Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2002 2:24:11 PM EDT

So I left the University where I was a lowly Research Prof (I didn't have my own lab) and part-time lecturer and am moving into teaching full-time at the Junior College level. Actually I'll be teaching the same classes at the same level but now on a nearby Community College campus instead of University. Now the kicker - for MORE money than my University salary!

I've been wanting out of research for a while. I hated having to beg for money (write grants) every year and it's so much a crapshoot anyway. It was like I had two full-time jobs - writing grants full time and doing research full time (not to mention teaching a few classes as well) And I certainly didn't want my own lab either - then I'd have to teach more and raise grad students too - that would make it THREE full-time jobs.

So now I'm going to be out of the lab and into a purely teaching profession. And I just can't get over the fact that it pays MORE.

I be beddy-beddy happy now. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
So you'll be making more at a community college than a University? Hmm...

BTW: Welcome back.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So you'll be making more at a community college than a University? Hmm...
View Quote
Actually yes!

Research Profs (as opposed to Assistant/Associate Profs) don't run their own labs so don't get the bennies. But even the Asst/Assoc. Profs don't get more than what I'm going to get at the CC level, and they got to do research, teach AND raise grad students. Go figure.

Quoted:
BTW: Welcome back.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi Mac, welcome back, go buy some worldcom. What kind of research didn't you do, and what are you teaching??
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hi Mac, welcome back, go buy some worldcom.
View Quote
LOL!

Quoted:
What kind of research didn't you do, and what are you teaching??
View Quote
Was working in: Neuroscience & Immunology and teaching Microbiology and Anatomy&Physiology.

Am teaching still: Anatomy&Physiology & Microbiology.

Quoted:
Welcome back Mac. Now that you are gettin rich, would you remember us little people every now and again?
View Quote
Thanks. I'll try to.[;)]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats on the job man.  JC teaching jobs are the sweetest plum.  Less politics, as good or better of pay, and I think a better environment. Almost impossible to get full time gigs at the jcs around my area though, they just give you two classes and consider you a part timer so no benefits and crappy pay.  Gotta love California, 48th in education! Watch out Alabama, were comin' after ya!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top