Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2002 7:06:16 PM EDT
NY Man Sues, Claiming Fast Food Ruined His Health
Fri Jul 26, 5:43 PM ET
By Gunna Dickson

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A 5-foot-10-inch, 272-pound man has sued four major fast food chains, claiming their fare contributed to his obesity, heart disease and diabetes, his attorney said on Friday.

The class-action lawsuit, filed in the Bronx Supreme Court on July 24, is seeking undetermined compensatory damages against McDonald's, Wendy's, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Burger King on behalf of 56-year-old maintenance worker Caesar Barber and others.

The lawsuit, which estimates that millions of Americans could be included in the claim, also seeks to have the companies label individual products with fat, salt, cholesterol and other dietary content as well as to warn users of the health effects.

New York attorney Samuel Hirsch, who is representing Barber, said consumers are not getting adequate warning about foods that could cause obesity, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol levels.

"Fast food chains failed to disclose the contents in terms of calories, fat grams and sodium. Even when posted, the information is not easily understandable to the public," said Hirsch.

A National Restaurant Association executive said the lawsuit "gives frivolous a bad name."

"This lawsuit, which solely makes restaurants responsible for obesity in America, swallows a simplistic notion," said Steven Anderson, president and CEO of the Washington-based association. "It is a blatant attempt to capitalize on the recent news stories on the growing rates of obesity."

LABELS FOR ROCKET SCIENTISTS?

Barber told MSNBC he didn't realize fried food was bad for him until three years ago, and that he had been eating fast food for decades because it was convenient.

"I didn't find out how bad it was until 1999," he said. "I ate a lot because I was by myself."

Hirsch, who accompanied his client on the MSNBC show, said they particularly wanted better labeling for the "real offenders--the Big Macs and Big Whoppers." Now, he said "you have to be a rocket scientist" to be able to read labels that he said were deliberately designed to be confusing.

McDonald's spokesman Walt Riker called the claims "ridiculous," saying: "Our menu features choice and variety with lots of options for consumers."

In Miami, a spokesman for Burger King, which was bought by Texas Pacific group on Thursday, declined to comment as the matter is under litigation, but referred calls to the National Restaurant Association.

"There are 858,000 restaurants and food service outlets in the country serving a variety of food that will meet anyone's specific dietary needs," said the association's Anderson. "The nutritional information usually appears on a chart at the right of the counter and is as easily understood as any nutrition label you would see at the retail store."

"The important thing to remember is that there is a certain amount of personal responsibility we all have... the issues of obesity and nutrition are much more complicated than this and involves factors such as genetics, medical conditions and the level of physical activity," Anderson added.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope he and others like him get billions.  Rape em.  

Maybe after that people will finally wake up to this NIGHTMARE.

Doubtful...
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Doubtful...
View Quote
You're right 7, it's the fast food joints fault. And the tobacco companies fault. And the liquor companies fault. And the gun companies fault. No one is to blame for their own actions or mistakes, it's always the fault of big business, and the poor victim should get a butt load of cash. [:x*]
So tell me, who'd your Mom blame for you?

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw the plaintiff and the blood sucking lawyer on CNN this morning.  Sick.

There should be a nutritional chart available at all the FF joints if I'm not mistaken.  McD's even has it posted in plain sight.  

Can the dude read or what?

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
[b]Barber told MSNBC he didn't realize fried food was bad for him until three years ago, and that he had been eating fast food for decades because it was convenient[/b]

[b]"I didn't find out how bad it was until 1999," he said. "I ate a lot because I was by myself." [/b]

Lets see.... eating fast food for decades and eating a lot.  Yet he didn't make the connection between eating lots of fast food for decades and his ENORMOUS FAT OBESE FUCKING ASS.

Hope he and his lawyer choke on the same weenie.

I thought this article was a joke - damned.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you say fat tax
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thought I might share an E-mail I got:

Obituary

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, by the name of Common Sense. Common Sense lived a long life but died in the United States from heart failure on the brink of the new millennium.  No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes,
factories helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For  decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense.   He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second.  A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution. Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, whole language, and "new math."  But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus.

In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well intentioned but overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers.   His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition. It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not  inform the parent when a
female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten  Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received  better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports.  Finally, when a woman, too stupid to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, was awarded a huge settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth andTrust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

--Obituary author unknown.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Doubtful...
View Quote

Yeah, have the companies shell out millions for the fat slobs who stuff their faces daily with burgers and fries and the only people who are gonna wake up are the [i]other  [/i]fat slobs who haven't sued yet.

