Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2002 6:51:46 PM EDT
If I were to purchase a rifle in a different state while on vacation.  Could I mail myself the gun to my own address or do I have to go through a FFL dealer?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming you legally purchased the rifle, 4473 and all, yes. When I spent a month in Minnestoa, I had my father ship one of my ARs to me (hey, there was a range near ;) )...since the rifle is not changing ownership, it's all good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:46:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Ownership has nothing to do with it.  A transfer is a transfer even if ownership does not change.  It is legal to send your firearm to yourself in another state.  Someone else sending your firearm to you is not, unless it is being returned after being repaired by a licensee.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me get this straight...I live in Florida, have a CWP, will fly to Michigan this Fall to visit some friends. If I desire to carry while there, (Mich. has reciprocal carry agreement with Fla.) I can "mail" myself a handgun that I own? FedEx? UPS? or US Mail? AND can I have it there awaiting me if I address it to myself BUT
"In Care Of" my friend...who doesnt open the package but just signs for it? Sorry, kind of a long-winded question.       Stay Safe
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
sparky - I think the pistol would need to be fedexed. my inclination would be to ship it and instruct that it be held at the customer counter local to your friends address, and then go and pick it up yourself. i could be wrong.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#6]
AFAIK you are permitted to ship a firearm to yourself for any lawful purpose with certain restrictions:

1. It must be legal in both the state and local jurisdictions that you are shipping it from and receiving it in.

2.  Handguns must be shipped by common carrier. Long guns can be shipped USPS.

3.  They must be shipped by you to your attention and not opened by another party.  

Don't take this as legal advice.  Consult a competent attorney familiar with firearms related law.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Let me get this straight...I live in Florida, have a CWP, will fly to Michigan this Fall to visit some friends. If I desire to carry while there, (Mich. has reciprocal carry agreement with Fla.) I can "mail" myself a handgun that I own? FedEx? UPS? or US Mail? AND can I have it there awaiting me if I address it to myself BUT
"In Care Of" my friend...who doesnt open the package but just signs for it? Sorry, kind of a long-winded question.       Stay Safe
View Quote

Why not get a hard case for it and check it at the luggage counter?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top