Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2002 12:52:17 PM EDT
I need help in identifying a German beer guys. A buddy of mine was stationed in Germany in 1996, he brought back a "A" bag full of German beer. My favorite of the lot was a beer with a picture of what appeared to be a "Fryer" or a "Monk" on the front holding a Stein of beer. Does anyone have any idea what this was?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Mmmmmmm...beer![beer]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
[url=http://www.franziskaner.com/]Frankiskaner[/url], perhaps?

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

the_reject
View Quote

DUDE!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!

That was quick, I've been looking for that beer for 5 or 6 years and you find it in about 30 seconds.....you sir are my frickin' hero!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the_reject
View Quote

That was quick, I've been looking for that beer for 5 or 6 years and you find it in about 30 seconds.....you sir are my frickin' hero!!!!
View Quote

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's widely availble in the states. Comes in a 22 oz bottle and is usally shelved next to the Paulaner. (ala Kroger/QFC/Safeway)

P.s.   Try the Paulaner, It's much tastier. [beer]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's some pretty good stuff.

What can I say, I'm a beer snob.  See below, and I apologize for the picture size:

[img]http://jlervine.freeshell.org/BottleCollection.jpg[/img]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's widely availble in the states. Comes in a 22 oz bottle and is usally shelved next to the Paulaner. (ala Kroger/QFC/Safeway)
View Quote

It is generally widely available.  While I don't find it in grocery stores that often, it is certainly in most package stores I've been to.

View Quote

If you are gonna drink a hefeweizen, drink the original one: Weihenstephaner.  [;)]

[beer]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It is generally widely available.  While I don't find it in grocery stores that often, it is certainly in most package stores I've been to.

View Quote

If you are gonna drink a hefeweizen, drink the original one: Weihenstephaner.  [;)]

[beer]
the_reject
View Quote

I have not been able to find it here in the midwest. Apparently they have a importer on the west coast and the east coast according to their website. I emailed them to ask if they distribute out here........

I have tried Paulaner....you are right it is a very choice beer!!! Thanks again guys!!!

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I will consult with my friend who is visiting me from Germany these next few days about some of his local favorites.  I know he prefers Astra which is the major local brewery in Hamburg.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

[beer]

the_reject
View Quote

Heheh, a man that knows good beer: my personal fav is Zwiefalter Hefeweizen Dunkel (courtesy of Landkreis Reutlingen, Baden-Württemberg)

Or a great Belgian white; try Hoegaarden Witbier

These are the 2 best beers that I know of. The zweifelter I only get every other month or so. Gotta step up the trips to Reutlingen [:)]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have not been able to find it here in the midwest. Apparently they have a importer on the west coast and the east coast according to their website. I emailed them to ask if they distribute out here........
View Quote

If you ever find yourself in the Atlanta area, look me up and I'll buy a pack for ya.  [;)]  The local package store right down the street carries it (and is owned by former Marines!)

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Heheh, a man that knows good beer: my personal fav is Zwiefalter Hefeweizen Dunkel (courtesy of Landkreis Reutlingen, Baden-Württemberg)
View Quote

Haven't had that one before.  I'll have to be on the look-out for it.

Or a great Belgian white; try Hoegaarden Witbier
View Quote

I have, however, consumed mass quantities of this one.  [;)]  Hoegaarden is very tasty, but I think I prefer Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel.

These are the 2 best beers that I know of. The zweifelter I only get every other month or so. Gotta step up the trips to Reutlingen [:)]
View Quote

In the picture that I posted (which is by no means complete, I just started collecting the bottles late), there is only one beer up there that I did not thoroughly enjoy.  It was a French bitter in a green bottle with the recloseable top.  You can see it in the third photo section of the image.  Tasted like absolute crap.

I can only think of two good drinks that ever came out of France - champagne and Grey Goose vodka!

the_reject

(edit: spelling)
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Franzikaner, also known as "Drunk Monk". Got one in the fridge as we speak. Savin' it for after work tonight.

Talk to your local liquor store and ask them if they could order it for you. 9 times out of ten they will.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

What can I say, I'm a beer snob.  See below, and I apologize for the picture size:

the_reject
View Quote

That'd be a pretty good selection if it weren't for the  water bottles! (MGD & CORONA)
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

the_reject
View Quote

That'd be a pretty good selection if it weren't for the  water bottles! (MGD & CORONA)
View Quote

Kind of my thoughts when I saw it.  I can live with the Corona, but the MGD has got to go.  No self respecting beer snob would be caught dead with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, those were the weeks when I was really low on cash.  [:D]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#16]
German beer, it don't get no better.

