Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2002 7:56:41 PM EDT
In the last 2 weeks I have gone through roughly 10 different video rentals from my local Family Video outlet, all older movies.  Of those, 1 (one) worked.  The rest jumped, skipped, self ejected, or otherwise failed.  All of the failed tapes had visible damaged tape when opening the flap to inspect.  

Wow, one success.  

I knew tapes don't age well, and now that they are indeed begining to age on those shelves, it's becomeing apparent that they [b]really[/b] don't age well.  

I need a DVD player.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree, DVD is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
VHS is a has been, it was a nice journey while it lasted, but DVD will do nicely till the next gen. which I think will not come to quickly.  I will NOT buy another VHS.  I'm slowly replacing my collection with DVD.

from what I recall, there was a push to 'rescue' old film.. and a while back the were discovering that tape was losing quality quickly as it sat on shelves.

Digital is a saviour.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In the last 2 weeks I have gone through roughly 10 different video rentals from my local Family Video outlet, all older movies.  
View Quote

Videotape in itself isn't too bad if properly stored and handled.  I have many 8 and 10 yr old tapes that are still in great condition.  Like most analog media, they deteriorate with use.

The biggest problem is that the ones you're renting have been watched far more often than any one video you might own.  Plus they have been banged around, left in hot cars, and endured God knows what other kinds of abuse.

There's no excuse not to get a DVD player.  It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to work.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
This is your problem, your local family video outlet buys their tapes out of the "bargin bins" at Blocksucker and the other national rental places, when they should have been sent off to the local plastic recycler.

If you want the geeks version then go here:
[url]http://www.nta.org/Publications/TechnicalReports/TechnologyAssessments/TechAssessmentFinalReport1994/11_arch_stability.html[/url]

"video rentals from my local Family Video
outlet, all older movies"
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I would love to go to DVD, but...

I want to RECORD!! A DVD-RW would be nice, but there isn't a decent standard, MPAA hates the idea.

As you can tell, I don't rent much. But I do record shows (HBO, Showtime, ect).

So I will keep my VCR. Keep it going with bailing wire and duct tape if I have to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top