Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2002 11:05:01 AM EDT
Are cameras permitted to be carried onboard with carry-ons?  (small digital cameras).

I haven't flown in a while and was just wondering ---I sure am not going to bring it if I can't carry it myself---i know what happens in check in---.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
100% sure.. YES.

Send it thru the x-ray with your carry on(s) ([u]current[/u] x-rays should be of no bother to regular speed film or electronics, can't speak for any of the older stuff that may be out there somewhere)

Here is the list of prohibited items:

[url]http://www.tsa.dot.gov/trav_consumers/aircraft_prohibit.shtm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a lot guys!!!  I've been looking around on the airline websites and it doesn't really say one way or the other.  I know i can always find the answer on here quick!!!!

Thanks a million!!

Joker223
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Based on my expereinces within the past couple of weeks:

- digital camera in carry-on is okay.
- camcorder in carry-on is okay.
- laptop in carry-on is okay but you have to send it and the carry case through the xray machine seperately.
- 2 knives, 2 Beretta pistols, and 100 rounds of 9mm ammo in checked baggage are okay.  You have to declare them at the counter when you check in.
- There's a nice range being built a few miles south of Inyokern, CA by the NRA.  Nothing fancy, just rifle and pistol with a good berm around the whole thing. [sniper]
- BFG Rugged Trail tires have thin sidewalls that can be punctured by creosote bushes.  [>Q]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
From the Transportation Security Administration web site of prohibited carry-on items:

Toy transformer robots (this toy forms a toy gun)
View Quote

That is the stupidest thing ever.  Well, not really but it is pretty fvcking stupid.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife is a semi-professional photographer.  We just went to Europe and had no problem taking her camera equipment as carry on.  No problems fogging film after many screenings on this trip including an agricultural screening to get back into the USA with tulip bulbs from Holland.  A few years ago all of her film got fried by xray equipment at Honolulu Airport.  She lost two weeks of work.   We have been very skeptical ever since, usually insisting on hand checks and no xrays.  This trip we just gave up and let them xray it.  We just had too many flights involved to keep arguing with them.  No problems.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The more current X-ray machines made by [i]Heimann[/i] and [i]EG&G[/i] (Linescan) should pose no problems to film or electronics.

HOWEVER, there is one machine to watch out for..

The [b]CTX[/b] ([url=http://www.invision-tech.com/products/products.htm]link[/url])

This machine is seeing more and more usage. Particularly if you meet a certain 'profile'.
You may have seen this if you have been to "Secondary Screening".
If you are selected to have your bags run thru this machine, you [u]should be[/u] notified in advance to remove your film.

Here is a typical CTX (a smaller one, the larger ones look very simillar)
[img]http://www.invision-tech.com/images/ctx2500photo.jpg[/img]

and in case you miss it, there is a note about film on their web site:
[url]http://www.invision-tech.com/products/film.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Just don't try to take any pictures of the screening proceedures.  That's a serious no-no in this brave new world.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top