Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2012 11:49:39 AM EDT
I've got a 1993 Toyota Camry LE that I was driving for a long time until it finally gave up the ghost a second time recently and I got a 2003 F-150. The Camry still has about 12 gallons of gas in it but when I tried to stick a hose in to siphon the gas out, I couldn't even reach liquid with the hose. I got it about 2 1/2 to 3 feet inside the neck before it would not allow me to push the hose any farther. I'm assuming there is some kind of screen or device in place to keep it from allowing one to siphon gas from it. Is there any way to defeat or get around it? Obviously I'm not going to drill a hole in the gas tank, but I'd like to get the gas out if I could considering that would fill my truck a little over halfway.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Disconnect fuel line under the car, turn power on and let the car pump it out for you.

Or knock a hole in the tank
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Disconnect fuel line under the car, turn power on and let the car pump it out for you.

And it gets filtered this way...

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#3]

You can even do it under the hood.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Or knock a hole in the tank

Or connect to the fuel valve (looks like a gigantic tire valve) under the hood where you would normally connect a pressure gauge. No need to climb under the car.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
or just drill a hole in the tank
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
What you are running into is the anti rollover valve that prevents the gas from draining out if the vehicle rolls over.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Screwdriver to the tank. I saw it in a movie
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Pull out the rear seat cushion.  The access cover to the gas tank (for replacing the fuel pump) is on the driver's side.  

What died on the car?  They're usually pretty cheap and easy to fix.   Even if the ECU died,  good working spares are

usually about 50 bucks these days.  They mount behind the glove box.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A torch works faster.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I've done it with an air compressor before.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd like to do it without taking extra chance of blowing myself up. No insurance and spending time in a burn unit = FML

And yes, I am a paranoid weenie when it comes to fuels and flame.

Quoted:
What you are running into is the anti rollover valve that prevents the gas from draining out if the vehicle rolls over.

I see.

Quoted:
Pull out the rear seat cushion.  The access cover to the gas tank (for replacing the fuel pump) is on the driver's side.  

What died on the car?  They're usually pretty cheap and easy to fix.   Even if the ECU died,  good working spares are

CJ

Well, I kinda crashed it last November and had been planning on driving it around with a caved in front until I finished the academy and got a job... but it didn't last that long.

Pretty sure the engine seized up, I never had anybody look at it because it wasn't worth the cost to fix to me to continue driving a 19 year old piece of shit around. I was down to one door handle and no hubcabs (off road adventures when I was younger... lol), and then I rear ended a guy with a Reese hitch on his Ram crew cab. It started making a clanking noise and I HAD to drive it to work one day (had no other option) so I said fuck it and took the risk, and it blew on the way home. Won't even atttempt to crank, it just clicks once. Battery works fine and is about a year old. We checked that first but the car was just a wretched clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I tried what cmjohnson said and I got access to the tank but siphoning this stuff out is a BITCH! The little hand pump/siphon hose I bought sucks ass, as expected.

I'm going to try a bigger piece of clear hose so I know when to stop sucking the gas out of the tank and thus don't inadvertently drink it, unless there is a better option.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#13]
A little gas won't kill ya
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a hand pump siphon at Home Depot. Comes in handy when I have to replace fuel pumps.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Screwdriver to the tank. I saw it in a movie

I saw that too. His actions to prevent him from getting run over caused some added stress to his situation which involved trying saving hostages on a bus. I think it was a documentary.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, I tried what cmjohnson said and I got access to the tank but siphoning this stuff out is a BITCH! The little hand pump/siphon hose I bought sucks ass, as expected.

I'm going to try a bigger piece of clear hose so I know when to stop sucking the gas out of the tank and thus don't inadvertently drink it, unless there is a better option.

Do you have an air compressor?
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to do it without taking extra chance of blowing myself up. No insurance and spending time in a burn unit = FML

Quoted:

I see.

Quoted:

CJ
Well, I kinda crashed it last November  

Is that like kinda pregnant?

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see.

Quoted:

CJ
Well, I kinda crashed it last November  

Is that like kinda pregnant?

Kinda.

I don't have an air compressor, unfotunately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top