Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2002 11:08:21 AM EDT
[url]http://www.selmatimesjournal.com/display/inn_news/news00096.txt[/url]

Neighbors near grave focus on new laws

By Sajit Abraham / Selma Times-Journal

Residents at the Lazy Acres subdivision met Tuesday night in a meeting that attendees described as not only productive but helpful to others who may be faced with the same situation.

The issue discussed at the meeting was the burial of Blake Michael Allison, 20, a victim in a car crash who was recently buried in his parents backyard.

Sandy Jones, a resident who lives nearby the house, said that when she looks out her second floor window, she is able to see the gravesite, something that she and other residents did not want or expect to see.

Jones, when interviewed by the Times-Journal about the meeting, said she did not harbor any antagonism towards the parents.

"I just want to make it clear that I really do feel for these people," said Jones, referring to parents Leonard and Marion Allison, whose property borders Lazy Acres. "It is not their fault that their son died, and I really do have sympathy for them."

Added Jones, "I really do wish there was some law in place, though, that would have directed them to do it some other way. When their son died, they weren't thinking, because there wasn't time to think. If there was some law that could do that for them, it would make it much easier on everyone."

Both Jones and Dallas County Commissioner Roy Moore, who attended the meeting, said that the meeting was not meant to remedy the present situation, but rather to make it easier for other residents who are faced with the same situation.

"Really the purpose of the meeting is to get some sort of legislation passed to let neighbors know before something like this happens," said Moore.

Moore said that such legislation should force property owners "to make a [legal] record of the burial with the tax assessor so that future property owners [who purchase the property] would know that the [gravesite]" was there.

Said Moore, "I think if people are forced to make a record of it, that would probably deter more of them from doing it."

Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Added Jones, "I really do wish there was some law in place, though, that would have directed them to do it some other way. When their son died, they weren't thinking, because there wasn't time to think. If there was some law that could do that for them, it would make it much easier on everyone."

View Quote

Exactly the mindset of most liberals.  Let the "LAW" do the thinking.  Sheep.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If people want to bury at home they should be able to do so. Why all this cost to bury somewhere else. In this state you do not have to be embalmed and you can be buried at home.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I still haven't decided what I want to happen to me when I go--if I choose not to be creamated, I will want to be buried on our four acres.

I've only been here four years, but nowhere else has ever felt so much like home.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I still haven't decided what I want to happen to me when I go--if I choose not to be creamated, I will want to be buried on our four acres.

I've only been here four years, but nowhere else has ever felt so much like home.
View Quote

Know how you feel. We've (wife and I) have been here 25 years and raised our kids here. It is in the mountains and we are both getting planted right here.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmm.
Have you filed an evironmental report with the local Army Corps of Engineers, had your area rezoned for a home use burial, gotten your home burial permits and plot inspections, filed your letter of intent with your local city and or county reps...
Just trying to keep you out of trouble.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell thats what they did with Elvis, and they charge admission if you want to look at it ! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hmmmm.
Have you filed an evironmental report with the local Army Corps of Engineers, had your area rezoned for a home use burial, gotten your home burial permits and plot inspections, filed your letter of intent with your local city and or county reps...
Just trying to keep you out of trouble.
View Quote

Here you only ask the local selectbord, and they (elected by us) give the ok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top