Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2002 3:55:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#1]
``The bottom line is, we can do it. It's well within the law,'' said Adrian Share of HNTB Corp., general consultants for the rail authority. ``With the cooperation of state troopers, the state is allowed to pull people over just to seek information.''
View Quote

they've got a "law" allowing just about anything under the right circumstances

want to shoot an infant? as long as you're a swat team member serving a no knock warrant, it's OK
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:13:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't even stop for surveys in the mall and hang up the phone on the ones that call the house. What's next roadside telemarketers!!?? [rolleyes] Now I have to answer survey questions at the point of a gun...
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well, it's also "Well within the law " to tell them to "take your survey and shove it up your a$$"
View Quote

"During the interview, my suspicions were aroused by the motorist's furtive movements and agitation.  Upon questioning the motorist further about his travel route, he became evasive.  Knowing that I-4 is a route used by drug trafficers, and seeing that the driver was travelling alone, another indicator, and heading away from an area known for drug traffic, I determined that the facts and circumstances gave rise to a reasonable suspicion that the motorist may be involved in illegal activity, so backup was called over and we proceeded to......"
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Surveys like this were being conducted at several locations around north/east Dallas a couple months ago.

Idiots here put them at the END OF FREEWAY/INTERSTATE ENTRANCE RAMPS!  Complete with uniformed, armed police standing by the side of the stop point to ensure compliance.

Long lines of motorists formed behind the survey takers at peak rush hours.

Questions asked were "Where are you coming from?" and "Where are you going?"  They were on a written form you were supposed to complete and mail back to Texas Department of Transportation.

I thought the armed cop was an especially nice touch in a supposedly free society.

BTW that questionnaire went File 13.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]
All you whiners pay your income tax every year, shit, that is voluntary also (just read the form)...

You bitch about a little inconvience?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#9]
They SUCK!  As much as I drive for work, and used to drive I-4 about the whole thing twice a week, I've been stopped right there at Polk City a number of times, and always tell them I'm in a hurry, they are costing me thousands of dollars, and they can all kiss my rednecked, white, pimply, hairy a$$, for pulling me over so some Peckerhead can try and make me take a survey!

And I've gotten the thing in the mail at least two times that says something to the effect, "Your car was recorded traveling on I-75 between such and such exits, in such and such county, on this date at 10:22AM, and we would like you to complete this survey and return it to....."  Yeh return it to my shredder!

I caved in and got SunPass, too, and I'm sure one of these days, I'll get a survey from that, as it tracks me across the state.  

You're right Osprey (one of my favorite birds) they're all Fagging Bastages!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All you whiners pay your income tax every year, shit, that is voluntary also (just read the form)...

You bitch about a little inconvience?
View Quote

Hey hielo,didn't you buy stocks yesterday?  Guess you won't need to file for income tax next April, will you? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I happily pay as little tax as I can get away with, which keeps three seperate accounting firms quite happy to help me do.

It is the voluntary thing I was trying to hammer home.

Not very voluntary when they can kill you for non-compliance.

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#13]
This is a valuable service.  They want to justify putting a high speed train in, so they need to get some numbers to cook.  "Next stop, Auschwitz.  Everybody off.  Showers to your left."
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did anyone tell them to "go to hell"?  

What happened?  

They can flag you down into a rest area, but can they keep you there, and if you drive off is there anything they can do about it?  If you aren't breaking any traffic laws they can't keep you especially if they are off duty working for a marketing co. And no one can make you answer any questions, so why not tell how pissed you are and drive off?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, (it happens frequently)
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. The officer is off duty. I think I'd risk it and drive away.  Fuck em[:(!]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if the police noticed an illegal object on the front or back seat and you were arrested, whether or not it would pass "probable cause"? Or would they have to let you go and radio someone down the road?

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Actually I'd sue em in this sue happy country for wasting my time and damn near causing me a heart attack thinking I did something wrong when I never do blah blah, etc...  But I'd really just keep on going, why stop?  How many criminals are going to try this to make some money?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wonder if the police noticed an illegal object on the front or back seat and you were arrested, whether or not it would pass "probable cause"? Or would they have to let you go and radio someone down the road?
View Quote

Who knows? Life is full of risks.

Heres a quote by Theodore Roosevelt. It is one of the things I use to help guide me.

