Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2002 5:47:30 AM EDT
[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/784733.asp[/url]

This year, more than 3,000 club-related jobs in Mexico have been cut as Southern California companies such as foundry Coastcast Corp. and grip maker Lamkin Corp. respond to competitive pressure from Southeast Asia.  

The general response: Go out of business or set up in China.
View Quote

First, we lose jobs to Mexico.  Now, Mexico is losing them to China...
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a lot ironic. I kinda feel sorry for them for loosing jobs. But I'm a little desensitized to the whole job loss thing by news reports (100,000 jobs here, 500,000 layoffs there, 200,000 outta work there).

Guess we'll have to start offering tax incentives for companies that stay in Mexico.

Kinda curious about the 'unfairness' of relocation incentives. Is it unfair for companies to relocate to get a better deal and offer lower prices for consumers?

"So many jobs have fled across the Pacific this year that Mexican Trade Minister Luis Derbez says he suspects China is offering unfair incentives. Mr. Derbez this month announced an investigation into whether some 5,000 small manufacturers transferring operations to China since 2000 received illegal subsidies. If so, he says, Mexico will complain to the World Trade Organization."
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:15:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Kinda curious about the 'unfairness' of relocation incentives. Is it unfair for companies to relocate to get a better deal and offer lower prices for consumers?

"So many jobs have fled across the Pacific this year that Mexican Trade Minister Luis Derbez says he suspects China is offering unfair incentives. Mr. Derbez this month announced an investigation into whether some 5,000 small manufacturers transferring operations to China since 2000 received illegal subsidies. If so, he says, Mexico will complain to the World Trade Organization."
View Quote

Yup!  It was all well and good when the jobs were going TO Mexico and US workers were pitching a fit.  But now, the jobs are LEAVING Mexico for the exact same reasons they went there and their panties are all up in a bunch about it...

Turnaround is fair play.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the AFL/CIO, the Teamsters, and all the other unions should go to China and demand that the workers unionize!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think the AFL/CIO, the Teamsters, and all the other unions should go to China and demand that the workers unionize!
View Quote

I'd like them to do that, too.  Do you think their families would mind paying China the 36 cents per bullet that Beijing charges the families of executed antigovernment activists??

I see this trend here, too.  Manufacturing jobs went to Mexico;  now engineering jobs are going to Russia, and software jobs are going to India.  IMHO the only jobs that will be left in the U.S. in another 10-20 years will be (a) business development jobs, primarily those which connect companies here to overseas manufacturers, and (b) personal services jobs, such as dental hygienist, mechanic, bootlegger, and prostitute.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I think revamp the gunshop a little.  RCS Guns, dentistry, mechanic, distillery and "special services".  Oh did I mention Sten Gun repair while you wait?  The other "special services" are optional and provided by our lovely range officers/hostesses for a small "tip".
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think it is ironic at all...just coincidence...hehe

Usage Note: The words ironic, irony, and ironically are sometimes used of events and circumstances that might better be described as simply “coincidental” or “improbable,” in that they suggest no particular lessons about human vanity or folly. Thus 78 percent of the Usage Panel rejects the use of ironically in the sentence In 1969 Susie moved from Ithaca to California where she met her husband-to-be, who, ironically, also came from upstate New York. Some Panelists noted that this particular usage might be acceptable if Susie had in fact moved to California in order to find a husband, in which case the story could be taken as exemplifying the folly of supposing that we can know what fate has in store for us. By contrast, 73 percent accepted the sentence Ironically, even as the government was fulminating against American policy, American jeans and videocassettes were the hottest items in the stalls of the market, where the incongruity can be seen as an example of human inconsistency.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Still, humorously coincidental that the same market forces that are putting our people out of work are starting to put their people out of work.

Wonder what the World Trade Organization is going to do to China? Sanction them? Didn't the World Trade Organization get blown up with our World Trade Center?

Maybe Mexico should help us fight the terrorist in revenge for blowing up WTO and laving them with no one to complain to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top