Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2012 11:32:25 AM EDT
Wife and I sold a bike to a lady on April 12th.  Yesterday I got a registration renewal notice from the state, so obviously she never got it registered.  Today I take a look at the property records online (public info) and it shows she registered it on Aug 14th and put a date of purchase of Aug 14th.

Am I liable for additional property taxes because of this?  As far as the state knows, I owned the bike 4 months longer than I really did.  I'm not sure how that works.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#1]
And yes, I have a signed Bill of Sale and used the form that Arkansas gives out on the DMV website.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I've always gotten renewal cards for vehicles I've sold. I just ignore them and that's always the last I hear of it.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Individuals have to pay personal property taxes in AR? What's the tax on say a $10k motorcycle?  Sorry I'm not helpful, just curious.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#4]
If you didn't take your old plate and registration to the DMV to have it cancelled, it's probably still registered and that's why you got the bill.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#5]
That's normal.

They want to register your plate and VIN together.  If they no longer go together (because you sold it and took the plate) then no big deal.

You can check the boxes on back and say "it's not on the road anymore".

It's just a card a computer spits out.  Nothing else happens until some cop sees a plate without a sticker.  The ones they don't see, they don't do anything about.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Not from AZ, and it sounds like your state does weird things.  Here, I'd toss teh notice.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Individuals have to pay personal property taxes in AR? What's the tax on say a $10k motorcycle?  Sorry I'm not helpful, just curious.

Around $54 according to this website:

http://tax.fizber.com/
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#9]
But what about property taxes?  Do you just get charged for an entire year or is there a deadline where you don't owe anything if you only owned it for so many months?

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I n TX there is a form for the seller to fill out and turn in to the State.

It basically says "I sold this vehicle, VIN such and such, on this date."

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That would make sense.  It's gotta beat relying on the seller to do it.

In high school my parents sold my bike to a friend of theirs.  They didn't register it for 2 years.  In fact, they never registered it.  The guy who bought it did.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This, in Oregon you have to report the sale of a vehicle to the DMV within I think 5 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top