird" pilots, it would've turned into another Little Big Horn.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But not to defend Bill, the author of Blackhawk Down at the end of the book, also wondered whether armor would make a difference because of the cramped streets, and whether the AC130s be of any help since there was so many innocents around.
View Quote

Yeah, I would have to agree with that. The biggest mistake is that the military underestimated the Somali militia. We thought they didn't have the capability to shoot down our helicopters, but they ingeniously modified their RPGs to fire at high angles. I would also add, the military planners had little to no back up plan when to shit started to go down. The 10th Mountain should have already been mobilized, and ready to join the fray on a moments notice. Not excusing Bill, but the mission was flawed from the beginning. If it hadn't been for those brave "little bird" pilots, it would've turned into another Little Big Horn.
View Quote

OT: The pilots of those little birds were given a silver star for their efforts. The USA guys on the ground would have gotten their butts kicked if it was not for them. For the folks that did not read the Mark Bowden's Black Hawk Down, but saw the movie; in the movie the little birds made one run, but in the book, the Little Birds flew many missions through out the night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top