BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2002 3:03:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it better than Montreal Steak Seasoning?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
So whats the recipe ???  I have tried his version of tabasco sauce, much better flavor IMO.  We're bigtime chili heads and try most any sauce that looks good and has heat.
[flame]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
BAM.  [:P]

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dude, look at my post up there.
View Quote

Dude, it was'nt there when I started my typing !!! I type so sloooowww, anyway thanks !!! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never tried the Montreal Steak Seasoning.  Might be worth a shot.

I didn't realize you could buy Essence at the store.  Just goes to show you what life is like in southeastern New Mexico.  We miss out on lots of stuff that you guys can get in the big city.

I am always on the lookout for good stuff to rub on steaks!

Any more suggestions?!?
View Quote

mcgrubbs, where in NM are you ?? I have family in Silver City and we spend alot of time around that area. Have you ever eaten at Jalisco's cafe in Silver ??  OoOohhhhh to die for !!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it better than Montreal Steak Seasoning?
View Quote

Ain't nothin better than Montreal Steak Seasoning. IMHO

M4-AK

ps, I get high just sniffing it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree on the Montreal Steak Seasoning...mmmmm.

Mrs.QS bought a can of Essence a couple of months ago - it's damn good on damn near everything.  My favorite so far is using it as a rub on broiled chicken breasts.

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yup. Great stuff. Look for this on your grocer's shelf:

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Big%5FBear%2FP7280003%2EJPG[/img]

Love the Montreal Steak seasoning too. I use McCormick's.
View Quote

Hmmm I saw that at Sams Club last time I was there with the wife.  I'll have to grab some next time and give it a try.  

Big_Bear, nice set of knives.  My wife wants a set of those.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:27:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey Spectre,

So, after I started this thread I went to the store, grabbed a ribeye and some of that Montreal Steak Seasoning you guys were talking about.  Not bad at all, I must say.  Has a good salt base to it.  Seems like it might be easy to over-do it, if you aren't careful though.

View Quote

2 TIPS FOR MONTREAL STEAK

1. (SHAKE IT UP GOOD) The garlic settles out like sand in an hourglass. You have to shake it like crazy before you use it each time or you no get garlic.

2 (PRESS IT INTO THE MEAT) For best results, be sure to rub and press it into the meat before cooking. After you take the steak up from the fire, give the steak a good spritz of soy sauce.

3. (Other Montreals) I use the Montreal Chicken, and Roasted Garlic Chicken but prefer the original "Steak" on most everything including chicken and pork.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's a wet mustard rub that is great on steaks.

[b]Herb Mustard Rub - Marinade for Steaks:[/b]

2 large cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons of water
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
½  teaspoon pepper
½   teaspoon dried thyme leaves
(4) choice/prime cut steaks; (each is about 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick).

In 1-cup glass measure, combine garlic and water; microwave on high 30 seconds.  Stir in remaining mustard ingredients; spread onto both sides of Sirloin Beef steaks. Place steaks on grill over medium heat. Grill steaks, uncovered to the doneness you prefer (rare only, otherwise you've fucked up your steak). Season steaks with salt, as desired. Serves 4
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#21]
(I love food)

With all this discussion about seasonings and spices, I thought I would try something new.  I normally like "Shake and Bake for Chicken", but sometimes it seems kind of bland.  So I took about 4 tablespoons of Montreal Chicken Seasoning and mixed with the S&B in the shaker bag and prepared 3 chicken breasts.

This stuff smelled absolutely [b]tremendous[/b] while it baked.  The taste was freakin' [b]awesome[/b].

[img]junior.apk.net/~scotts/chicken.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#22]
A couple things about the Essence/Emeril recipe's...

First, his homemade seasoning is awesome.  No complaints here.  

For his homemade 'Tabasco', use the 'essence' recipe to make the creole seasoning that is used in the pepper sauce recipe (I think his book was "Life's a Party!").   Also, his recipe for tabasco/pepper sauce tells you to 'strain' the mixture.  DO NOT strain it.  You are removing tons of flavor if you strain it.  Just blend it very well and the consistency is the same as strained.

Last thing.  Consider NOT putting garlic onto a steak prior to grilling.  Garlic is notorious for burning.  Burned garlic is bitter.  Many diners complain about garlic because it is burnt.  

ANY grill spice should be capable of taking lots of heat.  

When making your own grill spice, don't put salt (it draws out moisture) or garlic into the pre-seasoning/marinade/rub.

Add salt/garlic at the table, or after it is removed from the heat.

TRG

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
---snip---

When making your own grill spice, don't put salt (it draws out moisture) or garlic into the pre-seasoning/marinade/rub.

Add salt/garlic at the table, or after it is removed from the heat.

TRG

View Quote

Good tip, TRG.

I like to pan-sear steaks prior to grilling them for this very reason.  Searing "seals" the meat, and makes for very juicy steaks.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't know about this.  You know what Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper said about giving up our essence and corrupting our natural bodily fluids.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Any one want to share a good load for varmint hunting with a .22-250?
View Quote

Not in this forum.  However, if you would be so kind as to post the question in the HUNTING forum ...  [:D]

Moderators are soooo hard to train these days.

TRG

BTW, I have a great recipe for quiche/fritatta if anyone is interested...

2 Large sweet onions, slivered
1 stick of butter
6-8 large eggs
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning blend (basil, thyme, oregano) to taste
2 premade (store bought/frozen) pie crusts

Cook onions in a large pan with butter.  When softened place into a large bowl and combine with eggs, parmesan cheese, spices.

Pour into pie pans.

Bake 45 minutes at 275-325 degrees.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't know about this.  You know what Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper said about giving up our essence and corrupting our natural bodily fluids.
View Quote

You Gotta' Love that movie!
What a classic.

Tall Shadow

P.S.
Thanks RedGoat for the recipe!

(Edited Cuz' I'm Slow)
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Essence for flavor..........SABATIER to cut it.

Dave S

If you think Henckels are worth jumpin' barefoot in a sanitation engineer's storage compartment..........well, hell, satisfying a saber-toothed tiger with a handful of barbed wire, in a phone booth, to get a Sabatier back should be considered a picnic. [BD]  
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

P.S.
Thanks RedGoat for the recipe!

View Quote

No problem.  The quiche/fritatta is one of my wife's 'Special Treats.'  I make it for her when she has been a good girl.

The Two Fat Ladies, from food network, developed the recipe.  Thank them.  I checked the food network site, but the recipe was nto currently available.  ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top