Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2002 9:23:24 AM EDT
What's the easiest way to find out if a business is really legit?  As in a real enitity, not just a sign erected by someone?

Thanks,
Chimborazo

Edited because I'm dumb.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the City Hall, and pull the public record info on the owner
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What's the easiest way to find out if a business is really legit?  As in a real enitity, not just a sign erected by someone?
View Quote

Call them up. Ask about the business: do they have a street address (Always be wary of PO boxes)? How long have they been in business? Depending on the type of business: do they have references? Ask for the names of some of their bigger accounts.

After that, check the phone book or call information to see if they're listed by the business name you have. Check with the Better Business Bureau, chamber of commerce, or call their references.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  I'm trying to figure out if this building contracter really has a legit business.  He says his company name is XXXXXX Restoration and Construction, LLC and he lists his home telephone and street address as his business address.  I guess I'm trying to find out if the LLC really exists, and if so, how long it has existed.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#6]
What's a d/b/a?[:I]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#7]
d/b/a = doing business as

Jake
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#10]
If you've reached the point where you're asking if this guy really exists, don't you think it's time to look for another contractor?

Lots of people do  business from their home. (Me included)  However, that has no bearing on whether they're honest or not.

The courthouse records are not really going to be a big help,  it's a 10$ fee here to register a business, and no proof is needed of anything. Matter of fact, the form provided space for four business names.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Aimless, that was exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!!

And thanks to everyone else for your replies.

Johninaustin,
I'm not looking for him to do work for me...I'm having a problem with him.  I have a contract with his business, so I wanted to make sure it still exists, since any lawyer I get is going to ask me.

Thanks again.

-C
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#12]
You have a problem with him.
You have a contract with his business.

Who is/was to do what under the contract here, and what is the problem?

Give us some more info and you might get additional help to prepare you for your lawyer

[url]leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#13]
You could pull a D&B on them. If they have been in business for any substantial length of time, they should have a credit rating.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is the thread it is relating to:
[url]http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?id=116704[/url]

He has been in business since 1999 as an LLC, but I doubt there is money in the company.  However, I'm sure the company has some assets, because he's probably taking tax deductions on things like vehicles, tools, etc.

Man, I feel like such a f**king sucker.  It really makes me mad.[V]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, now I remember.

You do want to find out what assets may exist.  If you can't find any, some folks would say its a waste taking him to court.

Public Records can tell you a lot.  There are books on the subject.

That site that Aimless posted also has UCC filings, if I'm not mistaken.  If you financed your car there would be one for you.  If he or his LLC just financed equipment, a stack of building materials or something else, you MAY find one for him or for his company.  Ideally you may find something with real value that he has finally paid for.

A visit to the tax assessor's office may get you a look at the alphabetical index of property owners.  Elsewhere in the county office will be the place where deeds, mortages, judgements, liens, leasehold interests (say he rented a warehouse for 5 years) and other interesting items get recorded.

The court clerks' offices have an index of people and companies who sued and have been sued.  They can pull the file for you to sign out and read there in the office.

In the building inspection and permits office, you may be able to look up jobs he has taken out permits on, including any of his own projects.  A homeowner retaining part of the price of the construction being done might have some money that you could get if you had a judgement.

Also some states have personal property tax assessments, and you MAY be able to find personal property (tangible & movable) that way

Don't forget motor vehicles, though your state may not allow you to get the records yourself (to prevent stalking).

You don't say how you paid the $3,000 but hopefully it was a check, which then will give you a bank account number leading to a branch account.
You may also find that he put it into his own account instead of the LLC's, or endorsed it over to somebody he owed instead.

Anyway, good luck with this.  If the lawyer doesn't want the case, at least they can give you some good advice on the do-it-yourslef approach.  Also, in some places the small claims courts have advisors for people like you to navigate.

However, a crafty lawyer may come up with ways to motivate the guy short of a lawsuit, and may be able to get the guy to cough up $ or information about future $ or other assets.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:15:04 AM EDT
[#16]
You guys rule.

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top