Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2002 3:17:51 PM EDT
Yeah, baby!

I finished my PPO (personal protection officer) qualification [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=134148]course[/url] today, and got my certificates. As part of the graduation ceremony, we got sprayed with OC spray, which sucked. The Texas Commission on Private Security mandates that you have to be exposed to it to be certified as a PPO, so they saved it until the end. It sucked, but wasn't entirely unmanageable.

I might already have a hook up for some part time EP work. We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool-- so how do you find work? Is there a standard pay scale or does it depend on the individual?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cool-- so how do you find work? Is there a standard pay scale or does it depend on the individual?
View Quote

You find work through word of mouth. Pay depends on your experience, training and how good a fit you are for their needs, as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you been here, to the Tactical Forums Executive Protection and Bodyguard Forum yet?  Might be some good contacts among those people, though they seem to be *very* serious about what they do...

[url]http://64.177.53.248/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Executive+Protection+and+Bodyguard+Forum&number=51&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin=[/url]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck in your new endevor. Sounds like a cool job! [:)]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
DScott: Thanks, yes, I have checked out that forum quite a bit, and there is a lot of information over there that is pure gold. I have actually been carrying on email correspondence with one of the regular members of that forum who is an experienced EP professional, and he has given me a lot of great advice.

I'm going to need more training and an outlay of a chunk of money for equipment and things before I'm seriously employable in the field in a permanent position, but I'm working on that. In the meantime, I have to get my MMPI psych test for the Texas state requirements and then I have a hook up who might be willing to submit my paperwork so I can get my actual PPO card. Then I can work some short-term gigs to get some experience and work up from there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Janet Reno may be hiring??? Just a thought ...fullclip
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Great!  

Good luck... who knows, you may actually end up doing something you really love!

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#10]
osprey21, out-a-ammo: thanks a lot.

ilikelegs: I don't think Worldcom is spending much for anything these days, especially having just filed for Chapter 11.

fullclip: I lost my job, not my marbles! [whacko]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Needless to say - best of luck.

What kind of equipment are you required to purchase, JH22?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Needless to say - best of luck.
View Quote

Thanks, brother.

What kind of equipment are you required to purchase, JH22?
View Quote

I'll need some more suits, shirts, etc. Body armor, holster, ASP baton and holster for that, a nationwide pager and a pair of very, very cool sunglasses.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#13]
EP= Executive Protection  ie. Professional Bullet Catcher!?!

Dude, schools are hiring all across this fine state.  Teaching may not pay the best, but it beats eating a bullet for a VIP.

TheRedGoat

PS.  Are you game for me coming in to town sometime this week?  Maybe Thursday evening?  Hit the town, get some dinner, etc?  

I need to pick up two nieces early Friday morning in the Mansfield and Arlington areas.  I thought I could stay over at my brother in law's thursday night, and save the early rise on Friday with the associated traffic problems.

Game for a little male bonding?  I know a place that has trashy drinks and cheap wimmenz.  or vice versa.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
EP= Executive Protection  ie. Professional Bullet Catcher!?!

Dude, schools are hiring all across this fine state.  Teaching may not pay the best, but it beats eating a bullet for a VIP.

TheRedGoat
View Quote

Dude, my resume isn't exactly teacher material.

PS.  Are you game for me coming in to town sometime this week?  Maybe Thursday evening?  Hit the town, get some dinner, etc?  

I need to pick up two nieces early Friday morning in the Mansfield and Arlington areas.  I thought I could stay over at my brother in law's thursday night, and save the early rise on Friday with the associated traffic problems.

Game for a little male bonding?  I know a place that has trashy drinks and cheap wimmenz.  or vice versa.
View Quote

I'm your man. Do you have my mobile number for voice comm?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Dude, my resume isn't exactly teacher material.
View Quote

Do you have a pulse?  Good!  You're qualified!

I'm your man. Do you have my mobile number for voice comm?
View Quote

email it to me, just in case.  I am going to find a couple of other guys to see if they want to get together as well.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey!, Hey!, Hey!...  Whazzis about coming our way??

I got yer Mag-O-Zine over here.

Like you gotta pass thru Rockwall ya' know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I only bring that up since the company and others like them
(Enron) Would have a lot of pissed off employee's.
Know what I mean ?
View Quote

I know what you mean. It's just that work in this field seems to be all about who you know and who you've worked for before. I'm sure a big company like Enron or Worldcom has some security assets in-house, and have their go-to folks that they call when they need an EP detail.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You busy Thursday evening?  Wanna meet up with the international Man-O-Mystery-Meat and myself?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do you have a pulse?  Good!  You're qualified!
View Quote

Scary thought.

email it to me, just in case.  I am going to find a couple of other guys to see if they want to get together as well.
View Quote

Email sent to your listed addy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You busy Thursday evening?  Wanna meet up with the international Man-O-Mystery-Meat and myself?
View Quote

Got Grand Jury duty till 1700.  Later than that is OK.  Wanna get chow in Rockwall??  Culpepper's Cattle Co.??
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Where & when are you guys meeting?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Piker...I got more stamps in my passport than the post-office...next stop vancouver.....but I wish I could carry....congrats bro
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Energizer: No idea yet. Updates to be announced

thebeekeeper1: Thanks, brother.

hound: I'm working on it, and thanks.

raf: Thanks. I'm looking at the Safariland Zero-G. Probably IIIa.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#27]
check the Limo companies in you area, see who handles the security. My dad used to get side jobs that way. He did have a couple of driving schools to go with the security work back ground.

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
check the Limo companies in you area, see who handles the security. My dad used to get side jobs that way. He did have a couple of driving schools to go with the security work back ground.
View Quote

Good idea. I'm working on getting into Vance's protective driving course very soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top