Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2012 4:41:03 PM EDT
The Cavaliers refused the President's Campaign permission to use the UVa as a speech/rally venue.  

Reasons cited:

• The use of either of the desired sites would require closing buildings adjacent to the sites for the entire day.

• The cancellation of 186 classes would occur
    if the site is the Amphitheater or closing of the libraries and Newcomb
    dining if the site is the Harrison-Small plaza. This would result in an
    extraordinary disruption of the second day of the new semester.

• In addition to the disruption to classes, the University would have to bear the full cost of security — a substantial and open-ended expenditure of staff time and money.

• By University policy, we would also have to
    offer the same accommodations and bear the same costs for other
    candidates.  Both our federal and state tax-exempt status requires that
    we not favor any candidate.

• The Secret Service will have final approval
    on the site chosen and will dictate the security requirements, but at a
    minimum the buildings adjacent to the event venue would need to be
    closed on Aug. 29.  Adjacent buildings will be searched and secured with
    officers posted in each starting at least 6 hours prior to the event.

God I love my state!  

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Federal money/grants/aid to suddenly dry-up at UVA.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Obama can ask if the Museum of the Confederacy will host him.  I think they can take about 50 people and that's more than enough.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Ain't Virginia awesome! Sometimes it's good to be a battleground state. Both Zero and Biden made their worse gaffs so far in Virginia.

"Obama can ask if the Museum of the Confederacy will host him. I think they can take about 50 people and that's more than enough".

Nah, go ahead and pile more in and maybe the porch will collape around him. It was sort of rickety looking the last time I visited.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
This seems to be happening over and over.

As unpopular as Bush was toward the end, I can't recall this kind of stuff happening to him.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Cavaliers refused the President's Campaign permission to use the UVa as a speech/rally venue.  

Reasons cited:
  • The use of either of the desired sites would require closing buildings adjacent to the sites for the entire day.
  • The cancellation of 186 classes would occur if the site is the Amphitheater or closing of the libraries and Newcomb dining if the site is the Harrison-Small plaza. This would result in an extraordinary disruption of the second day of the new semester.
  • In addition to the disruption to classes, the University would have to bear the full cost of security — a substantial and open-ended expenditure of staff time and money.
  • By University policy, we would also have to offer the same accommodations and bear the same costs for other candidates.  Both our federal and state tax-exempt status requires that we not favor any candidate.
  • The Secret Service will have final approval on the site chosen and will dictate the security requirements, but at a minimum the buildings adjacent to the event venue would need to be closed on Aug. 29.  Adjacent buildings will be searched and secured with officers posted in each starting at least 6 hours prior to the event.
God I love my state!  

Intel should have said No to Obama when he visited Phoenix... Something like 5,000 workers had to miss a day of work with no pay so he could give a speech about how great he is for creating more jobs at Intel...

ETA: Good job for Virginia!
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good for them, but grab the tinfoil and this.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ain't Virginia awesome! Sometimes it's good to be a battleground state. Both Zero and Biden made their worse gaffs so far in Virginia.

"Obama can ask if the Museum of the Confederacy will host him. I think they can take about 50 people and that's more than enough".

Nah, go ahead and pile more in and maybe the porch will collape around him. It was sort of rickety looking the last time I visited.

No, not the White House of the Confederacy but their modern building next door.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it's pathetic that campaigns don't pay for their own security.

There is a town that is still trying to get paid for costs incurred in 2008 from Obama. Another city in California billed Obama and Romney this year because costs were too high...

Romney paid.

Obama didn't.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There is a town that is still trying to get paid for costs incurred in 2008 from Obama. Another city in California billed Obama and Romney this year because costs were too high...

Romney paid.

Obama didn't.

Someone needs to make an ad  on about that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And the person who said "No" will be facing a tax audit next year
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

UVA is pretty much the best public school in the country and they have some of the best law, politcal science, english, public policy, etc departments in the world. I think they'll manage.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Naw, they'll just get sued by Holder.  Ask S&P or Rasmussen about not bowing and scraping to the chosen one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

UVA is pretty much the best public school in the country and they have some of the best law, politcal science, english, public policy, etc departments in the world. I think they'll manage.

UVA is pretty much a privately funded institution anyway. The law school in particular has money that makes Scrooge McDuck look like a pauper, and they could not give a shit less if somebody takes away their tiny slice of public money. Actually, they might even like it, as they wouldn't have to deal with all the BS and strings that come with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not the White House of the Confederacy but their modern building next door.

Biden would be better for that venue as they have that big slave exhibit in there. Maybe the museum would let him use the shackles and chains as props.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Reguardless of ones political ties I would be surprised if anyone really wants any big name folks to show up in their area and mess up things.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Fucking go hoos!  UVA Law Class of 2003 here.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm surprised security costs and restrictions haven't caused a lot more of this already....
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Y'all are racis'

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#23]
UVa will be investigated by DOJ.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the person who said "No" will be facing a tax audit next year

Performed by a newly hired IRS investigator that previously was employed as a proctologist. . .
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 Virginia Tech alumnus that no longer hates UVA!
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
God I love my state!  

