Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2002 4:25:27 AM EDT
FROM THE HOUSTON CHRONICLE:

A newspaper delivery man shot and killed a teenager Sunday morning while apparently trying to defend himself, police said.

The identity of the 47-year-old Houston Chronicle delivery man was not disclosed because he was not arrested and no charges are expected to be filed, police said.

Alvaro Felix Garcia, 16, of the 600 block of Crestline, died of a gunshot wound to the chest during the 4:25 a.m. altercation in the 400 block of Charles, police said.

According to Houston Police Department Officer Breck McDonald, a group of youths approached the delivery man while he was turning his car around, allegedly threw a beer bottle at him and lunged toward him. At that point, the delivery man fired one shot and killed Garcia, said HPD spokeswoman Sandra Aponte.

Garcia is the city's 142nd homicide this year.

The delivery man fled the scene, Aponte said, and safely arrived at his place of work before he called 911.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Well...IF that's the way it went down...pin a medal on that driver's chest.  He just saved out society a lot of future trouble.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#2]
If that had happened in the PRK, the DA would have prosecuted the delivery man for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. But as the old saying goes, "better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6." The govt in Kalif hate it when people do that because they can't justify all of the millions of dollars spent on the criminal justice system.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If that had happened in the PRK, the DA would have prosecuted the delivery man for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. But as the old saying goes, "better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6." The govt in Kalif hate it when people do that because they can't justify all of the millions of dollars spent on the criminal justice system.
View Quote

Well stated.  Why do you think I moved to the Free Commonwealth of Virginia?  We still distrust government out here and the sheriff doesn't get excited about lots of us packing heat.  Damn civil and friendly folks hereabouts too.  Wonder if there's a correlation?

[;D]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well stated.  Why do you think I moved to the Free Commonwealth of Virginia?  We still distrust government out here and the sheriff doesn't get excited about lots of us packing heat.  Damn civil and friendly folks hereabouts too.  Wonder if there's a correlation?

[;D]
View Quote

I think we are Damn civil and friendly folk because we are and thats why.

It's just a great place to live. oh maybe I feel that way cause I got a gun on my belt?

Nahaa its just a great place to live
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I was in the Washington DC area on vacation a few years ago. Beautiful area, but unfortunately no-can-do, as me and the wife got too many family here in the PRK. We have CCWs here in L.A. County, but you have to be somebody special such as a judge, movie star, or retired law-enforcment etc. in order to get one. Retired law-enforcement folks get it automatically after they retire, one of the perks for being in the business so they can moon-light as armed guards. In the a neighborhing Orange County, Mike Corona(solved the Samantha Runnion kidnap/murder case) issues many CCWs, unlike his predecessor Brad Gates which you had to make a monetary donation to his re-election campaign. One of the few large population counties in Kalif to issue CCWs without having to be someone special or connected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top