BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2002 12:34:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:09:22 AM EDT
[#1]
When did you get a job?
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't Sports Authority owned by K-Mart?  If so, that would explain a lot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Just another reason to support your local gun store.

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds typical of Sports Authority. Just be glad you're not in Illinois, like me, or you'd of left the store empty-handed. 1 day wait on long guns.

Not sure on that one. This particular Sport's Authority is in the same strip mall with an Office Max, a Sam's Club, and a Kmart so it would be kind of strange for 2 Kmart stores to be in the same parking lot...
View Quote

Wow. There's a strip mall here, with those same stores. Must be a conspiracy. If you tell me there's a Home Depot, as well, I'll start loading up the arsenal.

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Isn't Sports Authority owned by K-Mart?  If so, that would explain a lot.
View Quote

I think they are also.

I bought a 10/22 at K-Mart. Went in late one evening and looked at what they had. The only one was the display model so I took a look at it. It had a little rust on the front sight and a couple of small scratches on the stock. Neither of these concerned me because I was planning on installing a target barrel and a Houge stock.
After a considerable time trying to get someone to sporting goods a woman comes to help me. Of course she doesn't normally work in sporting goods so she has no clue what to do, so she's off to find someone else. By now I've already been there for at least a half an hour. She comes back with another woman and we commence with the paper work.
While we were filling out the forms, we discussed the condition of the rifle and I got them to take off 10%. While she is calling for the check, she looks at me and says that if everything checks out I will be able to pick up the gun in three days. I just started laughing!!! She ask me why I was laughing, so I told her I was not going to have to wait three days to buy a gun. She looks at me as serious as can be and says "Everyone Has to wait a three day period before buying a weapon." I told her to just wait while they did the check and that I had just purchased a 9mm two weeks before which required going to the police dept., getting a purchase permit, going to the FFL and buying the pistol, and returning to the police dept. to register the weapon. This took me all of 45 minutes. She was in the middle of telling me again that I was going to have to wait when the guy came back on the other end of the phone. She wrote down some stuff, hung up the phone, handed me the rifle, looked at the other woman in disbelief, and said "they just said to give him the gun".
I walked out of there shaking my head, thinking, this place is run by a bunch of idiots.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I, too, have been mistreated by Sports Authority, which is why I will never shop there.  I don't know why they bother selling firearms at all, the way they treat their customers.

I WAS going to buy a gun from them but the guy behind the counter had this running commentary about how he just couldn't understand why people buy such things.

This was the guy at the Gun Counter.  This was back in a time when a FL Concealed Carry Permit meant no background check, just note the license and pass over the goods, mac.  And this twit wanted to play games.

He could play games all he wanted.  I went across the street to Jumbo Sports and had my brand-new Smith & Wesson snubby in about an hour (and THAT was with shopping for accessories) This was, of course, WAY before S&W sold out to Slick Willie.  Too bad Jumbo Sports is outta business.  How come all the good shops go under and we end up having to deal with the crumb-bums?

Panz
[bounce]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I worked at the Jumbo Sports store here in Nashville when it was open. We were basically like a gun shop, counters were glass & we handed over whatever one wanted to look at & actually waited on more than one person at a time. Yes! We did.

Then SA bought them out but I was gone by then. I went back when they were having their "out of business" sale & the guns were all behind glass "walls" & the salesmen would only unlock one gun at a time & show that one & then lock it back up.

Thank goodness for gun shows!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quality post Shadowblade! hey at least you got the gun, good things take time right...
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I was at a store (that normally does not sell ammo) and the clerk, a ditzy woman (sorry), said that she was afraid of the ammo.

What?  I thought, that's just ammo.  It ain't gonna do anything just sitting there.

A lot of the population that live in cities (urbanites) have no clue.  More and more of them have no idea the true history of the US and the firearm.  At one time, you could walk in and buy a pistol and walk out right at that moment (if I recall).  Heck, Sears use to sell firearms.

I still think that in high school, all students should be required to take a firearms safety class.  Granted, a lot of inner city people would say you're teaching gang 'bangers' to be more leathal.  Nothing big, just 22LR bolt action or single shot rifles.  It'll teach them respect for it (I hope.)  I can dream can't I......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top