Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC this is an urban legend....

Edited to add....YEP...sorry to say...

Origins:   Sorry, but this February 2000 e-mail is a fanciful tale of imagined revenge and nothing more -- searches of Australian news archives fail to turn up news stories featuring any of the people named in the account, reports about the shootings of the rapists, or the rape that supposedly sparked the retribution. Those living in the area also fail to recall seeing anything about this on the nightly news.

Moreover, in March 2000, an Australian newspaper referred to the already Internet-speeded story as "a good urban myth."

Regrettably, Grambo exists only in our hearts and inboxes. We cherish her anyway.

But really, could anyone honestly swallow a tale of vigilante justice in which the police spokesman is characterized as "admiring" of someone who turned a firearm on two others? As righteous as a cause might be, the moment a crime victim or one of her sympathizers takes matters into her own hands, that person becomes a criminal engaged in illegal activity. Police would not be "baffled" about what to do with such a person -- an arrest would be made and charges laid.

Those familiar with Australian forms of speech have pointed out no one from that country would refer to another as a bum (as the supposed police investigator did when he said "...hunting those bums down"). A "bum" Down Under is the body part one sits upon -- in that dialect, the term does not enjoy the diversity of meaning it does in North American slang.

Moreover, the various phrasings attributed to Ava Estelle would never drop from the lips of an Australian (unless she'd spent her life chained to a rock in the Ozarks).

Okay, so we can't believe the story. We still want to, though.

Fake or real, Grambo is perceived as a hero. In a world populated by bad guys seemingly always getting away with one horrible act after another, we need to believe that at least someone somewhere stood up to the wrongs, took matters into her own hands, and dealt out some much-needed justice, even if it was of the street variety. Popular culture is filled with instances of the wronged being denied protection by the authorities and having to right the world on their own because that theme plays into both what we hold as true deep in our hearts (criminals escape justice through legal loopholes) and what we wish for (justice being meted out to these miscreants anyway).

It's no accident that this work of fiction features two adult male rapists (which one immediately pictures as strong, overpowering creeps), a teenage girl victim, and a frail little old lady of 81 years (a retired library worker, at that). The contrast makes for a more thrilling tale, and the cheers over David toppling Goliath become louder and more enthusiastic.

Barbara "castigation by castration" Mikkelson
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeeee Haaaa...You go granny!![kill]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Justice has been served!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't Chuck Bronson about that age too?

She's the female Chuck Bronson, Aussie style.  

She is cool.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like an open/shut case to me. Give her gun back and a complimentary box of ammo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
definately Urban Legend...  I found it all over the Net.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Cricky, I guess he poses no more danger, danger, danger anymore. [in terrible Croc Hunter accent]

[uzi][8][8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
God bless you granny.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Granny made their day, and that story made mine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#16]
THIS is justice, not the mangled style we deal out with in this country.  We need more REAL justice, as dispensed by relatives to be enacted against perps.  It would make my job easier also!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
And No one mentioned that in Australia, it is illegal to have such a fire arm?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Come on, we WANT to believe.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#19]
This sounds similar to what the Million Mom Marcher Barbara Graham(Lipscomb)did to avenge her sons death.  Opps, she got the wrong guy though.
[url]http://www.dnaco.net/~tinc/mmm.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#20]
A Time to Castrate

too bad it's just an urban legend
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#21]
LMAO, I can see granny in her best Elmer Fudd voice saying "I'm huntin' rapers."

If that was real and it took place here in the US. Granny would disappear into a prison never to be seen again and her granddaughter would spend the rest of her life in prison as an accessory to murder being raped by other prisoners and guards.

Liberals would be exposing the viciousness and lawlessness of the elderly. After all the old lunitic admitted to illegally hoarding illegal weapons of illegal destruction, death, mayhem and going on a murderous shooting blood lust rampage which left two fine young voters, I mean men in the prime of their youth fearing for their lifes and horribly mutilated. They'd immediatly introduce bills in emergencey sesssions that required the old folks to be strip searched daily to check for assault weapons (never mind that no assault weapon was used in the shooting). They'd (liberal scum) would also be advising all future rape victims to cooperate with the rapists and to remain quite afterwards to prevent such horrible crimes from happening again. And they'd (again horrible liberal scum) would pardon the two criminals, pay for their doctor bills, pay for lifetime rehabilitating visits, probably a full time prostitute to help their esteem issues, a new identity in the Federal Witness Protection Program, Career Training, a new house, a new job, and what else am I missing, Oh yeah, freedom from future prosecution. After all they are the real victims here.

Kidding,,, Really,,, I'm kidding,,,

Where'd the top go, Oh I see it, I'm over it now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I live in Bondi Beach (East Sydney) 7 Mos a year, and I swear - A rapist would not live 2 days if he was fingered, so I can see where the granny story comes from. I'm sure there is more truth to that story than you think.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I guess that if I had read the thread in its current entirety, then I would have saved myself the search for a reference.  Should have caught that "sainthood" part.
Yes, and Urban Legend, but, like many legends, one with both a moral and a hero.  Not bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top