There is a French Malt Liquor with a Monk on it also, comes in a brown "Grolsch-style" bottle.
Fischer D'Alsace ..it's great too (it ain't a great German, but it's got some flavor and kick)

Corona? In 1983 I was in California on business, when the locals tried to give me Corona. I used to sneak into Mexico when I was underage to drink that shit, cause it was like .30 cents (U.S.) for a bottle in the 70's. The local Kali-boys say "It's the most popular beer in Mexico"
I said "Yeah, cause they're all broke..it's the cheapest beer in Mexico! " Heck the only U.S. made beer I'll drink is Shiner Bock.

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#17]
[i]cgwahl realizes he goes to work a few miles away from a German deli that sells German beer
cgwahl also realizes Alpine Village isn't too much of an excessive drive

cgwahl thinks to himself that he is going to have to try some foreign beers while he is waiting for the batch of beer he brewed on Sunday to get ready for bottling/carbination...[/i]

[^]

Basically what I'm saying is neener, neener, neener...heh.  Out of curiousity what other German beer would one recommend?...[:|]

Seriously though, if you can't get it where you're at if you really want it (and they have it), I suppose we can try to work something out to where I can mail it to you, that is if mailing beer is legal...just email me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:52:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Basically what I'm saying is neener, neener, neener...heh.  Out of curiousity what other German beer would one recommend?...[:|]

Seriously though, if you can't get it where you're at if you really want it (and they have it), I suppose we can try to work something out to where I can mail it to you, that is if mailing beer is legal...just email me.
View Quote

That's fine...  Helen, GA isn't too far from me, so I plan to drive up for Oktoberfest.  There are also numerous beer gardens in Atlanta, and several large package stores that carry wide assortments of imports.

I think that there would be no problem mailing beer, or at least shipping it.  There are a few beer of the month clubs out there...

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Gold Ochsen, Ulmer Munster Hefeweizen, Stuttgarter Hofbrau, Dinkel Acker, Schwaben Brau
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Ohh man, I remember Schwaben Brau.  I went to a german school and every few months our 9th grade teacher would take the class on a forced march err field trip.  After we got back he always took us to the local beerstube and we all had a beer.  Those were the days.
Dinkel Acker, Paulaner and local Nuremberg micro brews all left great memories.

Fritz
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Ah...Abbot Ale,
There was that airbase in East Anglia where the Red Horse Squadron was...RAF Somethingorotherham? (Help me out here, Brothers) Anyway, when I would visit, there was a Pub outside the base where one could pursue "After-dinner Drinking."
And that's how I met the Abbot.

But for German Beer, there can be only one...
Perminator from Parkbrau. The rest is simply bottled urine.
Just kidding [:D]

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone know if Dortmunder is still around?

Last time I asked for it at Rudi Lechner's they told me that they couldn't get it any more.

Fine German beer...Dortmunder Union I think it was called....Dark and Light both...damn fine......
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I need help in identifying a German beer guys. A buddy of mine was stationed in Germany in 1996, he brought back a "A" bag full of German beer. My favorite of the lot was a beer with a picture of what appeared to be a "Fryer" or a "Monk" on the front holding a Stein of beer. Does anyone have any idea what this was?
View Quote

Kulmbacher out of Vilsec or Graf? Memory fails. Long time ago. In those days (Germany) I was short from day one  and if you could smoke it or drink it I did.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#25]
If you can find it, Chimay is great! It's Belgian, not german, but damn good. Comes in a corked bottle, and is like 13-14%. It's one of my favorite non Guinness beers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

the_reject
View Quote

Don't feel bad! I remember (Barely) being a poor young private waiting for payday and having to drink the likes of Olympia, Gobel, Old Milwaukee, etc. Then there were the times I could only afford MD 20/20! Rough mornings![:X*]
[whacko]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#27]
...My personal favorite is Erdinger Hefe Weizen!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:02:55 AM EDT
[#28]
yeah, Franziskaner ist gut, but I really like Erdinger WeiBbier a lot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the_reject
View Quote

Don't feel bad! I remember (Barely) being a poor young private waiting for payday and having to drink the likes of Olympia, Gobel, Old Milwaukee, etc. Then there were the times I could only afford MD 20/20! Rough mornings![:X*]
[whacko]
View Quote

Heh, well, Corona is as low as I'll go for an "import" when I'm low on cash, but it's about equal to the very limited selection of American beer that I will allow myself to drink, those being MGD, Miller High Life, and Michelob Amber Bock.  I can't tolerate much else as far as American macro-brews go.

...and I can thankfully say I've never had to stoop to the MD 20/20 level, or the sex-in-a-canoe beer that is Natural Light, or the tastebud torture of Milwaukee Beast.  If it comes down to those, I just won't have any beer for the weekend.  [:D]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
...My personal favorite is Erdinger Hefe Weizen!!!
View Quote

Quoted:
yeah, Franziskaner ist gut, but I really like Erdinger WeiBbier a lot.
View Quote

Interesting...  You guys share a personality?  [:D]

Erdinger weissbier dunkel is probably second only to Weihenstephaner (to me) as far as hefeweizens are concerned.  They are both excellent brews.

the_reject
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top