Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/11/2012 9:04:11 PM EDT
WOW!!! I just watched it. I wasn't expecting much. Like most scifi, none of it is all that realist but damn if it's not the best kick ass patriotic scifi movie since Independence Day. Chicken burrito!!!!!!!!!!  

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 4:08:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I know it got pretty crappy reviews, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, too. Way, way better than I expected.

But then, I saw it for only $3.

It was way cool seeing the USS Missouri 'back in action'.

I was wondering if they gave parts to ACTUAL USS Missouri veterans.

I sure hope so.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it got the shaft in the review department...it was a good movie. They should have released is on Memorial day...and use that as an advertising advantage.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
That movie sucked
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:16:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That movie sucked

So far: it's 3 to 1 against you.

Just sayin'.

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I enjoyed it. Can't wait to let my son watch it, he will love it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
That movie sucked

Just sayin'.

As of this posting, 5:1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Double tap

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
That movie sucked

Just sayin'.

6-1.

I thought it was going to be transformish from looking at the trailers but it was quite good.  I will buy it when it comes out on blueray.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
7 to 1
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
That movie sucked

Just sayin'.

6-1.

I thought it was going to be transformish from looking at the trailers but it was quite good.  I will buy it when it comes out on blueray.

7-1.

I expected less, but was entertained and found the old guys made my heart swell with patriotic pride.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Compared to the Syfy channel ripoff movie starring the Iowa it is probably Oscar winning quality.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[...]

7-1.

I expected less, but was entertained and found the old guys made my heart swell with patriotic pride.  

8-1. It was pretty fantastic, for a movie based on a friggin' board game. I don't know what was hotter, Rihanna or the Missouri doing a full broadside.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile[/quote]

[qoute]
I expected less, but was entertained and found the old guys made my heart swell with patriotic pride.  [/quote]

Same here.  Expestially when the old guy lit the boiler ans said "This is going to be loud".

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll buy the DVD when it comes out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[...]

7-1.

8-1. It was pretty fantastic, for a movie based on a friggin' board game. I don't know what was hotter, Rihanna or the Missouri doing a full broadside.

Yeah, but WTF was with her and that hat???  It was amusing to see it all smooshed and crooked after some hellacious action, but God damn if it wasn't still on her head!
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#16]
10-1.

My inlaws loved it.

I haven't seen it yet.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm waiting the next blockbusters.

Chutes and Ladders and Candyland.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#18]
11-1
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#19]
It was better than I thought it would be, kept me entertained.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That movie sucked

GTFO of TX.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought there was a touch of realism (not the alien landing and suckering us into a game of "battleship") when, after witnessing his brother's death he just goes into a blood lust.  It takes his crew his crew to unfuck him in a hurry so they can survive.  I mean, if you were right next to one of your siblings and they just ceased to exist due being blown into itty bitty pieces, who wouldn't want to kill those bastards at all costs?

Anywho, who likes a power-sliding battleship?  This guy!
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
That movie sucked

Just sayin'.

6-1.

I wondered about it from the trailers. But, considering how inaccurate some trailers are, I have been waiting to give it a look.....

Link Posted: 8/31/2012 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think it got the shaft in the review department...it was a good movie. They should have released is on Memorial day...and use that as an advertising advantage.

I just saw it on bluray.  $20 at Best Buy.  I expected the worst, something like Skyline meets Pearl Harbor.

Wow.

I can't even say it defied my expectations.  The reality is that I was totally, completely, wrong.

It's a great movie.  Silly, but not stupid.

The reviews are so odd; it's like some of the reviewers were watching a different movie.  I loved the first five minutes, when the main character has his encounter with security cameras.  I've seen the video those were based on, and it's just as funny and plausible in a movie as it was in real life.

And the cast did a great job.  Taylor Kitsch starred in this and John Carter, and both were destroyed in the box office.  But I don't understand why; both were fun movies directed with more than a little intelligence, and he carried himself well in both.  None of the "pretty boy" bullshit you get from the Pearl Harbor cast or most other stars; the guy is not afraid to look like a fucking idiot, and you need that for character development.

Rihanna too.  I dismiss her as a skank whose "singing" requires at least three hours of autotuning for every minute of voice, but she's perfectly competent in this.  And the director stays away from the usual "tough girl" bullshit.  I've known women like her character.

The rest as well.  Even the scientist guy; I love his last appearance.  Especially how almost nothing is made of it, as if they left a full five minutes on the cutting room floor.  And you know what?  It works.  We saw what we needed to see, and we can figure out the rest.

