Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2002 5:47:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]

I think it teaches the dog that certain actions are play. Some unfortunate may make a move that the dog considers to be play and then makes a move against the person that may be, uh, misinterpreted.

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
or you could desensitize her to attacking people so that when she really has to defend the place, the bg just says "ow" and she quits

speculation
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Different animal (cat) but same thing. Tears my hands to shreds. Better than developing some obsessive compulsive behavior like tearing it's fur out or something. And it's fun for the whole family! I guess you could just buy it some toys.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I pretty much reserve true agression commands for my rottie to just those moments that I want him to respond to for a reason.

He's not formally trained, but I have him to a point where he is extremely obedient. When I tel him "Go get'em!" he does exactly that. Whether it's a person or another dog, he's solid with that command.

We play tug-o-war and wrestle around, but there's always a clear distinction between our playing and when it's time to "Go get'em!" Without me saying that, he's great with people and other animals as long as they don't start with him.

He also will stop on a dime no matter what he's doing, and that's essential given his abilities. Great dog, great protector, great friend.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Uh...

My American Pit Bull Terrier and I play/wrestle together... it is our own version of "The Crocodile Hunter". I even talk to him (during play) with my best Steve Irwin impersonation (and I must say, it's pretty good).

You have to be extra careful when you encounter my Beagle, because she is... um... venomous, like a Cobra.

Hmmm...

Maybe I shouldn't be telling you guys this...
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem with rough housing with your dog, and playing tug of war, is that it gives your dog a chance to be dominate over you. Not a good thing. Your Alpha. He's subordinate- always. The dog wants to know his pecking order. Don't give him the idea he can "test" your status in the "pack".
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
As for "teaching the dog to be vicious" - that's nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

The other arguments have merit, but not this one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Best bumper sticker I ever saw:

If you think you're important, try ordering someone else's dog around!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#10]
This is why I like ferrets :).

They rough-house all the time, they love it, but the separation between "combat mode" and "play mode" is absolutely clear.  And if they're playing with another animal that goes too far, cat or dog or whatever, they have a totally in-control "warning nip mode" that delivers pain but no damage, and then they stare at the offender...and the threat is REAL obvious.  Full combat mode is something I only saw once, when one got attacked by a much bigger dog...and wow did that dog get screwed up. A berzerk weasel clinging to your neck by the teeth while ripping with all four sets of claws is one hell of an equalizer.

That's why they were so friendly with strangers, critters, whatever.  No fear.  They may have been small, but "unarmed"...not hardly.

Smart little boogers.  Used a litterbox.  No dominance struggles, then again Mikey the bigger one was all of 3 pounds :).

They also have a really warped sense of what "play" is.  They love to be flung through the air bouncing on a sheet held at all four corners :). They do this happy wiggle as they get up near the ceiling.  And yes, I really mean they like it - my brother and I could grab a sheet, lay it on the rug while we held the corners, and the guys would just come scrambling over and race each other to the middle of the sheet.  They knew we'd only do one at a time, they each wanted to go first!

God I miss the skinnykitties :(.  Stolen in '97.  Sigh.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The problem with rough housing with your dog, and playing tug of war, is that it gives your dog a chance to be dominate over you. Not a good thing. Your Alpha. He's subordinate- always. The dog wants to know his pecking order. Don't give him the idea he can "test" your status in the "pack".
View Quote

Speaking for my dog, and the way we play, he's definately smart enough to make the distinction.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine too! We play rough some times, but he never gets to dominate. He also learned at a very early age that I am the only one he gets to play rough with. He's gentle as can be around everyone else that has "friend" status, and I don't really want him to be too gentle with strangers.

The only thing about my dog is he hates anyone in a uniform or a business suit. I don't know why, but he really goes into a very scary sounding bark when the meter reader guy comes around.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#13]
JimMarch

I'm in NY and have two ferrets. Love 'em. I thought ferrets were illegal in CA. Or maybe they were only talking about "Assault Ferrets". :)
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Ummm...well...yup, they're illegal.

:)

I snuck 'em back on a gambler's special tour bus from Reno :).  The only "gamble" I placed was that the driver wouldn't notice a couple of baby weasels :).
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ahem, aren't they slightly illegal in Kalifornia?

View Quote

why is this factoid not surprising
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#17]
During 2000, the Petco pet supply chain sold $1.2mil in ferret-related supplies of all types, in NORTHERN California alone [:)].

The situation is exactly the same as "head shops" that sell bongs and funny pipes [8P].

The whole thing is a bad joke.  My vet had another customer who made a habit of taking his ferts in for their yearly shots in his CHP uniform, in his patrol car.

Hey wardens: [moon]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#18]
True story

I had a great dog and we would play. I would run and he would catch me or he would run and I would catch him.

Door to Door sales maggot come thru locked fence with beware of dog sign and then knocks on screen door with beware of dog sign. No answer I was in the shower, he opened the screen door (house door already open due to nice fall day)to put his handout bullshit in my house.

My two dog are laying in the front of the door ,he cant see them dark inside and black dogs are to see.

They both go out the front door when he opens it.

He starts to shout and kick the dog and spin in circles. Dog thinks PLAY so the male grabs him ever so gently by the arm and the guy will not fall to the ground like I do when I am caught.
Instead he rips his arm out of the dogs mouth and cuts a artery. Then he fell down kicking and screaming while the dogs were kissing his face.

He sued me for $250,000.00 dollars said he could work anymore to afraid to leave the house.

My insurance company told them to stuff it.

When to court and a jury gave him $850.00 for the emergency room and the foreman said they only did that because he was sooo stupid in court.

So if you play with your dog he may play with somebody else and they may cause themselves some harm.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They rough-house all the time, they love it, but the separation between "combat mode" and "play mode" is absolutely clear.  And if they're playing with another animal that goes too far, cat or dog or whatever, they have a totally in-control "warning nip mode" that delivers pain but no damage, and then they stare at the offender...and the threat is REAL obvious.  Full combat mode is something I only saw once, when one got attacked by a much bigger dog...and wow did that dog get screwed up. A berzerk weasel clinging to your neck by the teeth while ripping with all four sets of claws is one hell of an equalizer.

That's why they were so friendly with strangers, critters, whatever.  No fear.  They may have been small, but "unarmed"...not hardly.

Smart little boogers.  Used a litterbox.  No dominance struggles, then again Mikey the bigger one was all of 3 pounds :).

They also have a really warped sense of what "play" is.  They love to be flung through the air bouncing on a sheet held at all four corners :). They do this happy wiggle as they get up near the ceiling.  And yes, I really mean they like it - my brother and I could grab a sheet, lay it on the rug while we held the corners, and the guys would just come scrambling over and race each other to the middle of the sheet.  They knew we'd only do one at a time, they each wanted to go first!

God I miss the skinnykitties :(.  Stolen in '97.  Sigh.
View Quote

I like ferrets too, but I've never met one that wasn't dumber than a sack of hair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top