Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2002 11:17:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that the take down rifle in .22LR?  If it is, I saw and shot a pre ban used at the local range a while back.  Interesting trunk gun I would call it or back pack gun.

The one I shot didn't do too well at 25yds.  Granted, it could have been me (or the ammo), but I've done better with other used rifles.

Looks like it would be fun, but I don't know.  The stock/storage unit is a little bulky I think.  They call it a survival rifle (originally).  I'll do the job (birds, rabbits....)

Edited for spelling and other stuff.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Never have shot one. I've always kind of wanted one "just because it's interesting".
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Charter Arms I bought in 1980. Never able to hit shit with it. I don't know if it's the sights or me, but it's still a fun little rifle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
... but it's still a fun little rifle.
View Quote

That sentence is very frightening.  

Weapons are serious tools for law enforcement and other government officials.  They are not toys.  They are not "fun".  

Please turn that and any other weapons you have over to law enforcement.

EDITED because I'm powerful enough to do so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, it's supposed to be Red Davis, fool.

As to the AR-7, there have been a number of complaints about them.  If that makes you worry, check out the Marlin Papoose instead.  Another take down 22, it's light, accurate, and handy.  Costs a bit more, $200 or so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on what you want it for.

If you want a plinker that will hit tin cans, it will work fine.  They're cute in a weird sort of way.  It probably has some utility as a survival rifle, say if you're backpacking, but if you have a vehicle and can burn up around 10lbs of dead weight in the back of it, I'd suggest something a little more substantial.

Be sure to fire any one that you are thinking of buying.  They went through a lot of different manufacturers, and some weren't too good.  They are also prone to magazine feeding problems, especially with the plastic Ramline mags.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:25:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had a few, and made some special barrels for them. Not a highly accurate piece, it still serves as a light, compact, floating unit for backpacking, canoe trips, etc.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've had a few, and made some special barrels for them. Not a highly accurate piece, it still serves as a light, compact, floating unit for backpacking, canoe trips, etc.
View Quote

Kurt, are you suggesting they make better paddles than rifles? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's a good rifle to take on a canoe trip if, if you for some reason need to do so, because it will float.  Trigger pull was awwwwful.  The stock is rather bulky, as Kaliburz mentioned; it's pretty fat.
View Quote

You mean "on a kayak trip". [:D]

One other problem -- the sear can wear and the rifle will start to double.
I imagine that it's been improved somewhat since the one I'm familiar with was made.
View Quote

Less than you might think.  The main "improvement" I've seen for it is a "military folding stock" -- which completely eradicates the "it floats" advantage, since it's a wireframe stock.  Haven't seen much else out for it.

ABTW, you can get a .22-sized claw-mount scope rail added to the top pretty easily and cheaply (just use a chunk of aluminum extrusion, and drill-and-tap two holes into the receiver's top).  However, (1) be sure the receiver will still fit in the buttstock, and (2) the scope will have to be left off when you put the parts in the stock.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#11]
[b]One other problem -- the sear can wear and the rifle will start to double."[/b]

They'll do this right out of the box, no extra charge!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#13]
As an alternative, the Springfield Armory M6 Scout is a nice, cheap little .22/410 combo gun that folds down into an easily carried case.  Mine is a stainless version that I paid $170 at a gunshow.  At 25yds, I can easily hit golfball size targets with the iron sights.  The .410 is nice to have while camping, too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#14]
i had an ar-7 (charter arms) that i picked up at an auction. since i already had a marlin papoose, the ar-7 would have been a good gift, i thought. but when i gave it a good look over, i decided the construction wasn't that great, the stock was bulky, and that i didn't think of it as anything more than an interesting novelty.

as it turn out, i parted the thing out on ebay and made a decent profit. to me the marlin was better all around. stainless, compact, readily available parts and mags and i enjoy shooting it regularly. and do fairly well with it out to 100 yds or so with stock sights.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had three. Two of the old "Armalite" made rifles, and one "Charter". By far, the old Armalites are the most desirable.. With some practice, they can shoot quite accurately, considering their intended application.. (extremely compact, low maintenance pack/survival kit rifle)

The biggest problems I've encountered has been the steady degredation of quality in the versions since Armalite quit making them.. The Charters were serviceable, but did not have the durability of the Armalites, and the "survival", and "Henry" variants did not lend much confidence..The plastic jacket over the steel barrel is the complete anthesis of the origional's aluminimum over steel barrel.(Intended to promote a very light,yet rigid barrel assembly)

Magazines are another issue. There appears to be ten junk AR-7 mags for each useable one.If you wish your AR-7 to work reliably, you need to test, tweak, and be selective of the mags you use.

If you are serious about one of these, seek out one of the Armalites, and find some good mags.. Remember this was neve intended to be a match rifle, or something you shoot every weekend.(Once a month for maintenance, or proficency is about it..) It is intended to be a tool kept in a pack for emergency purposes. Very few do this as well as an AR-7..

If you are just after a semiauto .22, get a Ruger 10-22..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0JwAAANcMlu2IFTFzKDUQ8hzLoFFnPPY4D6aTiFGDoVY5erM4VjArTfQwKa0Yo286/AR-7.jpg[/img]

Heres an old ArmaLite.It works great.A little picky about ammo.I've shot a friends old Charter and it ran fine.A newer on jamed once every mag.Two survivals one perfect the other was a one shot. It bent a ruined the second shell.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh sh*t, I forgot how shitty the trigger is. Yeah, the trigger sucks bad.

I never had any feeding problems until I bent one of the feed lips on the mag. I used to empty the mag at full speed, no problem.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the Henry AR-7. It is both a novelty and a piece of crap. My advice is not to waste your money.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I've just about got my Granddad talked out of his Armalite POGUS AR-7 that he picked up G-d knows where - I remember plinking with that thin when I was a kid and hitting cans and baseballs at 50-75 yards over iron without too much trouble.  I don't know how much work he did to it himself, but it was a SWEET little rifle, and I don't think anyone has fired it since I did last...

Hopefully, I'll have it soon.  Should fit nicely under the back seat in my truck.

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#23]
arma fan,

i don't think armalite produced a rifle in that configuration. isn't that one of the izzy imports? i though israel did the "flash" suppressor (on a .22 r.f.????), the grip and the telestock. were they rebarreled by the izy's?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Got my Charter Arms 20 years ago & spent the '80's figuring out how to make it work:

Use only high velocity 40 gr bullets.

Carefully bend the magazine lips to just barely touch the top round in a full mag. This will make a shallower feed angle & prevent the bullet nose from jamming against the top of the chamber.

Slightly chamfer the chamber mouth all the way around & file a very slight feed ramp at the bottom of the chamber with a small rat-tail file.

The only really reliable high cap mag was the steel 25 rounder briefly offered by Charter in the late '80's. I stupidly only bought 1 & it's one of my more valuable possessions.

KKF, how much do you want for a bull barrel that's .800" dia for its full length??
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Speaking of the Marlin Papoose, what about the Packer stock system for the 10/22 from Butler Creek?  Anyone have any experience with it?  Seems to  me that every time you'd take off the barrel, you'd change your POI.  Thoughts?

-Gloftoe
View Quote

Drill and tap the barrel for a cantilever mount, you won't find any problems with POI change.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top