Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 2:27:25 PM EDT
I've got a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop that's almost three years old. The original battery that came with it used to last three and a half or four hours, IIRC. Now, I'm lucky if it lasts 45 minutes. Is this normal? TIA [:)]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost any rechargeable battery has a "useful life span" and then they start to degrade rather quickly. The batteries for my Compaq laptop don't last more than 30 minutes now. To get the longest life out of them, make sure they are as discharged as possible before recharging them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I am sorry to say but from my experience this is kinda typical.
Time to buy a new batt. [:(]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Out-a-ammo makes a good point...rechargeable batteries can take a "set" if they are "topped off" too often without being fully discharged. My Stinkpads have a battery utility that will charge and fully discharge the battery three times to refresh them. Check with Dell, perhaps they have a similar feature.
View Quote
Nope, that's only true of NiCad (Nickle-Cadmium) batteries - one of the earliest successful rechargeable technologies.  It's called the "Dustbuster Effect" (for the first appliance that really pissed of consumers because of it) or "memory effect."  

All batteries have a useful life that depends on the number of charge/discharge cycles, and how deeply discharged the battery was.  A [i]partial[/i] discharge counts, but not as much as a complete discharge.  So, if you use your computer for 10 minutes unplugged, then "top it off," that counts as a charge/discharge cycle.  Some of the battery capacity is lost.  Nickle-metal-hydride (NiMH) and Lithium Ion batteries don't suffer from memory effect, but still suffer slow degradation with use.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have a ni-cad you may be able to get some of it back.Totally discharge it.I mean totally.Put in a moisture proof bag and put in the fridge for a week.Charghe it up and totally discharge on each use.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on your battery type, but three years is about right for replacement. If you can get a LiIon replacement, you should see no memory effect. Batteries are about the only thing that most manucacturers will not warrenty for more than a year.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I think they measure it by using a laptop which sits idly with the screen off and powersaver on.
View Quote

Exactly.  I think they also turn-off the harddrives.  We've got a mixture of Dell's and Sony Vaio's all with Lithium batteries, and even when new, 45 minutes is about all the life we'll see.  I'm typing this on a Vaio we bought last Friday, and the low battery warning starts beeping after only 20 minutes.  I guess the huge, bright screen is what makes the battery life so abysmal.  For those of us that actually use a computer, you'll [b]never[/b] get the battery life the marketing dweebs claim.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top