Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2012 6:49:30 AM EDT
I always enjoy a good lie from behind the gun counter or random Joe at the range. I like reading about others too.
My first experience:

Me: Hey, I want to order an AR-15 (my first). I found the one I want and wanted to see if yall could order it.
72 year old man: An AR-15 aint a real rifle, its plastic junk. If you want an assault rifle the only think worth a damn is an AK.
Me: Oooook. I still want an AR-15. Can you order this Stag?
72 year old: Well, I have never heard of Stag so I know they aint any good. I can get you an Olympic though, they are the best, they make their owwn parts and barrels.
Me: Well, can you check on the Stag? I still would prefer it.
72 year old: Just give me your number, ill call you if we can find it. I know we wont though, I have never heard of them.

Drove down the road and bought an AR from another shop.

From the range:

Guy asked about my F-Class .260 Remington I was shooting. Said his Century Arms CETME would shoot under MOA all day long with surplus ball ammo. His "spotter" equipped with a Savage .22lr and BSA scope vouched for him.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I was at Gander Mountain earlier in the week and heard one of the countermen bragging to another about his rifle with which he routinely shoots 6" groups at 1000 yards.

The rifle?

A Garand.

The other gun counter guy was eating that bullshit up.

I know it sounds impossible to believe but it is 100% true.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Got yelled at by an old guy that Russia never made Mauser rifles, and even if they did,
he'd never seen/heard of one and didn't wanna bother ordering one.

We were trying to order a friends first Nagant
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
"Im about to order a 22-250 from LaRue"

"that fake Aimpoint you gave me turned out to actually be real, the SN# was on the bottom under the mount, they do it that way when you special order them with the red and green dots. They fixed the switch for me for free"
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't tell you the last time I was in a gunshop.......

God Bless the internet & individuals with FFL's that just do transfers.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Imagine if we could just direct mail order guns to our doorstep like 99.9 or other items for sale for the general public. The only gun stores still open would have to be of quality.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was at Gander Mountain earlier in the week and heard one of the countermen bragging to another about his rifle with which he routinely shoots 6" groups at 1000 yards.

The rifle?

A Garand.

NRA metallic sight 1000 yards. 20 shots prone the record is 17 rounds in the 10 ring isnt it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I was at Gander Mountain looking at the pistols, the topic with the counter guy turned into a 1911's discussion. He grabbed a Kimber and laid it down on the counter and said "Kimber's are the Cadillac of 1911's" I turned around and left I dont have time for bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The rifle?

A Garand.

Very possible with those fucktards off Northlake.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Back in the Fall of '08 after the mocha jesus beat John McShitstain, was visiting a buddy at a local store, customer was at the counter, apparently purchased an RRA 9mm and used this store as FFL for transfer. Salesperson brings out case, opens it at counter, proceeds to pull it out, inspect it, clearing breech making sure no rounds present, hands it to customer, who then asks "How do I cock this?"  myself, half the store employees within range and customers around the counter all are . Salesperson takes the rifle back shows him how to go about charging it, hands it back to customer, who then proceeds to sweep everyone behind the counter, and is answered with the rifle being snatched from his hands and the "lecture" about how to handle a rifle begins. Turns out this turd never owned a gun and thought an AR would make a nice first experience, since he thought he may not have the right after Obama takes office.

Apparently this played out time after time at this store, and I can imagine how many thousands of times across the country!

Range story:
Nothing spectacular, pretty much everyone has encountered being swept by someone in the next lane, Range safety officer drilling you because you're not supposed to use a Mk19 on the pistol range, blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#10]
A local hardware store sells rifles and handguns. The guy was trying to sell a noob (based on the 2-way dialog) a handgun and told him it was accurate to 300 meters. I did not look to see what he was trying to sell, the place was crowded and I just left.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Range story:
Nothing spectacular, pretty much everyone has encountered being swept by someone in the next lane, Range safety officer drilling you because you're not supposed to use a Mk19 on the pistol range, blah blah blah.

Well shit, I wouldn't want someone dumping a belt of HE-DP on a pistol range either.  That could get awkward!

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a sales guy tell me the sound of racking a shotgun is a universal language in scaring off intruders.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Yesterday me and my cousin were at the local academy (cousin decided he wanted to buy a 10/22)

I'm waiting beside my cousin for the paperwork to go through and I notice some juice head (maybe 22 and looked like he never handled a rifle) with his pregnant wife beside him fondling an AR (couldn't tell what kind) and I hear the counter guy (probably like 19) telling him how that brand is one of the best around and I assume it's a Colt.

I walk over to get a closer look and see that it's a fuckin red jacket firearms.

He asks the price on it and the counter guy says "only 1200" out of shock (at this point I'm standing 10 feet away from them) I say ou loud "HOLY SHIT!!!" laugh and walk off.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a sales guy tell me the sound of racking a shotgun is a universal language in scaring off intruders.

