Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2002 4:28:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't substance abuse a question on the form you fill out to purchase a firearm?  It's a hard position to be in.  On one hand, you don't want to be the snitch or anything resembling one, on the other you don't want this guy getting himself or someone else hurt.  He's already showing bad judgement, but I'd tell your co-worker to give him the low-down on the law.  If he fails to deal with it, he needs to be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Was the DUI a felony conviction?  If so, he's hosed -- a felon can't own any firearms.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:45:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The same federal law (GCA of 68) that bars felons from owing weapons also bars drug addicts/alcoholics and the insane. If he is in a court-ordered treatment program, that would probably be enough. Of course, it is rarely prosecuted. It is probably a violation of his probation and/or his pretrial release agreement (pretty standard in most states) for him to have a weapon, and it sounds like his judgement is a little off. As a law enforcement type, I would suggest talking to him first (if you feel that wouldn't endanger your safety) before dropping a line to his PO or the court. In my limited experience, a good potion of probation/parole violations are generated by concerned or fed up relatives.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#5]
First of all, this is the kind of thing you want to avoid discussing on the company computer.  You have no privacy rights when you do, unfortunately, and they might be OK with the use AND the topic, or NOT.

Hmmm, young Darth an interest in FIREARMS, has he?

Leah, her family, disfunctional is!!!

Now that that's out of the way,

It would be interesting to know why he bought it and possibly carries it around in his truck.

My wild-ass guess is- for defensive reasons and he couldn't buy a handgun.  Not legally, anyway.

Maybe he would be open to someone expressing an interest in his fine firearm for skeet / hunting giving him a legal offer (assuming its not "hot").....and from the sounds of things, maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea for him to have the purchaser's address (just being careful here) to let slip in the hearing of some less desirable people.

Meanwhile, if he (hopefully) has a true interest in firearms /shooting / hunting / keeping his 2nd Amendment rights,  maybe he could use a conversation about the law and how his substance use could make it tough down the road to own a firearm, even if he eventually cleans up.  Also in a friendly way letting him know that the WA laws prohibit the dangerous act of carrying a loaded weapon around (assuming thats the case), even if it's not concealable, and that doing so threatens his 2nd A rights down the road.  And even before that, it's dangerous  - what if he had it bouncing around in the back or he gave a ride to someone and there was a negligent discharge?

I hope he actually decides on his own that he doesn't need one for now, rather than having it taken away somehow.

Let's hope he doesn't have it cause he's in some shit with somebody and expects to have to use it someday to save his butt.

The DUI and alcohol counseling thing is a tough one.  Sometimes the way they "help" has implications for other areas of the clients life, and this is an example.  I hate to seem people losing their right to own firearms, and the counselors can see that as irrelevant to (or even a good thing if we can have 'one less gun') their main job - dealing with the substance isssue.

On the other hand, realistically, there ARE people who just aren't responsible enough to have a firearm.

Not knowing him personally, how can we assess the depth of his alcohol situation?  So he got a DUI at 19.  It could have happened to many of us, no?  Not that's GOOD, but was it part of a pattern, a single stupid mistake, or what?  It's bad to be driving around endangering everyone, including yourself.

Get a reading on your co-worker - true concern, busybody, or what?

Yes, this is a tough one, alright.  It doesn't sound promising, at least at this point.

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I've just read a bunch of B.S. and misconceptions here.  A lot of this varies from state to state.  D.H., have your friend consult an attorney familiar with firearms law in your state.  It's the only way to know the truth.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Why don't you (or we) just chip in and buy the gun off the thug?  This way, you can add to your collection and get the gun out of the hands of a miscreant.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top