Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2002 3:52:30 PM EDT
I have purchased 9000 shares of Worldcom (WCOEQ). I've been watching thier MCI division(MCWEQ) today. I could have made some good money on it today day trading. Opinions?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Capitalist,

Well, I am no expert, but I did do an in-depth research project on MCI/WorldCom for school in the past six months (even did a follow up on things after the major crash). Assuming that you bought the stock prior to today at $0.25 or less and you sold it at the current close of $0.32, you made about 27-28% on your money. Not to shabby for a days work, but are you going to be out in the cold if you see the value of the shares diminsh to $0.01 and you cash out? I am guessing that is not the case. You are playing with roughly $2300, a tidy sum to many and pocket change to others. To me, it is a lot of money because I am in college-but if I had my money in it, I would let it ride. The upside is huge and the down side is minimal. Remember, if it rises to $0.50, you have doubled your money! What are your goals with this investment tool? Match your goals with the performance of this stock and you will be fine. I think that you should ride it to the top personally! Good luck! Check the WSJ and other sources for your own refernce-you will be suprised what you learn about a company from public information.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Capitalist,

Well, I am no expert, but I did do an in-depth research project on MCI/WorldCom for school in the past six months (even did a follow up on things after the major crash). Assuming that you bought the stock prior to today at $0.25 or less and you sold it at the current close of $0.32, you made about 27-28% on your money. Not to shabby for a days work, but are you going to be out in the cold if you see the value of the shares diminsh to $0.01 and you cash out? I am guessing that is not the case. You are playing with roughly $2300, a tidy sum to many and pocket change to others. To me, it is a lot of money because I am in college-but if I had my money in it, I would let it ride. The upside is huge and the down side is minimal. Remember, if it rises to $0.50, you have doubled your money! What are your goals with this investment tool? Match your goals with the performance of this stock and you will be fine. I think that you should ride it to the top personally! Good luck! Check the WSJ and other sources for your own refernce-you will be suprised what you learn about a company from public information.
View Quote

BYU, Thanks for the response. I bought over 8500 shares yesterday and today for $1500.00 which is pocket change to me. I'm looking for WCOEQ to go to $2.00-$2.50 a share within 6-9 months after the restructure. I've been watching MCWEQ. I'm thinking of throwing $2,000 at this fund and see what happens. My goals for this stock are its a hobby. Any opinions on MCWEQ?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I thought that you had already purchased the MCWEQ. Silly me.

Ok, here is my opinion on your position. Why even bother with having two stocks that perform exactly the same way. Look at the price movements for the two stocks that you picked in this example for the past year. They move together because they are essentially the same firm. I know that is an over-simplification of the dynamic, but that is the essence of the relationship between the two stocks. I would either put the $2k into WCOEQ or into another good prospect. The market is ripe with good prospects right now. I personally think that MSFT is undervalued along with at least 50 other stocks. Sorry about the confusion on my part.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I thought that you had already purchased the MCWEQ. Silly me.

Ok, here is my opinion on your position. Why even bother with having two stocks that perform exactly the same way. Look at the price movements for the two stocks that you picked in this example for the past year. They move together because they are essentially the same firm. I know that is an over-simplification of the dynamic, but that is the essence of the relationship between the two stocks. I would either put the $2k into WCOEQ or into another good prospect. The market is ripe with good prospects right now. I personally think that MSFT is undervalued along with at least 50 other stocks. Sorry about the confusion on my part.
View Quote

Thats Ok. Give me your opinion on some of these 50 undervalued stocks. I'm always looking for something new[:D]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Play now. These will be re-issued soon in a 1:15 0r 1:20 ratio... daytrades are ok, but don't hold overnight. It will be sudden when the re-issue occurs.

EDITED TO ADD: 500!!! whoo-hoo!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Email me for a little background on why I picked these stocks. Here are a few large caps to get you started.

CC
TGT
WMT
FDX
COKE
MCD
CSCO
INTL
MSFT
TYC
GE

I would also be looking a the dynamic between nestle, mars, and hershey. It is too late to get in on hersheys move up, but they will be sold and someone will make some more money on the deal. You may also want to take a closer look at the drug industry dynamic. Pfizer will be facing increased competition from GSK in the next 6-12 months. It should be interesting when ever the dreaded RX reform gets passed (read AARP welfare). On the short side, I would look into REIT's because, IMHO the real estate market is overvalued across the board. The commercial side is beginning to see a decline due to the double hit of downsizing and tech slump. I also think that getting in on an index fund for the S&P or Dow would be a good move. Sure there is volatility, but I think that things will be looking good around the first of the year, unless we go to war or get hit again (crossing fingers and praying it is not the case). I highly recommend you invest $100 in a subscription to the WSJ in both the print and online versions. It will do you good.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Email me for a little background on why I picked these stocks. Here are a few large caps to get you started.
CC
TGT
WMT
FDX
COKE
MCD
CSCO
INTL
MSFT
TYC
GE
View Quote

I notice you put Inter-Tel (INTL) between Cisco and Microsoft.  Were you perhaps thinking of Intel (INTC) instead?

Also, why COKE (the bottler) instead of KO (the parent)?  Just curious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top