Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2002 1:16:11 PM EDT
i have a few questions. first, a friend of mine is selling his H&K USP 9mm with 1 hi-cap mag and 2 ten rounders for 600. it has less than 50 rounds put through it. is this a good deal, and how easy is it to get spare parts and mags for H&K? also, i want to get a Hi-Power and dont know if i should get a Browning or FN. can anyone tell me if one is better than the other or if they are essentially the same gun? any input is greatly appreciated. thanks.
I Shoot,Therefore I Am.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go for the Browning HP.  Several folks have reported less then stellar finish and rough spots on the FN models.  Check out [url]www.fnhipower.com[/url] for more info on any of the High Power models.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[red]everyone i know that has bought a usp has sold it.[/red]

I have shot both fn and browning HP. For me they were very close. If the price was right i'd look at either. Don't know much about them but i want a HP as well.
View Quote

So you are saying you have known NOBODY who has ever bought a USP?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#5]
My personal opinion is the Browning Hi power has the most natural feeling grip and is very easy to aim and shoot, it is also very accurate and of course very well designed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd try and widdle him down $150 or so.  But that's just me - if you gotta have it, you gotta have it.  Check on gunsamerica.com to give yourself some sort of guideline on whether or not you're getting a good deal on a hand gun.

The H&K USP model is great if you like high bore axis pistols with long double-action trigger pulls.  On the other hand, they are extremely reliable and some people can get some real accuracy out of them.  Parts and accesories shouldn't be a concern.  Myself, I prefer the gun that H&K was competing against when they introduced the USP line (Hint, it starts with a "G").

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd try and widdle him down $150 or so.  But that's just me - if you gotta have it, you gotta have it.  Check on gunsamerica.com to give yourself some sort of guideline on whether or not you're getting a good deal on a hand gun.

The H&K USP model is great if you like high bore axis pistols with long double-action trigger pulls.  On the other hand, they are extremely reliable and some people can get some real accuracy out of them.  Parts and accesories shouldn't be a concern.  Myself, I prefer the gun that H&K was competing against when they introduced the USP line (Hint, it starts with a "G").

View Quote

$150 is kinda high for a used Browning Hi-Power...

You can place the USP into SINGLE-ACTION mode... No "long double-action pull" to worry about.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a USP in .40 and HATED that gun, but I also had a HK Tactical .45 that I loved, so go figure.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
first, a friend of mine is selling his H&K USP 9mm with 1 hi-cap mag and 2 ten rounders for 600. it has less than 50 rounds put through it. is this a good deal, and how easy is it to get spare parts and mags for H&K?
View Quote

Did it originally come with a case, lock, 2 magazines (probably lo-cap), and manual? If it came in a little brown box (with 1 mag, manual, and lock), then he probably got an EXCELLENT DEAL on it (like $400-$450), but that does not mean the gun is worth less than one that came with the case and 2 10-round mags.

The factory hi-cap mag is worth between $85 and $100, depending on the source. New factory 10-rounders are about $35. Offer him $500 and see if he bites... is it a full-size in Stainless? remember-- the full-size stainless models are no longer made.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
ISTIA,

"Throw away that ugly plastic gun and get a 1911"

Isn't that what Tommy Lee Jones said?

No, seriously, 1911 or BHP, both John Browning's lasting designs are never a bad choice.
Now, for $600 you can get a good one.

For a little more that new Springfield Micro is kewl...
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ISTIA,

"Throw away that ugly plastic gun and get a 1911"

Isn't that what Tommy Lee Jones said?
View Quote

No, he was referring to that nickel plated-looking gun. They used Glocks later, and he swapped the magazines to give the bad guy an emtpy mag, if I remember correctly, while the "bad cop" was marking the nickel-plated gun into evidence (the gun he really used to shoot the other cop and place the blame on Wesley Snipes).
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/P220_large.gif[/img]

i've been stroking my boner while looking at this picture for a long time now
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
SIG SIG SIG !

[url]www.SIGTalk.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#14]
HK HK HK!

[url]http://www.hkpro.com[/url]

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can place the USP into SINGLE-ACTION mode... No "long double-action pull" to worry about.
View Quote

Are you sure about that? I own a USP 45 S/S Compact & that's not one of my options. Bobbed hammer & all that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I own both a H&K USP & Hi-Power, love them both. My H&K is a USP 45 S/S Compact & I use it for my carry gun. I use my Hi-Power for IDPA & to ease folks into shooting a 9mm.

The H&K would probably be the better carry gun due to its DA operation. The HP is simply a joy to shoot & own. I'd give the H&K a slight edge on accuracy, both equal on dependability.

I would never sell either. $600 is too much for a used H&K 9mm, IMO. If he won't come down a bunch ($500) go to the HP. Hi-cap mags can be had for as little as $15 each for the HP.

Go check out Kentucky Imports web site, www.ky-imports.com for some prices. Also get a Gun List newspaper from Barnes & Noble or Books-a-Million & check prices there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I just bought a brand new MarkIII highpower about 6 weeks ago. I like it so much that I rarely get out the Glock 23, 40 cal amymore. The accuracy is supurb and the gun points like a Bird Dog. I say skip the plastic and go strait for the real thing a HP. john
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:56:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a USP Compact in .40, and really didn't get along with it. Recoil was nasty, and weird. It would sort of recoil backwards, and to the side - muzzle would flip to the 2 o'clock position.

I love my Sig 229. Sweet shooter.

I recently began looking for a new handgun, and got rave reviews for the CZ 75B. So I bought one. Worth a look. REALLY nice trigger.

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:00:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Move every Sig.

You know what you doing.

Move Sig.

For great justice.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you sure about that? I own a USP 45 S/S Compact & that's not one of my options. Bobbed hammer & all that.
View Quote

Yeah I am sure about that-- I own two of them.

He was asking about the USP, not the USP COMPACT. Compacts have the bobbed hammer. Also-- look into the "border patrol" trigger modifications for the compact models. Pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Guys, remember-- compact models are different than the full-size USP models, thereofre experiences may differ. Also, USP models may differ as well, depending on the trigger and safety options, as well as size. (USP45 frame & slide is larger than the USP9. i.e. it does not fit in the same box.)
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I have an HK Tactical and a P7M8. Both quailty handguns. $600 for a 9mm(less than 50 rounds)with two tens and a high cap is reasonable @ today's market prices (IMO). Where can you get a quality high cap for $15?? If you can talk him down fine if not he'll definitely sell it else where.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#23]
ISTIA: I would offer $500 just to see if he takes the offer, but $600 is still a good price with 3 mags (1 being a hi-cap high quality mag).

Its like you bought the HK for $525 with two mags, and paid $75 for his hi-cap mag. Maybe he will sell us his hi-cap mag for $75 (or whatever) and you the gun for $525???? Or you can buy it all for $600 and sell the high-cap to us directly...

hmm... you will be glad you had the hi-cap. I have only ONE, and wish I had more.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#24]
HK is the way to go.

But if you want a nice carry pistol; get yourself a Walther P99 in .40. You will be pleased.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[red]$150 is kinda high for a used Browning Hi-Power...[/red]

View Quote

If you're finding Browning HPs for under $150 you gotta let the rest of us know where. I'll be first in line to make a bulk order!!!

Jake
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#26]
thanks guys for your input. i was kind of leaning toward the HP over the HK mostly because the grips are a better fit for my hands. ive definitely decided on the Browning HP. thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#27]
[size=5] SIG P220 .45 [/size=5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top