Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2002 6:22:49 PM EDT
I bought my first Dell computer tonight.

Pentium 4 2K ghz
256MB SDRAM
20 gig HD
GeoForce Graphic Card
Windows XP "BTW, I hate it"
Harmon Kardon Speakers
19" Sony Trinitron "Do you think this is too big to surf on AR-15.com [:D]

Total $1125  

I was pissed because they charged me sales tax of 6%.  The sales person said that they had a service center in Kentucky and had to collect the tax.  Out of all the states in the United States KY was one of the five! I guess those rednecks surf the web too! [:D]  I wasn't planning on getting the 19" Trinitron, but at the moment I have a 15" Sony Trinitron and LOVE it.  Do you think the 19" was overkill?  BTW, I never play games or any of that nonsense.  Hope I'm happy with it and the DELL salesman were extremely helpful and nice!

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You pay sales tax in every state when buying a Dell.  Stupid but true.  Had to when I got my laptop...

Think you got jipped on RAM and HD (don't know enough about soundcard and graphic cards) but overall doesn't look like you got jipped to bad.  Then again I doubt you'll be using it for games and stuff so its probably enough for you (although I usually recommend to people to get at least a 30 or 40 gig HD)...also assuming the price is including tech support.  Haven't seen the tests for the P4 2 gig yet but overall the comp looks alright...

Bigger the monitor the better.  I had no idea what it'd be like when I go from my 19 inch to the 17 inch monitor before I got my comp a year ago.  Its a totally different way of looking at things.  Shoot, wish I had the money o upgrade to a 21 or better monitor now, the bigger the better...[:D]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, since you asked...

You probably paid a little too much.  Dell has an outlet center on its website where you can buy some of the 'older' systems for alot less.

Mine is a 1.6 GHZ Pentium 3  (I think it is a 3, I am not sitting in front of it)
20 Gig HD
256 Ram
10/100 Ethernet Card
56k Modem
No speakers (I have plenty already)
No Monitor (Using a 17")
$599.00

I actually used the Dell website price to bargain for an HP at Comp USA.  Got the HP with same specs for 550.00

You might be paying for 'more' than you actually need.  Unless you are doing some high end gaming, image manipulation, CAD, Digital Movie editting, then tone down your specs and save some serious cash.

Really, just how much processing power do you need to surf the web, or type a document, or run a spreadsheet...?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#3]
nice system, i am suprised it did not come with ddr memory though, and a bigger hard drive
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
nice system, i am suprised it did not come with ddr memory though, and a bigger hard drive
View Quote

Ack just noticed it wasn't DDR.  Good call.  Get DDR dude...
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
While Dell does have good equipment, a lot of gun owners have passed on them because of their anti-gun history.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Dell decriminates against gun owners and companies!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a 19" monitor and now I cant use anything smaller. These old tired eyes aint what they used to be.
I do wish it was a Sony Trinitron though!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#9]
One day you will see the 21" superflats... then the coveting will begin...

[8D]

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry but the whole Dell gun thing was blown out of proportion.  Not saying their pro gun or anti gun but until I see something more that shows what their stance really is, I'll consider them neutral and I'll continue to buy Dell products every 5 or so years...[:)]

Unless I see a better deal and am not to lazy to build my own...
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude, you got a delll[:)]

well anyhoo, have fun
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Just checked and it does have DDR SDRAM.  What is the DDR?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quite aside from the issue of putting a little more cash in the goddamn "Dell Dude's" pocket, I refuse to ever again pay anything like that kind of money for a computer or computer-related paraphernalia.  At least I managed to sell my first and only computer (486/33) that I paid $1200 for to someone for $500 before it got too worthless.

I've thrown obsolete computing devices in the trash too many times to put any more money into technology than I absolutely have to.

About every 2 years I will pay about $250 to upgrade my system to an acceptable level.  I hate futzing around with PC guts but I hate paying for a "new" system even more.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#15]
DDR=Double Data Rate

It is faster memory it makes the machine operate faster than one with non-DDR memory.

Which Geforce chipset? Geforce 4, Geforce 3, Geforce 4MX, Geforce 2 ect.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Dell makes good computers, but I hate their commercials!! I hate them so much I have to chance the channel when they come on.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but the whole Dell gun thing was blown out of proportion.  Not saying their pro gun or anti gun but until I see something more that shows what their stance really is, I'll consider them neutral and I'll continue to buy Dell products every 5 or so years...[:)]

View Quote

Blown out of proportion?!?! Dell refused to sell a PC to a company because their name was gun related! If you think that Dell isnt anti-gun YOU ARE KIDDING YOURSELF.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Max, I think it was the basic Geoforce.  It was like $30 extra.  The standard was the RAGE 32MB.  Do you think the extra $30 was a waste for the Geo?  BTW, I'm not a gammer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dell makes good computers, but I hate their commercials!! I hate them so much I have to chance the channel when they come on.
View Quote