I hope the courts send this bag of shit back to the last dumpster he was feeding from. He deserves money as much as that super-tard who threw coffee all over herself and became a Mc Millionaire as a result. Since when should poor judgement on your part become a basis for others to compensate you?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Prefabricated lawsuit - just add victims.

I saw the sluggard that was suckered into this give his well-scripted sob story on TV.
He looks like Grimace.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know guys. I found some strong evidence against Micky D's.

Exhibit "A" - Buy six Big Macs and get a free food claw that feeds you while you drive.
[img]http://www.wehateyou.com/images/jb/fati-claw.jpg[/img]

Exhibit "B" Your future.
[img]http://www.kelleys.org/fatass/bike.jpg[/img]

Ronald MacDonald...pay up clown!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
another wonderful day in amerika.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Haha!  This sounds like something McUzi would post:
Will supermarkets stop selling food in case someone chokes on their dinner? Will seaside resorts close in case someone drowns? Take responsibility for your own actions and stop pushing the blame onto others. Personally, I think McDonalds shouldn't serve fat people in the same way that publicans won't serve drunks.
Rocket Scientist, UK
View Quote
View Quote

I dunno...
McUzi blamed his computer LOL!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#14]
jesus christ!!! god forbid we be held accountible for our own actions, fast food is not supposed to be healthy! It will make you fat, if you eat it and dont excercize and get fat it is your fault! Not the restaraunt that sold the food, I expect this will get thrown out! Although I expected the same thing with the tobacco, stuff and the lady who spilled the coffee on herself. I swear liberalism is killing America.

What ever happened to the guy that was sueing Bush for like a billion $?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate lawyers!  And I am one!

Seriously, this sh!t has got to stop.  

The shi!thead lawyer was crying that McD's and the like don't label their food like other products are labeled.  

What's next, regular restaurants will have to put ingredient labels on the menus; with nutritional information as well?

Something like that just may put some marginal restaurants out of business.  

Why won't these fat bastards take the responsibility to stop shoving the damn food in their cakeholes!  

If I have to hear one more Ricky Lake/Oprah/Carny Wilson retard tell me she can't control herself or had to get an OPERATION to reduce the size of her stomach, I just may kill myself.

STOP F@CKING EATING YOU FAT PIECE OF SH!T  

It is NOT my fault you are weak.  It is not McDonald's fault.  It is you own lack of self-control and nothing more.  You don't have a hormone problem.  It's not your genes.  

YOU ARE LAZY!  I guarantee you if I put your lard ass in 1860 where you had to cultivate your own damn food and couldn't make the easy trip to the grocery store for the sugar-laced ho-ho's you'd be svelte as Twiggy!

Here's the solution:  move to Fairbanks, Alaska and buy a house with only a fireplace for heat.  You'll lose all that blubber chopping enough damn firewood to survive the sub zero winters! You'll live longer and do society a favor as well.    
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]
When I heard about this, I nearly flipped. Ever heard of responsibility. I hope this guy gets laughed out of court, but I won't hold my breath.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:47:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I heard about this, I nearly flipped. Ever heard of responsibility. I hope this guy gets laughed out of court, but I won't hold my breath.
View Quote
If public response is any indicator, it will never get to court.
View Quote

I say, 50/50.  People are stupid.

Might be possible to get a bunch of fat mama's in the jury box.  Taken directly from the Ricky Lake, Oprah, or Rosie Donut audience.

Even with the warnings people are still [strike]extorting[/strike] reaping millions from big bad tobacco.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:35:33 AM EDT
[#20]
OK, let the big four stop serving Fat people, and see how fast they get taken to court for discrimination!  WTF????
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:02:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OK, let the big four stop serving Fat people, and see how fast they get taken to court for discrimination!  WTF????
View Quote

If I was corporate legal eagle for any of these companies, I would do just that.  Then sit back and ROFLMAO at the chaos it would cause.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If I was corporate legal eagle for any of these companies, I would do just that.  Then sit back and ROFLMAO at the chaos it would cause.
View Quote

By doing so would cause the downfall of the FF industry as we know it.  They can't survive without the fa[size=1]t[/size=1]st food addicts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes the GOVERNMENT must control all of this, I recommend BIG BROTHER issue all its subjects fat control cards. These would be like a common access card, except the card would keep track of your diet. You must present your CAC at McDs to get your food.

Then you see an entire new cottage industry would spring up, small roadside stand illegally serving Big Macs.

Then we could call in JANET RENO to clean up the mess using some of her sharpshooters

[whacko][whacko][whacko]
[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top