Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2002 5:38:10 PM EDT

3 freaking times!!!!!!!!!!! < in one 4 hour period!!>

Man, I REALLY need a vacation...

First time :
During lunch.. No big deal.. grab a hanger an 30 secs later I'm in..

2nd Time:
During the end of my last break.. I think to myself "DAMN your freaking stupid!!" but I can get in in 30 secs so not really a big deal... I start looking for the hanger I used during lunch.... Found it on the seat right next to my keys.. [whacko]  Dont have time anymore so ..I go back to work and call the road side service from my cell... 30 minutes later road side service pulls up .. guy jumps out ... wada wada wada.. 30 secs later .. hes done..

3rd time: < 3rd time was within 5 minutes of the 2nd time >
During the sec time a couple of people are out there just laughing and pointing.. < all in good fun... would of poped a round into the crowd but my truck was locked you see...>
the tow truck guy is at the edge of the parking lot making the turn to leave and I think to my self "Better get the keys now" .. but I decied to close the door first ... now keys are stuck in there again..

I need a [red][size=4]vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/red][/size=4]

PS

Does not help much that we were informed that the  WorldCom thingy [b]will[/b] affect us earlier today [:(]

We have already started refusing to activate new lines for thier prepaid cell phone service today..

Cluster..

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Man,

Get a magnetic keyholder.  Place a spare key into it.  Hide it somewhere on the frame (theoretically inside the frame, away from mud/water)

Works for me.

Four times in one day, back to back.  That is tough!

TRG
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
And the wife was in the truck each time huh? LOL

Old polish joke.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I learned a long time ago to keep my car keys on a  seperate ring from my other keys. I also keep a spare car key on the ring with my other keys.  I've haven't been locked out since my first time 35 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Finally someone as dumb as me. One time I locked my keys in my car. No big deal I just got my hidden spare and unlocked it. Instead of replacing the hidden key, I used it to drive around and left my original set where they were. Two hours later I had both sets locked in the car. I had to get a slim jim to get em out.

Keyless entry was killing me for a while. It had a valet switch so i would be loading hay or something and my doors would lock with the keys still inside. That makes me furious.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Well .. get this,
about a week ago I was at the supermarket and since I had $1.59 to spare I decieded it would be a good idea to get a copy of my key..  

And there it was right next to the other key today... < same key ring... Hey I figured I GOT an extra key... Ill be alright for now... Ill do it Next week..>

:Banging head against the desk:  

Good news.. today is almost over .
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I would do that occasionally, but I was king of leaving the lights on in my Jeep.  Probably 5 times a year I would need a jump from a coworker or AAA.  Ugh.  It was always that damn fog.

Now I have a car where you lock it with the key, and the lights turn off when you turn the car off no matter what.  Sweet. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude, been there. done that....Put a spare door key in your wallet....Best two bucks I ever spent..
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
never done it that many times in one day, but i do remember nearly slamming my fingers in the door trying to stop it once i had started shutting it as i remembered half way throught the shutting process that my keys were still in the ignition.  doh!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]
You should give me a set of your car keys.
[flag]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I would do it almost every day.  Got to the point where I think I knew the security people at my school by name...think my passenger door is a little messed up because they had to slim jim it open so many times...

Happened when I'd go to the passenger side (sometimes driver side) forget to put the keys in my pocket (instead I put them on the seat) and grab for my bag or some books and slam the door shut...then go dangit!  Don't do it much anymore...used to leave my lights on all the time in High School though, luckily everyone knew me and was willing to give me a jump start...sucked though when I'd have to leave the school at 6pm though.

Whats sad is I was at a radio shack once and locked my keys in the car, however this time the window was slightly open so I asked one of the employees if he had a hanger I could borrow...said sure and he helped me get my keys.  Sat inside, started the car, got home then realized I had my wallet on me the whole time.  Why is this important?  I had one of those spare plastic keys you get from AAA.  Was saying stupid in my head so many times I wouldn't be surprised if my neighbors heard me, wasted maybe 20 or 30 minutes fishing for those damn keys...

Luckily now I work for Firemen...haven't needed their services yet but they're supposedly trained to jimmy a door open so if needed I could use them.  However it was funny watching 5 of them [i]attempting[/i] to open a door for a co-worker and not one could do it.  Kept telling him he had a good theft deterrent door...lol.  Also funny when I find out one of the Captains locks his keys in the car.  Keep telling him to quit complaining, you've got a slim jim in your desk drawer don't ya?  Oh yeah, I'm not a fireman so theoretically I can talk to them like that, although I really shouldn't, love working for those guys, awesome attitude toward stuff...[}:)]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Sheesh, how difficult is it to get into the habit of making it one single movement: turn off engine with key, pull key, pocket key.

