BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2002 5:07:01 PM EDT
[url]http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/53547.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, wait, I bet he's a union member, right?

Wanna guess whether or not the union stands by their man?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Boomer says:

It's the evil business, not the worker.  Repeat: business conspiracy, not union member worker.  Now if he was non-union, that would be different, it would obviously be his fault.

Redmanfms says:

Unions stand by unsafe shitheads who have seniority.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I know the operator in question. He's always been a good guy in the seat,  but the press says he had a BAC of .7 and the accident happened at 7:30 am on a Sunday. Sounds like somebody was out all night and then made an error in judgement.

Regardless of how  CitadelGrad87 feels about Local Union 15, a conviction for operating under the influence will see his NYS Operator's License revoked. And the NYC Dept. Of Bldgs./ Cranes and Derricks will rip into him as well.

So, "standing by their man or not" he's fucked. Just lucky nobody was injured.
View Quote

Just funnin' ya.

I know nothing about THAT particular union, but I do work with unions in my day to day job, and you've got to admit, sometimes it aint purty.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
IIRC, didn't a drunk crane operator drop the entire rig off the side (28 floors?) of a NYC building about 5 years back. Killed 3 people or something like that?  
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Just curious, but what type of crane was it? Tower, cable, Hydro? If it was a boom crane, wether cable or hydro, 35 ton capacity is a REAL small crane.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Helldog I remember that I was one of the first responders to it. That was a unreal accident and how the woman was killed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh yea one more thing maybe like Hell Dog said He had a night on the town...But they will rip into one guy and not remember all the things the crane operators did at the WTC. Without one major accident that I know about. I heard of a truck that turned over and was put on it's wheels again with a payloader and chains

I am not saying it was wrong and that he should not have been operating the crane. I am just sick of the news running to grasp stories and not finding out the whole truth about what happened. People are presumed innocent till found guilty.

I am sure his Union will ream him if he was drinking right before he went to work. How many of us have a Saturday night out and go to work hung over. I know no one here is jumping to conclusions
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Boomer says the guy shouldn't have shown up for work under the influence. He's screwed and he should be. Lucky he didn't injure or kill anyone.

I'm subject to random breathalyzer and UA tests and they are automatically given after being involved in a serious indident or accident. I can have NO measurable amount of alcohol or drugs in my system. First failure is a 6 month suspension without pay. Second time in 10 years and you're gone for good. The union generally won't even bother defending you, as there is usually no good excuse for coming up dirty.

but I do work with unions in my day to day job, and you've got to admit, sometimes it aint purty.
View Quote

That's a two way street.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top