Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2002 7:02:36 PM EDT
I went to my new lease with some of the other guys to fill up the feeders today. I was walking down to the river and stepped off of a ledge and rolled my foot to the inside. That action was accompanied by a loud [b][i]POP[/i][/b]. I can still move it but it is very painful. If I put weight on it and twist, it hurts. If I roll it to the inside, it hurts. If i extend my foot forward and put weight on it, it hurts. When I got home and took my boot off I expected it to be black and blue and swollen. It wasn't. Does this sound like a sprain or something more serious?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a tumor to me...probably cancerous...better cut that sucker off before it spreads.[:D]

Seriously, I did the same thing 2 months ago (inside turn with a pop). I would have sworn it was broke. Lots of ice and 5 days later, I was walking again. It took me almost a month to fully recover.

Good luck and I hope it's a quick healer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
BH,

You may have fractured the fibula, the smaller bone in your lower leg.  I broke mine during a football full speed practice in 1969 while I was in the Navy.  The hit also dislocated my ankle.  The "pop" could be heard across the field.  The pain was instantaneous and excruciating...but actually faded fairly quickly.  After a few minutes, I could actually move my foot a bit...and even put just a bit of weight on it.  I could not walk on it though and the lower outside of the leg at the point of the break was very painful to the touch.  It never showed any bruising at all.  I was later told by the surgeon who fixed me up that the ankle damage was actually worse than the fracture.  It sure ended my football career.

Go to an orthopedic surgeon and have them take an x-ray if it still hurts tomorrow morning.  Don't wait too long or the treatment gets worse.  What you don't want is for it to start swelling up badly...'cause then the medics need to treat the swelling before they can cast it.  That's what happened to me in the hospital and when the morphine wore off late that first night...the pain was excrutiating!  It may only be sprained...but that can sometimes be worse than a break.  In any case, the sawbones will fix you up.  [BD]

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Patient: "Doc it hurts when I do this."
Doc: "So don't do that." [:D]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I was going to take my 4-wheeler out for a ride today but the ankle I messed up is my left. It still hurt this morning so I knew that I wouldn't be able to shift the quad. [:(!] I bought one of those lace up ankle braces to wear until I can get to the doctor tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was going to take my 4-wheeler out for a ride today but the ankle I messed up is my left. It still hurt this morning so I knew that I wouldn't be able to shift the quad. [:(!] I bought one of those lace up ankle braces to wear until I can get to the doctor tomorrow.
View Quote

Probably a good idea.  IF you did fx the damn thing and then IF you somehow whacked it again...you might very well end up with a compound break and that my friend would be real unpleasant.

Good luck tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top