"Far better it is
to dare mighty things,
to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure,than
to rank with those poor spirits
who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,
because they live in that grey twilight,
that knows neither victory nor defeat"
                 -Theodore Roosevelt

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#21]
-----
thebeekeeper1

If an LEO "noticed an object" then, yes, it would constitute PC, and you would be subject to arrest, then and there. Their "magic powers" do not leave them when off duty. The moral of the story is to keep your "objects" out of sight.
-----

But they didn't have PC to originally pull you over. It reminds me of something they did here in NY. If a LEO saw you make a full stop at a stop sign or using your turn signal, they would pull you over. They would then inform you that you were being stopped for being a GOOD driver, and give you movie tickets. I don't think anyone was arrested for "finding" an illegal object in the car. Just seems like another way to search without cause.

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Jesus, you guys need to all move to my community where I am a cop, we don't believe in treating people this way. We work on the ethic that most people want to go about their lives without the police hovering over them. If you need us, we are there, but no one is going to stop you for any survey. And if we did, yes, tell us to go take a flying leap...

If an officer initiates a stop for say, no visible license plate, then as he approaches your car, sees that the plate is actually there, he just didn't see it before, the stop (or what we call the "core transaction") is over. There is no valid or legal reason to keep this person stopped, or go on to find out that the person has drugs, dead body in the trunk, whatever. The officer can only make contact with the driver and say "I'm sorry, I didn't see your license plate at first, but there it is, so you have a safe night-goodbye".
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Jesus, you guys need to all move to my community where I am a cop, we don't believe in treating people this way. We work on the ethic that most people want to go about their lives without the police hovering over them. If you need us, we are there, but no one is going to stop you for any survey. And if we did, yes, tell us to go take a flying leap...

If an officer initiates a stop for say, no visible license plate, then as he approaches your car, sees that the plate is actually there, he just didn't see it before, the stop (or what we call the "core transaction") is over. There is no valid or legal reason to keep this person stopped, or go on to find out that the person has drugs, dead body in the trunk, whatever. The officer can only make contact with the driver and say "I'm sorry, I didn't see your license plate at first, but there it is, so you have a safe night-goodbye".
View Quote

Sounds like I'd like your community[:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like I'd like your community[:D]
View Quote

Like a breath of fresh air...
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
May the fools who voted for this farce get whats coming to them.

I can't wait until the "Statzi" starts appropriating private land for the Choo-Choo.

View Quote

And thus, the reemergence of the James' Gang.[sniper]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I read the article.  All of it.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

I can see it now....  

"PRF"

I was born there.  Lived there.  Traveled up I95 to my people in NC.  Blew through the "Drug Check Ahead" signs...

I left.

And here I am.

Far away from the BULL$HIT.

just my .02
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#30]
The whole concept is silly,  but I have a question for you guys.

The State is about to dump Millions of dollars, tear up the landscape,  probably screw with traffic for years, all for a goofball rapid transit system dreamed up by some idiot granola politician.

Then they want to ask you what you think,  AND YOU DON"T WANT TO TELL THEM?????

Heck.  I'm going to park the car, pack a lunch and give that guy an opinion until his ears fall off, and then I'm going down the line to the next guy.

Sure, it's an inconvience.  Sure,  maybe some doper will be so stupid as to have used needles and coke spoons on the dash.

BUT!  They're giving you a chance to shoot this whole thing down, and you're not taking it.  The time to bitch is now,  not when they've got the thing 50% completed.

We had the rapid transit thing pushed on us in Austin. The projected cost was 8,000$ PER FOOT!

Public meetings out the wazoo.  No one came but the special interest groups that wanted it.

It'll probably start phase one next year, 7 miles of commuter railroad, traveling at the blistering speed of 20mph, that starts and stops in places no one wants to go, construction of which is going to make a nightmare of downtown traffic for at least the six years the plan says is needed.

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

BUT!  They're giving you a chance to shoot this whole thing down, and you're not taking it.  The time to bitch is now,  not when they've got the thing 50% completed.

View Quote

the issue is not that people don't care about the project, it is that people HATE having gun toting rambo wannabe fucking assholes telling them (while fingering their guns) that they MUST give an opinion. why don't they hold public forums and advertise them?

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not just put it up for vote? (Only taxpayers allowed to vote)

Sure, it's an inconvience.  Sure,  maybe some doper will be so stupid as to have used needles and coke spoons on the dash.
View Quote

[imbroglio
If you're not doing anything illegal, you have nothing to fear.
[/imbroglio]

Btw, dope is neither applied with needles nor spoons. Dope=cookies, smokes, heroin=needles, coke=credit card and $20-bill.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Off-duty troopers, hired at $30 an hour, picked motorists at random...
View Quote

Well, we see why the cops love doing this.  $30 per hour!  And, the public is paying for it.

dc306, that was the best post I've read in a while.  Too bad I've never met an officer like you in person.z
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
-----
thebeekeeper1

If an LEO "noticed an object" then, yes, it would constitute PC, and you would be subject to arrest, then and there. Their "magic powers" do not leave them when off duty. The moral of the story is to keep your "objects" out of sight.
-----

But they didn't have PC to originally pull you over. It reminds me of something they did here in NY. If a LEO saw you make a full stop at a stop sign or using your turn signal, they would pull you over. They would then inform you that you were being stopped for being a GOOD driver, and give you movie tickets. I don't think anyone was arrested for "finding" an illegal object in the car. Just seems like another way to search without cause.