Heh whats wrong?  Don't like spazzed out guys trying to pawn their wares?  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Blown out of proportion?!?! Dell refused to sell a PC to a company because their name was gun related! If you think that Dell isnt anti-gun YOU ARE KIDDING YOURSELF.
View Quote

Yes because of some stupid law created by the Federal government.  Not saying it was right but you telling me companies never screw up or handle every situation well trying to sell a product to a person and/or business?  Shoot it seems like 1 or 2 guys every week in this forum alone (and its probably more since I don't read every thread) whine about this and that by companies that sell gun related products...
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Duuude your gettin jipped.
no branded computer co builds GOOD gamer-class systems. gamers build their own. which I do. which leads to my very nasty habit of disparigeing dells, compaq, hp, ect in front of bestbuy sales people talkin to customers(but i do it all in a nice way, unless the sales idiot out and out lies.... like one time..). I tend to steal their customers from them to my buisness(not really mine, my dads).

not only do my systems perform better due to QUALITY components being used, they cost less to.

now if your not going to majorly play games, just netsurf, email, the occasional bout of Quake3 / UT / CS, then a dell is okay. but otherwise its crap.

my suggestion.. take it to the range... as a target.... for a 50 BMG.

i will admit to them being better in one situation Educational/Corperate. these two entites can benefit from a standardized system layout for imaging and rollout of new software. IF i had to select one for such a use it would be dell. the lesser of all evils.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Heh whats wrong?  Don't like spazzed out guys trying to pawn their wares?  [:D]
View Quote

Exactly!! very well put..
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#23]
IMHO frag it, and have someone build you one...Just wait untill you need their customer support and wait and wait
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Max, I think it was the basic Geoforce.  It was like $30 extra.  The standard was the RAGE 32MB.  Do you think the extra $30 was a waste for the Geo?  BTW, I'm not a gammer.
View Quote

GEFORCE.. not GEOFORCE ;)

yes it was a good 30 buck use. the rage is a very old chipset and can 1024X768X16Bit. anything higher goes to 256 color. the geforce is far better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Dell's (and any of the other branded computers) suck for one reason: If you crash the hard drive and need to slick it after the warrenty is gone you are SOL. The driver disc's only have the basic stuff, so after you reload it you don't have a "Dll" anymore, you have an expensive (and brain dead) computer.

Build your own using an Intel 845G based mobo, P4 2.4 / .013 and PC2100 DDR memory.
You'll have a computer that will smoke that Dell.  

I went from a 15 inch monitor to a 21 inch monitor. I'll never go back, even for a flatscreen.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Somewhat overpriced, but not bad, however, I woul dnever ever buy a DELL, mainly because they are AntiGun, I really despise their commercials, I woudl pay to see that kid given a Rectal Exam with an Ice Auger and well, I find that they are underpowered for what I need. Of course I do play games and all that fun stuff. So for my money, I just build my own [smash]

Besides, if I am going to overpay for soemthing, I would rather pay for ammo and guns [devil]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You pay sales tax in every state when buying a Dell.  Stupid but true.
View Quote

Not here in Delaware. We have NO sales tax and only 2.3% sales tax on new automobiles.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#28]
[/quote]
not only do my systems perform better due to QUALITY components being used, they cost less to.

my suggestion.. take it to the range... as a target.... for a 50 BMG.
[/quote]

I will agree 110% on that!!!

Dells are the biggest pain in the ass ever to exhist in the computer world.  Us computer tech's hate them.  parts have to come directly from dell. the "lowest bidder" is the one contracted in your area to work on the thing if something goes wrong.  customers usually get sick of waiting for the "computers-r-us" company working on the machine to get it fixed, or they have to ship it somewhere (you pay shipping). either way we end up with it comming into our shop.
Yea, we can fix em but YOU have to pay.  Dell won't.  

Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have problems.

it takes us twice as long to work on a dell, compaq, hp, acer, whatever.

the only off-the-shelf system i have seen to be worth the money is Pionex.  

Custom build from a computer repair/service shop is the best.  it may cost a bit more, but the warranty is usually just as long and you can get house calls.

[chainsawkill]

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#29]
[img]http://bencurtis2002.tripod.com/steve2.jpg[/img]

[size=5]Dude - You're gettin' a Dell![/size=5]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#30]
So if I needed a new computer, nothing to fancy, where should I buy?  Which of the on-line places are good?  Is there an unbiased comprison site? (I think Cnet/computer shopper push certain stuff).  
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:53:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So if I needed a new computer, nothing to fancy, where should I buy?  Which of the on-line places are good?  Is there an unbiased comprison site? (I think Cnet/computer shopper push certain stuff).  
View Quote

I build a shit load of computers every year.  I buy most of my components from [url]www.newegg.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top