That's said in most gun shops every day.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Had a gun shop employee tell me that his Colt AR with a 1/7 twist would be able to shoot M855 62 grain and that Bushmaster next to it was a piece of crap since it had a 1/9 twist barrel. It could not handle the 62 grain bullets and it was only useful for shooting squirrel and rabbit. I gave him the deer in headlights look, thanked him for his time and walked out! Oh his Colt was $1400 and the Bushmaster was $850. This was back in 2009.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Back in the Fall of '08 after the mocha jesus beat John McShitstain, was visiting a buddy at a local store, customer was at the counter, apparently purchased an RRA 9mm and used this store as FFL for transfer. Salesperson brings out case, opens it at counter, proceeds to pull it out, inspect it, clearing breech making sure no rounds present, hands it to customer, who then asks "How do I cock this?"  myself, half the store employees within range and customers around the counter all are . Salesperson takes the rifle back shows him how to go about charging it, hands it back to customer, who then proceeds to sweep everyone behind the counter, and is answered with the rifle being snatched from his hands and the "lecture" about how to handle a rifle begins. Turns out this turd never owned a gun and thought an AR would make a nice first experience, since he thought he may not have the right after Obama takes office.

Everyone starts somewhere. While the muzzle sweep was understandably handled quickly, berating the guy for not knowing how to work an AR is counterproductive. We WANT people buying AR's.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone starts somewhere. While the muzzle sweep was understandably handled quickly, berating the guy for not knowing how to work an AR is counterproductive. We WANT people buying AR's.

The moral of the story wasn't that people shouldn't own AR's, however, before jumping into any firearm, much less this particular platform, a person should be reasonably educated before doing so, as we don't need these types of guns, or any gun for that matter, in the hands of persons not comfortable with them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#19]
A new gun shop just opened up here and the owner is a knowledgeable reloader, shooter, and CAS competitor. I was very pleased to see that and enjoyed being there. The other 3 gun shops in the county are solid too, and one is pursuing becoming a class 3 dealer. The one shop that went out of business recently (Neal's) had prices higher than most satellites.

If you're around Eden NC, check out Old Leaksville Gun. Small new store but I found the atmosphere and owner very helpful, and we talked reloading and shooting near on 30 minutes.

Makes me glad to see new stores, and he had solid prices... sleeves of primers for 3$ per, and I got an older 1000 case of them for 22$!
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A new gun shop just opened up here and the owner is a knowledgeable reloader, shooter, and CAS competitor. I was very pleased to see that and enjoyed being there. The other 3 gun shops in the county are solid too, and one is pursuing becoming a class 3 dealer. The one shop that went out of business recently (Neal's) had prices higher than most satellites.

If you're around Eden NC, check out Old Leaksville Gun. Small new store but I found the atmosphere and owner very helpful, and we talked reloading and shooting near on 30 minutes.

Makes me glad to see new stores, and he had solid prices... sleeves of primers for 3$ per, and I got an older 1000 case of them for 22$!

Where's the tall tale here?
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I was in a local shop with a modest reloading section about a week ago and a guy next to me asked if I knew anything about primers, so we struck up a conversation... Turns out he was reloading for .300BLK.

He tells me about this great idea he has about necking down a .300BLK case to .223.  "Man, you'd probably be able to get some great velocity out of that, you know?"

I said, "Yeah... in the neighborhood of 3,000 fps.  Unfortunately, it's been done before. "
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's the tall tale here?

The opposite. The only tall tale vendor closed up shop.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Customer walked in said he just got out of the Marines, had to show me his new reserve ID card to prove it for some reason (I didn't ask to see it and I didn't care one way or the other). Pretty snobby attitude, which got even worse when I mentioned I had been in the Army. He wanted to buy a Remington 710, asked if I had any in stock. I said no, but there were plenty of other hunting rifles for him to look at. He said only a Rem 710 would do, and he proceeded to explain that was because it's the rifle the Marine snipers have been using for 30 years. I asked him if he wasn't confusing the 710 with the 700. He said I was wrong and insisted he knew better because he was an armorer and he worked on their weapons. He finally decided I was wasting his time and he left.

Another guy said he was a hunter from Alaska, in Oregon for vacation or to visit somebody, he was honoring me with tales of his skills. The best one was that he could hit an 8" gong at 2,000 (yes, two thousand) yards with his open-sighted .375 "all day long."

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I swear, just heard this one yesterday at a flea market.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
...we don't need these types of guns, or any gun for that matter, in the hands of persons not comfortable with them.

