Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2002 1:26:22 PM EDT
Enlight of the recent thread about skunks, it got me wondering if anyone here has actually been sprayed by a skunk.

What got the smell off? How long did it take?

Lets hear some stories!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Only once. I grew up rural. Grandparent's farm. Angry Italian grandmother. Galvanized wash tub. Tomato juice.

It stunk so bad that I couldn't breathe. I puked and coughed massive snot ropes out of my nose.

I could still smell it several days later, but strangely... today the smell doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want to take another double barrelled ass blast from one ever again though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
We had the drunken "great idea" to throw a live skunk into the basement of a rival frat during one of thier keg parties and of course my buddy and I both got nailed in the process of getting the critter through the basement window.  It was worth it to see several hundred people running screaming out of the place pushing and tripping over each other in a drunken frenzy but it took at least five gallons of tomatoe juice to get the smell down to a tolerable level.  
Oh, BTW this WAS almost twenty eight years ago and I would not reccomend that you kids try this one at home.  I didnt get laid for a least a week after this stunt since the scent still lingers even after the tomato juice.  LOL
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, not yet, but my stupid dog did roll in a dead porcupine this weekend. How stupid is that?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#4]
i got sprayed out pheasant hunting once

i puked too

fucking nasty

i get sick to my stomach whenever i drive over a dead one on the road to, mostly from thinking about the damn stench

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Fortunately my fight or flight has a default mode when it comes to skunks and I've managed to avoid several close calls. The ability to reach full speed and haul ass in the opposite direction before he can even look up at you comes in real handy. A hunting friend of mine says that anytime he's seen me running in the woods he knows not to ask questions he just races me outta there. Now my brother in law on the other hand says a good scrub down with lemon juice after the tomato juice bath will go a long way towards getting rid of the smell in a shorter amount of time. I guess he thought about it, "hmmm should I flee?" well by then it's too late.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I never got sprayed by one. But I did hit one in my truck. Never thought about washing it in tomato and lemon juice. I tried a carwash.... but it didn't help any. Just parked the truck for a week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#7]
i have not, but my dog has gotten sprayed twice this year while we are out running.i have not found anything that will remove the smell,it has to wear off.
the govt should develop a skunk stink bomb,the smell is really sickening right when it happens.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The old "remedies" simply mask the smell for a short time. Thanks to a chemist, a solution was derrived that actually breaks down the chemical structure.

DO NOT MIX THIS IN A GLASS CONTAINER WITH A LID OR CAP-gas may be produced and cause the glass container to explode.

Skunk Smell Remedy
As you may already know, it is very difficult to remove skunk odor from your animal. There are hundreds of over-the-counter products and folk remedies around, but few have been found to be truly effective.

Our thanks to Paul Krebaum, a chemist in Lisle, Illinois, who has come up with a formula that really works. I know because I tried it successfully on Skipper, one of our greyhounds.

Mix one quart of fresh 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, one quarter cup of baking soda, and one teaspoon of liquid detergent. Scrub in and rinse well. Your dog will come out of the tub smelling like fresh laundry right off the clothes-line.

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
TxDoc,i have tried that remedy also ,it didnt work.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I think skunks would make effective tools for riot control if they could be trained.

Dog must have gotten nailed 6 or 8 times but she still chases them.

I found some stuff at one of the chain pet stores that worked pretty well.  Don't remember name but something to do with skunk.  Making note to get some more.

The last time she did it, I was out of the commercial stuff so I ran it thru google and found some remedies but I didn't have any peroxide, and of course it was 11:30 at night.

Scrounged around the basement and found a gallon of a deodorant solution that comes from Sam's club.  Dumped it in a small sprayer, pumped it up and fine misted ol dog.  By the next morning it had done a good job of knocking the smell.  Most of the smell was coming from her face where I just daubed it on.  Sprayed her down again that basically knocked it except for the face.

Several of the sites suggested vaginal douche, buy the cheap stuff they said, due to its chemical makeup.  

The house is surrounded by fields approx. 1/4 mile from the creek but those little devils find their way to the cat food on the patio as do possums and coons.  So I'll go upstairs if I see one and nail him from the bedroom window, those new Winchester 22 mags, 34 grains??, anchor them right there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a Collie that loved to chase skunks.
She came home with a almost live skunk in her mouth, the thing must have sprayed it's entire sac onto the dog.
My dad when through 6 cans of tomato juice and I don't know how many little laundry boxes of tide.
He would wash the dog off and then chuck her into the lake and let her swim around, catch here and do it again.

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Many, many, many times---more than I wish to remember.  I never tried that tomato juice crap or any other "remedy".  The smell never bothered me.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Several years ago, camped at a site with a hollow tree....

2 yr old female Irish Setter decides (like most dogs) that 'Chasing skunks is FUN!', gets sprayed...

Tomato Juice didn't work...

What did? Vanilla. Not the fake stuff, but *real* vanilla... It was a tip from a pet-store employee, and it de-skunked that dog quite well...
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to trap them and stand upwind to shoot them, but somehow Mother Johnson ALWAYS knew when I had gotten one and I had to strip outside to get in for a bath.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Never personally sprayed. But my cat did, once.

We tried everything! I learned real fast how to give a cat bath (duct tape rocks). Shampoo, deodorant, etc. We finally and reluctantly went with tomato juice.

One word of warning... WHITE cats turn PINK with tomato juice!

Poor bastard, instant gay kitty.

Really wish I had a picture.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Nope, not yet.....But I ran like hell once.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Never sprayed but very close too many times. Closest was when one walked literally over my feet as it went across the lane as I waited for the school bus. Talk about one freaked little 5 yr old!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I got hit once, it's like a hundred times stronger than what you smell when you drive by a road kill.
I puked worse than any drunk sick I ever had.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Just once, slightly.  I was watering my cymbidiums and hadn't noticed it hiding among the pots.

Here's THE hot tip of the day on how to get rid of skunk smell or just about any other organic odor or stain:

[url]http://www.kidsnpetsbrand.com/[/url]

It's got some gnarly enzymes plus surfactants and other stuff.  The FAQ page has a testimonial about use on a skunk-soaked dog, and I believe it.  It worked on me.  It works FAST, I mean less than a minute on most things.  It makes male cat spray odor vanish almost instantly.

Supposedly similar products like Folex and Woolite carpet cleaner don't cut it.  If your local supermarket or mega-store doesn't carry the stuff, ask the manager to get some.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Got zapped in a turkey blind. Bugger didn't see me and walked right up to about four feet. Saw me and unloaded. Didn't have tomato juice so showered and rubbed down with orange slices. Worked well. Two trips throughthe washing machine fixed the clothes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top