View Quote

PC not needed for pullover, only reasonable suspicion.  Keep your shit hidden because if the cop can see it from the outside it is in plain view and therefore an exception to the PC rule.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#36]
I was driving on I-90 here in Washington State a few years ago when I saw signs saying "All passenger vehicles exit for traffic survey ahead". I immeadiatly thought of my 4th Amendment rights. Then I realized my pickup truck is licensed as a commercial vehicle (the state takes more money from gross weight fees, but I can park in truck loading zones) not a passenger vehicle. Therefore I didn't have to stop. I drove right by through my loophole. The State Police didn't chase me or the people who drove by in passenger vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The State is about to dump Millions of dollars, tear up the landscape,  probably screw with traffic for years, all for a goofball rapid transit system dreamed up by some idiot granola politician.

Heck.  I'm going to park the car, pack a lunch and give that guy an opinion until his ears fall off, and then I'm going down the line to the next guy.

We had the rapid transit thing pushed on us in Austin. The projected cost was 8,000$ PER FOOT!

Public meetings out the wazoo.  No one came but the special interest groups that wanted it.

It'll probably start phase one next year, 7 miles of commuter railroad, traveling at the blistering speed of 20mph, that starts and stops in places no one wants to go, construction of which is going to make a nightmare of downtown traffic for at least the six years the plan says is needed.

View Quote

JIA... say after me "It's All About Money".  

Just like the War On Drugs et al, "It's All About Money".
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I read this article this morning but didn't have time to post. I remember the quote about it being within their right as LEOs to stop people for information. I also remember a Constitutional amendment regarding the right to unimpeded travel. There's no valid enforcement concern to detain people for this chicanery. If it happened to me, I would explain to them that there will not be any funds for rail by the time I am done suing the state for civil rights violations.

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#40]
So what would they do if you didn't pull over?  Can they make the stop manditory? Give you a ticket?  Stop you and walk up to the passenger side of your car and shoot you in the face?  I say survey this[moon]!!need a drink...[50]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#41]
That's all but a tiny sample of all the crap that's happening here in FL.  The list could go on and on, but no use bitching.  But, it's going downhill fast.  All the yupp types coming in, and the old hens on the east coast, all we need is a democreep in Tallahassee.  Might as well go to California after all!  At least one has a known quantity, instead of watching the slow steamroller.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#42]
As soon as you see it's not a legit stop, blow the horn until they leave you alone.

Then give them the finger as you leave.(Protected free speech)

Assholes!

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#43]
[size=4]Your Papers. Your Papers, They are not in order!![/size=4]
[image]http://home.flash.net/%7Edhunt/ck8mb/dcolonel.jpg[/image]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Surely this has to be one of the most gross misuses of government resources I have ever heard of.  

$30/hour to off-duty State Troopers to PULL YOU OVER just for a freaking survey!  The economic inefficiency is bad enough without the bad will that it creates with the public.  What are these people thinking?  LOL!  

Hold a freaking town meating.  Publish the proposal and ask for comments. That's typically how it's done.  

First, tell them the rail line is a bad idea.  Then, get their badge numbers and names.  Call their supervisors and express your displeasure.  

Call and write your state senators and express your displeasure.  Make everyone aware that the Polezei are for hunting down criminals, NOT for taking freaking surveys at gunpoint!  

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hate to say this but the Light Rail in Portland is a wonderful thing. Sure the construction part is a pain, but in the end the rewards are worthwhile. For example you can take a $25 cab ride from downtown to the airport or a $1.55 train ride. It's a shame more cities aren't able to implement a decent public transportation system. Just some constructive thoughts. But the roadside surveys aren't perhaps the most efficient polling method... Now where's my bowl of granola?...
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is a valuable service.  They want to justify putting a high speed train in, so they need to get some numbers to cook.  "Next stop, Auschwitz.  Everybody off.  Showers to your left."
View Quote

Just about fell off the couch laughing, until I realized that it's wasn't funny.

Ok, it was funny, in a well-perverted way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top