Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
He may go Buzz Aldrin on your young ass.

I'd proceed with caution.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he's willing to choke out my 6 year old what do you think he's going to do to you?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/mailbcw/IMG_0091.jpg

OK I can't stand the guy, but that right there is pure AWESOME!

so who's the poser with the "MARINES" shirt?

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The boot camp part is the best part of the whole movie. The rest of the movie sucks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The boot camp part is the best part of the whole movie. The rest of the movie sucks.

Except for the door gunner scene.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I showed him my ( WAR FACE ) he told me to work on that
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Except for the door gunner scene.

http://youtu.be/S06nIz4scvI

True. That is one of my favorite scenes.

That guy was supposed to play the Drill Instructor originally.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Upon finding out that one of his recruits has a possibly loaded weapon with an undetermined number of rounds, instead of trying to talk Recruit Lawrence into disarming himself, I would have calmly ordered Private Joker to clear out the squad bay and get him to call the MPs and an assistant Drill Instructor to keep order.

He didn't do that and paid for it with his life. Luckily, Recruit Lawrence decided to kill himself rather than shoot 19 of his fellow recruits.

If I go to SHOT Show next year, I will ask R Lee Ermey if he chose the wrong method to diffuse that situation.

CHOKE YOURSELF!

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Upon finding out that one of his recruits has a possibly loaded weapon with an undetermined number of rounds, instead of trying to talk Recruit Lawrence into disarming himself, I would have calmly ordered Private Joker to clear out the squad bay and get him to call the MPs and an assistant Drill Instructor to keep order.

He didn't do that and paid for it with his life. Luckily, Recruit Lawrence decided to kill himself rather than shoot 19 of his fellow recruits.

If I go to SHOT Show next year, I will ask R Lee Ermey if he chose the wrong method to diffuse that situation.

I'd like to see that.  Maybe you should post on YouTube.  

John

Perhaps I will. If I don't go to SHOT, maybe another arfcomer can ask him.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!

Do you have anything protective to say? If not, you should probably stay in your lane.

BTW, WTH is a victorunit?
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you a Marine?

What does that have to do with the DI making a poor decision?
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't understand why everyone loves this film. Other than Joker and Cowboy, every other Marine is shown as a tyrant, crazy, or a scumbag. The door gunner is shooting women and children for shits and giggles. Rafterman is a weasly little fuck. The Colonel jumps down Joker's throat for a pin on his vest. Animal Mother is a psychopath. By the end Cowboy is dead and Joker is one of them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's a movie man.  There are these things called scripts that the actors follow and directors that tell them what to do.

Funny how that works.

Maybe OP thinks that the actors decide to change their lines on a whim.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Stanley Kubrick answers to no one.

Too bad, because Kubrick's films are some of the most self-indulgant, meaningless, overrated pieces of cinematic crap out there.

Yeah, choke yourself.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I always regret not asking the Gunny if I could get a picture of me choking myself when I met him a couple years back...

I know of an upcoming appearance, might be fun to ask
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't understand why everyone loves this film. Other than Joker and Cowboy, every other Marine is shown as a tyrant, crazy, or a scumbag. The door gunner is shooting women and children for shits and giggles. Rafterman is a weasly little fuck. The Colonel jumps down Joker's throat for a pin on his vest. Animal Mother is a psychopath. By the end Cowboy is dead and Joker is one of them.

The FACT is it is an anti-war movie.  An anti-military movie, in fact.  The Marines are referred to as either "phony tough" or "crazy brave".  But the thing is that the boot camp stuff, the first half of the movie, is so accurate every Marine can watch that and feel at home and reminisce about that time in their lives. A normal person watches that and thinks, "Holy shit!" Marines just think, "Ah, good times!" And even the Hue stuff, the second half, while anti-war to people predisposed to be anti-war, is a pretty good war movie.  My only complaint with the film is the scene where the DI gives Joker three minutes to talk about his atheism.  No DI gives a recruit that much time to say anything.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a book titled "The Few and the Proud," where they interviewed Ermey in one chapter.  He basically said that the scene where Pvt. Pyle kills Hartman then himself is complete and total bullshit, and in real life, there's no way in hell that a recruit would have been able to smuggle ammo away from the range.  He fought tooth and claw to get Kubrick to understand that there's no way something like that would happen, but in the end, that scene stayed.

We discovered 4 rounds taped together while field dayin the barracks at the end of the range week.  Could have been a recruit or the DI's fucking with us.  Shit happens.

While not USMC at Army Basic Training, we found a full box of 30 rounds of 5.56MM, complete with stripper clips(you know, the box that looks like a crayon box with ammo stuffed in it) in the barracks that had been left behind by someone in a previous platoon. It can be done.

ETA-we also had soldiers sneaking off post to get tattoos. How hard would it be for a soldier who wanted to kill other soldiers to sneak to walmart in the same trip and buy a box of .223 or .308? Sure, it's not the exact same round, but both will work, especially when all you want to do is kill a guy then kill yourself.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Movie scripts how do they work

+1

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
R Lee Ermey will inform the OP that, "he didn't know they stacked shit that high"

And then gouge out his eyes and skull fuck him....
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#21]
One of the things that kinda bothered me about the bootcamp segment of the film was the fact that Pyle made it, he finally made it through bootcamp and received his assignment but he went crazy over a blanket party. If I were Pyle I would have shook Hartman's hand and thanked him for manning me the fuck up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One of the things that kinda bothered me about the bootcamp segment of the film was the fact that Pyle made it, he finally made it through bootcamp and received his assignment but he went crazy over a blanket party. If I were Pyle I would have shook Hartman's hand and thanked him for manning me the fuck up.

People with mental issues don't always think like the rest of us. The blanket party could have been the last straw for someone who was about to snap anyway.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No shit a good drill instructor/ drill sergeant is not someone who is just an asshole, he or she is not someone who just yells and is a jerk, fuck that is not what those badasses are about its not what they can break.  Its what they can build.  They build soldiers and Marines they take shit and make it into gold.  They take fat fuckers like I was and make them into something the U.S can use.  They are engineers of humans they give themselves to that shit fest and create something more than themselves.  They are the very embodiment of the United States they are professional and they show that excellence in their everything.  I DON"T KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE A DRILL INSTRUCTOR/DRILL SERGEANT BUT IT MUST BE FUCKING SCARY.

THANK YOU SSG E. MAYNES and SSG D. BAEHR what you  helped me achieve was greater than anything I ever will do thank you for helping me be a soldier.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's a movie man.  There are these things called scripts that the actors follow and directors that tell them what to do.

Beat me to it, Bro.

I'll add my own comment for the OP.

IT WAS A FUCKING MOVIE!
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#25]
You may as well ask him what the inside of Jack Black's mouth tasted like, you'll get the same reaction.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top