I'll love it too if Virginia can avoid supporting obummer in November!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Romney paid.

Obama didn't.

Link ? I have some libs to piss off on FB with that info
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

As many lawyers as we put in the federal goobermint, good luck with that.  "Mr. President, we cannot possibly complete our investigation until 2137."

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As many lawyers as we put in the federal goobermint, good luck with that.  "Mr. President, we cannot possibly complete our investigation until 2137."

Yeah, really - what are they going to do, ask the FBI to investigate? The fucking director is an alum.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, really - what are they going to do, ask the FBI to investigate? The fucking director is an alum.

He'll just get DHS to investigate . . . oh wait.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Romney paid.

Obama didn't.

Here you go.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=8755847

They said they will send the bill to collections, lol. Obama's credit score will be downgraded right alongside America's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

UVA is filthy rich billion bucks plus
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fucking go hoos!  UVA Law Class of 2003 here.  

WAHOOWA!  UVA - College of Arts & Sciences - class of '65!

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Charlottesville is hard left, im surprised they didnt wee in their pants at the thought of the Exalted one to come to town.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#35]
It will be interesting to see how Obama's doing on Intrade over the next week or two.

Right now he's still at 57%

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Charlottesville is hard left, im surprised they didnt wee in their pants at the thought of the Exalted one to come to town.

Same thoughts here. This is a good sign.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

God I love my state!  

That's all them replanted Yankees, suburban libtards, college students and faculty, illegal aliens and folks of color that live in NoVA and Richmond.  You know...Democrats:  Vote early and vote often.

Rest of the Commonwealth is as RED as a firetruck.

Link Posted: 8/25/2012 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Romney paid.

Obama didn't.

Here you go.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=8755847

They said they will send the bill to collections, lol. Obama's credit score will be downgraded right alongside America's.

WTF do they expect?  They are a bunch of brainless libs anyway.  Fools.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2012 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As unpopular as Bush was toward the end, I can't recall this kind of stuff happening to him.

Bush didn't have the sort of security circus surrouding him.  Obama shuts down entire cities.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Hell, its a major college town; of course they're lefties.  Point is, the university wasn't about to get screwed and screw the students.

Can you just imagine the reaction from the Obama camp?  

Link Posted: 8/25/2012 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Obama can ask if the Museum of the Confederacy will host him.  I think they can take about 50 people and that's more than enough.

You mean the 'Muslim confederacy'???????
I realllyy doubt my GF's kin are going to welcome him with open arms. They got a tree on the edge of the Rappahanock that still bears marks from the war of agression.

Va. is going to go Romney.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Obama was here like last year, year before, campaigning for Tom Perriello. They were downtown in an outdoor pavilion we have, a coupe miles from UVA. There is still a chance he will come if they can find a suitable spot. C'ville is FULL of artsy - fartsy libs but as soon as you get out of town, a town of only 45K without the students, the surrounding area is as red as red can be. :)
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Reasons cited:
  • The cancellation of 186 classes would occur if the site is the Amphitheater or closing of the libraries and Newcomb dining if the site is the Harrison-Small plaza. This would result in an extraordinary disruption of the second day of the new semester.
  • By University policy, we would also have to offer the same accommodations and bear the same costs for other candidates.  Both our federal and state tax-exempt status requires that we not favor any candidate.
  • The Secret Service will have final approval on the site chosen and will dictate the security requirements, but at a minimum the buildings adjacent to the event venue would need to be closed on Aug. 29.  Adjacent buildings will be searched and secured with officers posted in each starting at least 6 hours prior to the event.
God I love my state!  

LOVE IT!!

but I gotta say....

GO HOKIES
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Today We are all Hoos......awesome.  Maybe some fellow commonwealthers will quit saying VA is going Obama.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#46]

FBHO
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is a interesting museum but the last time I went, I made a wrong turn and ended up in Moseby Court.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a interesting museum but the last time I went, I made a wrong turn and ended up in Moseby Court.

It is an interesting museum. And yes, in general, any neighborhood that ends in "Court" in Richmond is not one you want to enter unless you're in an armored vehicle. Moseby Court, Creighton Court, Gilpin Court ...
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bush didn't have the sort of security circus surrouding him.  Obama shuts down entire cities.

Uhhhh ... yeah, Bush had the same sort of security. I drove in more than one of his motorcades. They were enormous and they would shut down MILES of Interstate when he was moving, just as they do for Obama.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
God I love my state!  

That's all them replanted Yankees, suburban libtards, college students and faculty, illegal aliens and folks of color that live in NoVA and Richmond.  You know...Democrats:  Vote early and vote often.

Rest of the Commonwealth is as RED as a firetruck.

I wouldn't call the whole state fire truck red.  Don't forget about southwestern Virginia.  There are a lot of old hardcore Democrats down there.  A lot of them have been voting Democrat so long that they didn't notice when the parties changed.  My grandpa, who passed away in March, was a good example.  He was a retired union coal miner.  He punched a straight Democrat ticket every election because that was what he had done for years and it was what the UMWA told them to do.  

What I could never understand it how coal miners could vote for people that openly say they want to destroy the coal industry.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top