Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2012 5:57:05 PM EDT
I remember days where the government bought excess cheese and gave it away to the poor.  It came in big square "logs" IIRC.

Does anyone know if it still exists?

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#1]
YES

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If by cheese, you mean cell phones, then yes it still exists

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
giving people food was insulting.
now we give them cash and let them buy cheese whatever the fuck they want
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
My family was POOR when I was a kid. I'm very familiar with that stuff. I don't know if it's still around, though. I also remember the cans of beef, pork and chicken.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  I was helping a friend of mine clean a foreclosed home (his business) and the fridge was still stocked.    We made tht block disappear by the end of the nrxt day.  It was some good shit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Plastic cheese card. "EBT"
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes.  I was helping a friend of mine clean a foreclosed home (his business) and the fridge was still stocked.    We made tht block disappear by the end of the nrxt day.  It was some good shit.

Was that in the past few years?  I recall the blocks of cheese being pretty big.

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#9]
song to go with the thread.

GR
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]
WIC..............still has milk, bread and cheese (among other basics).

Aloha, Mark

PS..........I can remember that long ago, there was a family that shared thier GOVT CHEESE with my family.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I loved that stuff.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Stuff was pretty good actually.  They used to pass it out at the senior citizens center a nice old lady friend of my mom's made me a hamburger with it on top.  was damn good and she sent some home with me.  Was even better on venison burgers.  Paired very well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I loved that shit as a kid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I sure wish I could get some.  That stuff was awesome.  Growing up my dad had a beer joint...beer may or may not have been traded for gov. cheese.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was that in the past few years?  I recall the blocks of cheese being pretty big.

It was the size of a big block of velvetta.  4X4 and about 10 inches long.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#17]
It was good stuff, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#18]
i remember in the neighborhood i grew up in in houston in the late 70's/early 80's, an 18 wheeler would pull into the parking lot of the grocery store and they would hand out the blocks of cheese to people.  man, that stuff was GOOD!!!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I bet you shit quickcrete too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Ronnie cheese!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#21]
It still exists by the TON, literally.
IIRC there is an underground storage facility with millions of pounds of the stuff.

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#22]
was it well made, best ingredients, type cheese or what? it sounds almost special from the reviews here. can i get something equally tasty today?  i'm curious.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
was it well made, best ingredients, type cheese or what? it sounds almost special from the reviews here. can i get something equally tasty today?  i'm curious. [img]

It tastes like Velveeta and gasoline
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was the size of a big block of velvetta.  4X4 and about 10 inches long.

Yeah - that sounds about right.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It was good stuff, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I would too.

My room mate in college always got care packages from home with a block or two included.

The best homemade mac and cheese evah.

Now the grape juice in the can was horrible.

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
was it well made, best ingredients, type cheese or what? it sounds almost special from the reviews here. can i get something equally tasty today?  i'm curious.

From what I recall, it tasted a lot like velveeta. Consistency was similar as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My family was POOR when I was a kid. I'm very familiar with that stuff. I don't know if it's still around, though. I also remember the cans of beef, pork and chicken.

That stuff is still around.  I've used it, on occasion, when stuff was tight.  

((eta)) they'd make a mint selling some of that stuff...the canned meats and cheese kicked ass over most of the store bought crap...used to trade folks for it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I recall, it tasted a lot like velveeta. Consistency was similar as well.

I still contend that Velveeta makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches for inducing nostalgia. We never had .gov cheese, but we sure had the Big V!
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ours wasn't anything like velveeta.  Compared to our good gov. cheese velveeta would be dog crap.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#31]
You can buy it in the grocery store, but it's labeled as Kraft brand American cheese. Our local Kroger carries it and it's very close to the government cheese taste/texture. I use it to make hash brown casserole quite frequently.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I loved that stuff.

That was the Finest Cheese and Butter ever made in the History of Mankind!! (i'm serious) !!

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ours wasn't anything like velveeta.  Compared to our good gov. cheese velveeta would be dog crap.

+1 !!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#34]
My grandparents used to get it back in the early 80s.  They had an air conditioner but never ran it.  She used to slice it up and let it set out in that hot kitchen until it got to room temp.  Room temp gubment cheese + saltines = food of the gods!
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I remember days where the government bought excess cheese and gave it away to the poor.  It came in big square "logs" IIRC.

I (my family as a child, 25 years ago) got a block of government cheese for Christmas one year from my great aunt. She was dirt poor and that was all she had, like most of my family she didn't have much but shared what she had. She died two weeks ago on her 80th birthday, may God rest her soul.

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You can buy it in the grocery store, but it's labeled as Kraft brand American cheese. Our local Kroger carries it and it's very close to the government cheese taste/texture. I use it to make hash brown casserole quite frequently.

govt cheese was cheddar, not american

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I see theres a bunch of fellow welfare rats up in this mother! I loved that cheese but the pork in a can, let me just say, I would fight a honey badger for some of that right now!

Later I learned that you could make a candle that would burn for a week out of a block of that cheese. And the aroma was to die for.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

was it well made, best ingredients, type cheese or what? it sounds almost special from the reviews here. can i get something equally tasty today? i'm curious. [url=http://
]

It tastes like Velveeta and gasoline

Shut your whore mouth. It was awsome!

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

was it well made, best ingredients, type cheese or what? it sounds almost special from the reviews here. can i get something equally tasty today? i'm curious.

Ours wasn't anything like velveeta. Compared to our good gov. cheese velveeta would be dog crap.

Absofuckinglutley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

govt cheese was cheddar, not american

Fail.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#42]
This guy at work exploits welfare in many ways. He gets these massive blocks of slices from somewhere that's gov cheese.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#43]
The best cheese I've found since is the Kraft Deli Deluxe American Slices that are not individually wrapped.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Hate to admit it ... I grew up also on govment' cheese ... Hell I can remember fixin' hamburger with govment' rice with soy sauce & thought I was livin' large ....
Yep... Sure bring back memories of being on the dole when we needed it growing up !
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Back in the 80s, my brother worked maintenance at an apartment complex. And there was a pastor from a nearby congregation who used to drop tons of the stuff of to distribute amongst the workers. Apparently everyone in his parish was either sick of eating it or had gained so much weight that they had to abstain. If i recall correctly the cheese came in three kinds; velvet, cheddar and american. The dimensions were equivalent to a slice of american cheese by about a foot long. The american cheese came pre-sliced and the quality of the cheddar was equivalent to cracker barrel.

Made a killer batch of potatoes au-gratin for Thanksgiving that year.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Man got it once growing up... Lasted all summer, ate it on everything.
Those horrible tony's frozen pizzas and krap cheese dinner things, the gubernment cheeze was the only thing that made them worth eatingg.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

W.I.C.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I used to buy that cheese from the ghetto goblins back in the 80s...
Cheese, potato flakes, powdered milk. It was all good. And cheap.
The distribution point was right down the street from our shop.
5 minutes off the truck and Ajax was selling it ...
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Had a friend that grew up on all that stuff. He thought milk in a jug that you didnt have to add water to was fuckin witchcraft.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top