You're right. And the best way to deal with that is to make a "turd who's never owned a gun" as uncomfortable as you possibly can.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My 30 seconds..... You stole it!
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I was in a local shop with a modest reloading section about a week ago and a guy next to me asked if I knew anything about primers, so we struck up a conversation... Turns out he was reloading for .300BLK.

He tells me about this great idea he has about necking down a .300BLK case to .223.  "Man, you'd probably be able to get some great velocity out of that, you know?"

I said, "Yeah... in the neighborhood of 3,000 fps.  Unfortunately, it's been done before. "

OMG dude, I'm in tears here from laughing so hard!

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Customer walked in said he just got out of the Marines, had to show me his new reserve ID card to prove it for some reason (I didn't ask to see it and I didn't care one way or the other). Pretty snobby attitude, which got even worse when I mentioned I had been in the Army. He wanted to buy a Remington 710, asked if I had any in stock. I said no, but there were plenty of other hunting rifles for him to look at. He said only a Rem 710 would do, and he proceeded to explain that was because it's the rifle the Marine snipers have been using for 30 years. I asked him if he wasn't confusing the 710 with the 700. He said I was wrong and insisted he knew better because he was an armorer and he worked on their weapons. He finally decided I was wasting his time and he left.

Another guy said he was a hunter from Alaska, in Oregon for vacation or to visit somebody, he was honoring me with tales of his skills. The best one was that he could hit an 8" gong at 2,000 (yes, two thousand) yards with his open-sighted .375 "all day long."

I hate guys like that first one.  Some Billy Badass reservist disparaging of others' service and knows it all about guns just because he earned an EGA is fucked up, and I've seen it before, too.  It gets really rich when it turns out he was some REMF in a cushy mos, or worse, a fraud right out.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Customer came in with his wife, they were looking for a concealed carry pistol for her. Guy was a real jerk, told me women, all women not just his wife, could not handle anything bigger than a .38. Oooookay. He then told me that women weren't capable of handling a semi-auto, it is to complicated for them. (At this point I am thinking who let Archie Bunker outta the house).

He then tells me what she really needs is a .22 derringer. Two shots are all you will ever need. Now I decide it is time to mess with this assjack, so I ask him what if you are attacked by more than two people? Well, yeah, that could happen, but two shots is all you need..... (WTF? Archie doesn't understand math or logic, or most likely both).

He then asks about any local CCL classes for his wife. A good class where the instructor will scare his wife and put fear into her. That is the only way she will be prepared to CCL.... Yes I am sure the instructor wants a scared, nervous woman on the range trying to qualify with a .22 derringer. Dumbass

He and his wife left, she never said a word the entire time. They never came back, and I felt kind of sorry for the wife. If I was the wife married to that bastard, I would have caved his skull in with a frying pan lonng long time ago.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Heard a guy at the flea market ask a guy behind a table of guns if he could get one of them bushmasters, guy behind the table says they don't make them any more. I asked him where he heard that, he said a couple of gun dealers told him. I just said you could still get them....

Had another guy tell me he could get a pre ban full auto AR for 3K!
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I heard a new (to me) variation of "rack the slide" - a cop was telling the counter guy that he was manning some kind of highway checkpoint.  Some guy was going to blow past the checkpoint, but changed his mind when the cop racked his 870.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I swear, just heard this one yesterday at a flea market.
This is true

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a guy at the barber shop tell me a felon could by a shotgun because no background check is required on them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's said in most gun shops every day.

heck that was our test. an honest man in a gunstore wouldn't even look at the sound, a dirtbag that deserved to be followed around the store always snapped their neck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn. These are funny. Guess I need to go hang out at gunshops more. I don't hear enough bullshit in my day to day life.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I was in a Gander yesterday and they were crowded so they had some wimmens working the gun section and I asked one to see a Colt 6920 just because of the sticker shock of $1500.00.So she takes the rifle out of the shelf and goes to check the weapon but doesn't know how and must have been told to make sure all weapons handed over the counter must be checked.As she struggles I tell her to come closer and I will show her how to clear it ,shes grabbing the rear sight the ejection port everything but the charging handle.

So I'm telling her back ,to the left the little lever now pull ,I was almost in tears and she was bright red ,how can they put someone behind the counter that should be selling dresses not guns.And to add I was not being an ass just trying to show her the right way.

Some dude next to us was looking at some zombie gun and she says to me I have an AR for zombies if you want to see it,then tells me that's why she has a bow and arrows just in case of zombies.

Edit - Just remembered from a gun show last weekend.I walk up to a table with my buddy and hear two guys talking about a pistol they were holding "Wow this is nice, well made got some real good heft to it","really nice for sure" the other guy says to his buddy,they turn and I see a HI POINT 45.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm generally leery of these story threads as every single story seems to touch on every single hot button topic/opinion/debate available to the gun community.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Guy in a US navy hat walks up to counter.