I threw my keys [i]into[/i] the vehicle once [i]after[/i] I locked the rig [b][i]and[/i][/b] stood next to it wearing nothing but a rather skimpy, i.e Euro style "anal floss" swimming trunk...in a country where all the words I could say in the local language were "You have no right to detain me! Bring me to my embassy immediately!" Came in in handy, too....
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
The "Lumpy223" award goes to "cluster"! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I carry a extra key in my wallet.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I carry a extra key in my wallet.
View Quote

Get one from Wal-Mart and leave it on the little card thing. It fits right in!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#19]
My truck (Ford) now has the combination-type numbers on the door handle.  Can be a bad habit if I'm driving the wrong vehicle.  I'm surprised that most manufacturers don't have them as standard equipment.
And yes, I'm good at locking my keys in my vehicle also.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

3 freaking times!!!!!!!!!!! < in one 4 hour period!!>
View Quote

SShhhhh!
Cluster...relax, we Texans take enough crap off people without you telling stories like this!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dude, been there. done that....Put a spare door key in your wallet....Best two bucks I ever spent..
View Quote

same thing i do. people say "Doesnt that make it easier to steal" me "not really, they get inside easier but still have to get passed the security system in the bird."which means they have to futz with the computer and if it doesnt get the right key it locks up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I work as a tech at a car dealer and see more cars get locked with the keys in them by customers dropping them off, the porters, detailers, etc, that I am freakin paranoid about it. So much so that if my keys are in the car and I'm not in it, I have a window down.

I will not say any more at this point because I don't want to jinx myself [:)]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I always keep spares to my truck and apartment in my wallet

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#24]
1. Lock your car from the outside, with the key. Don't use the inside auto door locks.

2. Get an extra key and leave it at work.

3. I congratulate you on NOT calling the police, they have better things to do.....
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cluster........

I feel your pain.

The Black Rifle Convention. There I was, parked on the firing line in the middle of a huge farm field in the middle of nowhere. Weather was hot as hell and I am feeling sick due to medication I take (not supposed to be out in the sun). I finally get all my gear loaded up in the truck, after most folks have left for the day, and decide to start it and let the air run for a few minutes before I jump in. The keyless entry God got me. So now I am looking at my locked truck with the motor running, 500 miles from home, and in the middle of nowhere. I worked on that thing for about an hour trying to get in. Eventually the Avilas came along and started trying to get in. Feeling like I was about to find myself in a serious medical state I decided to just knock out the window. I walked out on the range, picked up a bowling pin and was about 2 feet from the rear of the truck when Ed managed to finally pop the lock. VERY lucky on my part.

That night, back at the motel, while standing around outside yakking with a few of the other guys, I realized I had locked my motel room key in my room. I made it to the office just before they closed and got a spare.

It sounds like you had a rough day. The torch has been passed. I feel like a weight has been lifted.
View Quote

As one of the guys at the motel, I am glad to see you have finally been relieved of your burden!!![:D]

I will recount the story I told to Lumpy, et al, at the motel that fateful night:

One night at my local bar, a young lady came back in to ask for help - she had locked her keys in her car. After half an hour of bar patrons trying to gain entry, she called for the police to help. The cops show up, and go to work for nearly an hour with a "slim jim", but to no avail. Now she had damaged weatherstrip and still the keys were in the car. It was about that time that another officer walked around to the passenger side of her car, looking for another strategy, when he went for it - the passenger side door handle. That's right, in all this time nobody had checked the passenger door, which had been unlocked the WHOLE TIME!!!

Feel better?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I've never locked my keys in my truck...other family members have though on too many occasions......1 key in wallet. 1 key in tool box in garage.1 key in zip-loc duc-taped under the truck.[:D] Man you need a vacation...don't forget your keys though!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#27]
[size=6]BIG TIP[/size=6]

Don't try to gain entry to a vehicle from the driver's side - ALWAYS use the passenger side.

If you screw something up - it'll be on the passenger side.

Last time I made a point of this was about two years ago.  A mechanic friend was kindly attempting to get into my wife's locked car with a kit.  He walks over to the driver's side, but I stopped him and asked him to please use the passenger side - he looked puzzled.  I explained that if the lock or window mechanisms or weatherstripping or whatever was gonna get messed up, I wanted it to happen on the passenger side.  He says "ok" and strolls over to the passenger side.  About 5 minutes later, as he's trying to torque his tool around in the door, the window explodes!!!

Lots of our friends were there - too bad about the window, but I did get one primo "I told you so" out of it!  [:D]

People always get into their vehicles from the passenger side from force of habit.  When I'm just getting something out of the car/truck, not "mounting up", I open the passenger door.  Less wear on the hinges, striker, and latch on that driver's door will help it last.  I've seen lots of older cars that are "little old lady to church and back" cream puffs that needed lots of alignment work/parts replacement on the drivers door only.  Anal - yes.  Logical - yes.  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Get one from Wal-Mart and leave it on the little card thing. It fits right in!
View Quote

Just make sure you test it!  I have  a lot of copies of keys for company cars, doors, customer safes, customer doors, etc., made and over half of the time, they don't work!  I haven't had any better luck with a professional locksmith than I've had with chain stores.  Test it before you depend on it.

If you can, get a plastic key to carry in your wallet.  I got Wal-Mart to make one for me about 10 years ago.  They're much more comfortable to carry in your wallet than a metal key.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top