Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 1:41:21 PM EDT
I'm going on an overnight hiking trip soon to the top of Mt. Fuji (that's in Japan).  I was thinking that MREs, while not as good as mom's home cooking, would be perfect for this kind of thing.

Anybody know where I can buy them on the internet.  I only need 4 complete meals.  I'd like the military style ones and heaters if I can get 'em

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#1]
TheEpicenter.com has them.  I've never purchased anything from them though.  Good luck and have fun on your trip![:)]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.longlifefood.com[/url]

[8D]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
just about any army/navy surplus store
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
You're going on an [i]overnight[/i] trip and you want MREs?  Ugh.  Try some nice tasty freezedried foods instead.  They're good to keep the Yang up!

[url]http://www.mountainhouse.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I think well of marrich.com
[url]http://www.marrich.com/mre/mremaster.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]

I've bought Mre's from Ebay...

also from Major surplus and survival

www.MajorSurplusNSurvival.com
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#7]

This auction is up in 2 plus days...  

No bids yet..  

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2124084643[/url]

[img]http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_08474d809649732572f8f483f81a5c3d/i-1.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen it all.  Someone named soylentgreen
wants to buy MREs. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Meal
Ready to
Eat

3 lies for the price of one. Go to a good outfitter type store (REI, Bass Pro shop, etc.) and get some dehydrated entrees which you can suppliment with crackers etc. and have a much better meal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Blech-you want the food the army came up with? I heard they are gross. Lotsa fat and salt too. Can't you check out some hiking web pages and get some leads on regular civilian dehydrated food (or for overnight just regular old food)?

There are tons of places that sell these-search here for MRE. There is a link here somewhere to some place that sounds like a farm supply store that sells MREs and lots of bulk food. Some aren't "real" I think this is true of cheaper than dirt, but I don't know what the difference is.
View Quote

Don't knock em till you try em.  They aren't bad at all.

You HEAR that they're bad because of the current generation of sissies.  Remember - they now have vegetarian entrees, cocoa, and spiced teas because the USA said that's what the troops wanted.

Some gripes are real (lighten the load of ground troops, better footwear, more training/less deployment), and some are not. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Gun Shows
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I subscribe to a kayaker magazine that often does testing/rating of camping stuff.  They did an article on freeze-dried camping-type food.  Later they did a review of MRE's, and found that MRE's compared very favorably to stuff you can buy at a camping store.  Coming back from a gun show I bought one because my wife was curious to try one.  It wasn't bad at all.  For [i]survival food[/i], its gourmet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the taste of MREs. The main disadvantages are the weight and bulk.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everybody.

I've eaten MREs before.  My brother used to bring them home when he was in the Army.  The taste isn't bad at all...even if you eat 'em cold.

The main thing I'm looking for is convenience.  I can just throw a couple of those things in my backback and go.  I want some "American" food to take to the top of the mountain.  Therefore, I need to bring something that's non-perishalbe from the US.  Sushi is fine...but it goes bad during a long hike.  Ya know?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have found great prices on MRE's on EBAY. you just have to look around (best time is middle of the week, mid morning auctions when everyone else is working) just be sure your bidding on Tan MILSPEC ones with the heaters. most cases have inspection dates. i happen to like many entrees and the desserts are good. my favs are the jalepeno cheese spread and vegtable crackers.
also love mixing the caocoa and coffee and have a mocha party.
i was a grunt for almost 10 years and could never understand guys bitching about how bad MRE's were. when your tired and hungry chow is chow. and hot chow is better than cold chow. most times id rather have an MRE than whatever mystery meat we might get in a mermite container that was probably never washed.
i never got tired of telling whiney snivelin soldiers to quit yer fuckin cryin and eat your MRE. or ill eat if for ya.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#17]
They do not taste terrible and they are great for hiking, hunting an camping.
I even had one for lunch this week. I usually find the dessert portion the least tasty.
If you find one that is offensive, remember to add the key ingredient: Tabasco sauce.

I buy them by the case from CTD.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#18]
CTD?  Who's that?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#19]
CTD=Cheaper than Dirt

Good company, have never had a problem with any order from them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Do the cases of MREs from CTD come with heaters?

Anyone order MREs from [url]www.sportsmansguide.com[/url]? If so, did you get complete meals, the description on their website is a little sketchy.

Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#21]
All of the Y2K guys...

[:D]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#22]
yep

working on redoing my 3 month food supply, the lazy way

i found out that bags of rice from the grocery store grow worms after 3-4 months. 30 lbs of friggen brown rice that i'd stuffed in five gallon buckets and sealed, all wormy. Time to get some oxegen obsorbers and dry ice i guess.

Luckily the beans, peas, and canned food were ok.

I want to add a case of mres to the supplies, just for the heck of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top