Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2002 6:24:53 PM EDT
I could use any information on this handgun, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
MAGZ,my friend...can I call you my friend?....do you spell GUNZ that way too?[;)]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
ROTH-STEYR
Country Of Origin: Austria-Hungary
Designation: Pistol
Cartridge: 8 mm Roth-Steyr
Production Date: 1907-1942

Weapon Dimensions:  
Length: 233 mm
Barrel: 131 mm
Weight: 1030 g
Rifling: 4 grooves, rh
Capacity: 10 rounds

The M1907 was the military model of the similar 1905 commercial pistol (rare) by Roth. This is the first auto pistol put into service by a major military power.
The pistol was made at both Steyr and at (about 30%) Budapest. The pistols will be marked either FEGYVERGYAR BUDAPEST or STEYR along the top of the barrel.

Typically they will be marked Wn--year to indicate the year of military acceptance.

There are some variations in the earliest M1907's made at Steyr to include lack of the cartridge eject button.

About 50,000 pistols total were made. They were carried in small numbers during WWII, probably by Austrians in the Wehrmacht.

[img]http://www.alltel.net/~randyric/photo/pm1907.jpg[/img]

Clip-fed!

[img]http://www.alltel.net/~randyric/photo/cpm1907.jpg[/img]

Anything else you need to know? :)
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The Roth-Steyer (8mm Repetierpistole M07) was the first automatic pistol adopted for general issue by the army of a major power, issued to the Austro-Hungarian cavalry in 1908. It was later widely issued to their Flying Corps and unofficially called the 'Flieger-Pistole.'

It is the only weapon ever chambered for the 8mm Repetierpistole-patrone M07 cartrige, so finding ammo could be a serious problem! The 10 round magazine is integral with the butt, and loaded with a charger. The firing action is similar to Glocks in that it is striker fired, with initial pressure on the trigger draws the striker to the fully cocked position, then releases it. The trigger is not double action, and does not have re-strike capability, a misfire requires cocking the weapon again.

The pistol is approximately 9" long, with a 5" barrel and weighs about 2 1/4 lbs. It fires a .356" 116gr projectile at a MV of 1090fps.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
About 25 years ago, I read an article on these and recall they made brass for it by shortening .30 Carbine cases....  Hmmmm....
(gets up, goes to file cabinet... rummage, rummage, rummage, "Ah, here it is, Guns and ammo, August 1974"... 28 years ago next month!  Mom always said I was a storehouse of useless information!! [:D])

"The Roth-Steyr had a trigger pull of 11 to 12 pounds...  Parts marked with K are made by Waffenfabrik Steyr, and those by Fegyvargyar Budapest are marked with R.  A pistol made with parts stamped with both codes was probably made up from spare parts.  Most parts were rust blued, while the slide was left in the white and polished.  The trigger had a grey hardened appearance. (He notes that some  pistols may have been phosphated (parkerized) for issue by the Germans in WWII.) Under the cocking piece there will be a coded stamping for the government acceptance; "w-n" signifies Vienna, followed by the 2-headed Austro-Hungarian Eagle and year of acceptance.  On the right grip is a 3/4-inch disc which gives the regimental history of this pistol including its number in that military organizations.  Most R-S's examined have had these ID discs blank, meaning they were not permanently issued to an organization. Barrel bushing has the last two digits of the  serial number.  The barrel, while having no SN, has on its rear locking lug, the letter "o" -- this stands for "oben", literally, this side up when reassembling. The slide has the last two digits on its main spring lug.  The left grip assembly has the entire serial number on the inside of this fitted part.  The magazine assy. (internal, not the clip charger) has the last 3 digits of the SN at its bottom.  The R-S has a very simple takedown system which requires no tools for a full field stripping. "

Unfortunately, he doesn't give details of how to field strip it.  They do state ammo can be made from cut-down M1 Carbine ammo but don't give the info on whether inside neck reaming or any other special steps are needed.

I remembered this article because I always lusted after one of them, for some strange reason...
Hope this helps,
John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top