Gun store commando: Were you in the navy?

Navy guy: Yeah.

GSC: you a SEAL!?

NG: No.

GSC: Me neither! I was a green beret! But I knew a bunch of SEALs. They called me green bean!

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was at Gander Mountain looking at the pistols, the topic with the counter guy turned into a 1911's discussion. He grabbed a Kimber and laid it down on the counter and said "Kimber's are the Cadillac of 1911's" I turned around and left I dont have time for bullshit.

My GM said the same thing sorta, laid a TLE/RL II in SS on the counter and said this is the finest 1911 avail outside full $5K customs..  the idiot I was with took it hook line and sinker, deaf to my protest and bought it. Oh yeah the idiot was my wife  that was a fun ride home w/me telling her she is a dumb ass.

This was the store in Palm Beach Gardens btw...it is a sweet looking pistol though..
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Academy is the only "gun store" I frequent mainly for a quick ammo purchase... The herp derp is always there on some level... The advice there is usually good, but the questions are crazy!

The counter guys at the store I go to will tell someone, "Well, I don't really know about that." or "Cool, (CSB) but we don't offer that here." INstead of feeding the customer with BS...

These are my limited interactions...
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#41]
My wife and I stopped by a Sports Authority last night (mistake 1).

They had one of the .22 MP5 replicas with a fake can on it.  I took a minute to look at it and mentioned it'd be a fun rifle to put a suppressor on (mistake 2).

Old rickety Fudd behind the counter grumbles something about how it's too expensive and, I fucking quote, "only the bad guys need those".

I explained to him in no uncertain terms that what is left of my hearing and its desperate desire to continue existing would really appreciate not being regarded as a criminal.

I don't think he understood or cared.  Dumbfuck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

i heard a comedian named bill burr make fun of this on the opie and anthony show one day

he said some asshole had told him this sound thing and that his reply was "ok so what if i heard the sound of two racking shotguns on the other side of the door in an answer back?!?"

apparently he has gotten some good material from this experience.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I was in a gunshop in anchorage recently and a guy was looking for a ccw.  The clerk explained to him that you should never buy an expensive gun for a ccw because if you ever use it the police keeps it for at least 20 years post crime.  The guy was looking at a nice sig and i think the gunshop moron had him down to a rossi revolver or kahr pistol before i walked away.  

Sadly the guy buying the gun agreed with all of this and felt its best when your life is on the line to buy the cheapest gun possible.  For me, my life is worth more then any gun is worth, therefore i buy quality no matter.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#44]
I went to Target World (Cincinnati area) in 2005 with a buddy (we were both in the Guard at the time) so he could look at AR 15s.

Counter guy tells us he carries an SVD (while he's holding one or a clone of one) in his trunk with 10,000 rounds at all times, "just in case". Riiiight, hero.
This is after asking about AR 15s.
Neckbearded basement dweller guy then proceeds to whip out a semi AK and demonstrate his amazing field stripping capabilities, as if we cared, or had never seen an AK before.

I asked to look at an XD 45 and got a sermon on why the PX4 is a piece of shit. I'm surprised he didn't try to sell me a Glock, honestly.

They are a big shop with so-so customer service. They just have had some real gomers and outright assholes working there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My wife and I stopped by a Sports Authority last night (mistake 1).

They had one of the .22 MP5 replicas with a fake can on it.  I took a minute to look at it and mentioned it'd be a fun rifle to put a suppressor on (mistake 2).

Old rickety Fudd behind the counter grumbles something about how it's too expensive and, I fucking quote, "only the bad guys need those".

I explained to him in no uncertain terms that what is left of my hearing and its desperate desire to continue existing would really appreciate not being regarded as a criminal.

I don't think he understood or cared.  Dumbfuck.

I can only imagine going to a gun shop around here and asking about NFA stuff
The stupid would burn.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hahaha this is a great one
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I couldn't tell you the last time I was in a gunshop.......
God Bless the internet & individuals with FFL's that just do transfers.....

Same here I am lucky enough to have a father with a FFL and private range to use.  No hearing fudd stories for me.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The moral of the story wasn't that people shouldn't own AR's, however, before jumping into any firearm, much less this particular platform, a person should be reasonably educated before doing so, as we don't need these types of guns, or any gun for that matter, in the hands of persons not comfortable with them.

That's what the gun store employees job is. To explain the function of a weapon that was just purchased. It would have been a bigger problem had the customer not asked the question.

I'm sure you know how to drive a car but I bet if you are checking out a model you are not familiar with you also ask questions.

Roy

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Wait... Necking down a .300 blk....

ok that one is actually funny. You should take him a .223 round and tell him you did what he thought of and brag it up
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha this is a great one

Yep.... 45 seventy  you win this thread for the biggest what the fuck of all time....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top