I love any movie that doesn't treat me like a fucking idiot.

So two thumbs up, I'll definitely watch it again, and mea culpa; I take back every derisive comment I've made about it.

"Let's drop some lead on these motherf-"
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just saw it on bluray.  $20 at Best Buy.  I expected the worst, something like Skyline meets Pearl Harbor.

Wow.

I can't even say it defied my expectations.  The reality is that I was totally, completely, wrong.

It's a great movie.  Silly, but not stupid.

Yep, it kicked ass.  I enjoyed it a lot.

Link Posted: 8/31/2012 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I hear Kate Beckinsale will be the lead in Candyland.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#26]
11-2

I want my 2 hours back.

Rhianna looks like a teen age boy.

Sucked out loud.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Dumb as hell. A waste of two hours of my life.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:27:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I enjoyed it for what it was.  Took a little to get going though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That movie sucked

Sucked hard. If you liked that one you are retarded.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:42:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Enjoyed it. However, it was gayer than a bag of flaming penises. Too much navy.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#31]
On PPV but haven't considered watching it... have you heard that the Navy is thinking about selling the MARINES to the Army?
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:50:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That movie sucked

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Watched it on PPV last night; it was a fun, but silly movie, in a bug budget SyFy channel way.

However this guy in the cast is a serious badass;  he's still on Active Duty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_D._Gadson

http://www.belvoir.army.mil/Command_Group.asp
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Completely silly premise, and the backstory on the protagonist being a total waste of oxygen goofball that just somehow happens to be given a commission to be laughable that not even Syfy channel would write that into a script.

With that said, I actually enjoyed it. Stupid movie, but also fun, doesn't take itself too seriously, and probably one of the most blatant, in-your-face patriotic movies I've seen in a while.

I also LOL'd at the idea that a man can save the world, and yet only get awarded a Silver Star.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#35]
The hired a dyed in the wool full bird bad ass to play a bad ass part.  
The blond is smoking hot.

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#36]
AND THEN SOME, worst effects ever, worst acting ever

Quoted:

That movie sucked

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Horrible acting, no plot, seriously WTF were they thinking?  Stupid stupid movie made for 13 year olds.   Great CGI, though.

My shop foreman and I watched it.  That picture of jackie Chan  with   "my mind is so full of fuck"  is what I kept thinking of during the movie.

We knew it would be a dumb turn you brain off and watch but it was bad beyond that.

Gave it to the UPS driver - said his 14 year old son loved it but if I ever give him a movie like that again every package would be crushed when I got it.

That puts 3-1 against it here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear Kate Beckinsale will be the lead in Candyland.

I'd probably watch it.  

Anyway, it sounds like Battleship was never meant to be anything more than a fun ride.  People expect too much - sometimes the stupid movies are the best.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Great movie! Loved it on the big screen, loved it again at home on blu-ray.

Somehow this film must have offended the left?

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Took the boy to see it, we enjoyed it for what it was.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Awesome MURICA! movie.  I liked it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Is this one OK for a ten year old?  How is the language etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I had no intention of watching this, but now I'm going to give it a try.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Definitely worth watching. Liberal movie critics likely hated it b/c America survived and remained Free!
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Watched it and really enjoyed it.  Any movie with a full broadside from Mighty Moe is worth seeing just for that.  Seeing the old sailors bringing that ship to life was inspiring as well.  

Some parts were goofy but all in all, I really liked it.  I doubt a real battleship could handle a power slide like they showed in the movie but what the hell, it looked awesome.  

It's worth seeing...
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:17:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Fun movie.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#47]
When they dropped anchor and did the powerslide with Mo all I giggled and thought "surprise cockfag!"  
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Watched it on PPV last night; it was a fun, but silly movie, in a bug budget SyFy channel way.

However this guy in the cast is a serious badass;  he's still on Active Duty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_D._Gadson

http://www.belvoir.army.mil/Command_Group.asp

He would be overweight according to the new "fit reps" on account of his ginormous titanium nuts.

What a baddass.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I liked it.  

I dislike assholes that cannot "turn off their disbelief" to watch a movie.  Movies are entertainment, Documentaries are (theoretically) for information.  Given a choice between 100% realistic and Badass cool but not really realistic, choose badass, I me hell, why are going to the movies if you want to bitch about "real"
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#50]
I feel like Rihanna assaulted us with her bad acting.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top