Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2002 6:40:56 PM EDT
Opening Day of Texas' Dove Season is five weeks from Sunday.  And Labor Day is the next day.  So we got two days of a three day weekend to hunt.

Tactical Doves anyone?

I can already taste a pan-full of doves for breakfast.

Anybody wanna see about getting together for an opening day/weekend hunt in a hot spot?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Oohhhh those doves are fun to hunt.LOTS of blasting,20 gauge auto loader preferable.[D:]

And delicious little morsles.My mom marinates them in a cranberry sauce then wraps them in bacon and throws em on the grill.Bull yeah!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a plan.  Just got sent to Ft Hood from Ft Knox - but got bit by the dove hunting bug about a year ago at Ft Stewart, GA.  As long as you don't mind hunting with a newbie who might need a little instruction, I'd love to.  I'm at [email protected], shoot me an email and let me know where you are.

Load Sabot (or, cannister for doves...)

Tanker
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The flyway is west of Dallas/Fort Worth.  Anywhere in the Brownwood, Coleman, Brady, Lampasas area is usually good on Opening Day.

Living on the border of the North and Central Zones I'm ready to hunt September First.

Day leases are the way to go for Opening Day.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Arock, I'm very lousy with shotgun.  Can I use my FAL? [:D]

I think I'm game.
View Quote

You hit a dove with that FAL and you're gonna have to apologize to God for the mess.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I may be game, gives me a reason to buy a shotgun!!!

What gauge and where do we go hunt, is it private property, or pay as you go for lease.

Thx.

TXLEWIS

Would a 12 with bird shot be to much?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I may be game, gives me a reason to buy a shotgun!!!

What gauge and where do we go hunt, is it private property, or pay as you go for lease.

Thx.

TXLEWIS

Would a 12 with bird shot be to much?
View Quote

D.) All of the above.

We'll need to start looking for a place.  Sunday's paper should have listings for dove leases.  Getting a good lease by early August is the name of the game.

All my land has been annexed by towns and cities and with encroaching development I'm looking for a place to hunt too.

A 12 gauge with #7 1/2 or #8 shot is the Texas Standard Bird Gun.  2 3/4" shells with game loads, say 3 dram equivalent or more and 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz. of shot.  3" shells if you want but 2 3/4" are just fine and your shoulder will feel better next morning.

A 20 gauge is lighter and more fun for lots of hunters.  I shoot 12's and envy 20's at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I love Dove hunting more than anything else, except eating them.[:D] I'm in.[:D] Me and my trusty 20ga. will be there[:D]....fullclip
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends on how much the cost is spread... but I'd be interested!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Let's check Sunday's classifieds and see what's available.  We can ask around.

Gun shops are good places to ask too.  Land owners often post notices or tell the guys at the shop about their leases.

Let's keep the cost reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I forgot still have about 20 in the freezer from last year.thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Military and retired military members in the San Antonio area can hunt at the Camp Bullis Army training area. I bought a permit there a couple of years ago and it cost $90 for an entire year. Once you pay, you can hunt whatever is in season. Hunting areas were mapped out well and easy to get to although the speed limits on the post are slow and it's kind of spread out.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Arock, keep us posted, I'm in.  I look also on Sunday classifieds.

12 Ga. it is, (if it gets to be a problem, I'll switch to ar10 [:D].

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I love dove hunting, despite the fact that I can't hit the damn things.  Have fun guys!
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Never dove hunted before. But depending on the cost I might be in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Looking at todays paper, 1 days were from 50 to 150 a day.  I'm in if you are Arock.

Let me know, if you want to reserve I'll meet you somewhere in D or mail you a check.  Let me know what's what.  We might see if legs, frisco, or any other yokels are in.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey!  Just returned from a TPWD seminar.  Now a certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor.  Whoopee-doo??...

Anyway let me get my act back together, a few messages answered and the Sunday paper read.

Opening Day is five weeks from today.

They want me to attend a dove management seminar at TAMU on August tenth.  That's a conflict with the Central Texas Summer Shoot on the same day.  D@MN!
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]
More info.  Academy will have the standard 2 3/4" shells on sale in the next cpl weeks at $1.99 a box, limit 2 cases, so check the fliers.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Believe it or not, Sept 1st is actually a day that I'm off. If yall aren't going to far, I'm in to blast some doves.

Keep this thread going or somebody IM me when yall get something figured out place/price wise.

September 1st is my favorite day of the year. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top