Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2002 1:28:24 AM EDT
Who here is as crazy about widescreen TV's/projection as me. And invests about as much in it as he does in his firearm collection.

Show me pics, come on and show your rec-room.

Here are some of mine, and this one's always under construction.
[img]http://www.itccomp.nl/htwebf/eigen/BasNH/ht1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.itccomp.nl/htwebf/eigen/BasNH/ht2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.itccomp.nl/htwebf/eigen/BasNH/ht4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:06:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd think ALL here have one sort or another.What kind of towers are those Kuip? My main speakers are 25yr old klh 105's.Is that a speaker under the TV?....I'm also curious as to the amp/reciever's type you show there....any hints?... a buddy hooked my 'mputer screen display up so i can use the TV,or the LapTop, as the moniter(withwebtv)...I use the TV screen 95% of the time.So like yourself I had to get the flat widescreen...then again is that a Flat screen? the 3rd pix down looks "not so flat"...maybe its the angle.I have no means of pix.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I`m not a true audio/videophile like some. I do have a Magnavox 46 or 48" TV which I rarely use. It`s hooked up to my surround sound which is a mishmash of add ons. I even tried a powered subwoofer to the front end and blew it up! The stereo goes to another room where I usually spend my time. That room has 2 27" TVs. I kept an apt. in NYC for awhile so I had a 2nd TV which I brought here. This way I use WEBTV and regular TV at the same time. I have the satellite dish hookep up all over the house including the deck. This way I have a separate system (not true stereo because of the satellite connection but good enough) with speakers by the pool. I can either play music off the satellite or a I have separate CD player there to make my own plus a 13" TV.

A true stereo nut would probably be appalled but it works for me.

I did watch Blackhawk Down on DVD on the big screen last night. That`s about the only time the big screen is used.

I like those flat TVs I`ve seen because it gives you even more room but that won`t happen until the Magnavox gives up and the prices come down.

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Bolt,

The two loudspeakers on the left en right are Pied Pipers. They are custom built in the Netherlands. I built them myself and bought the components from the maker. They used to be jet black. Last year I refinished them in Titanium.

The Center speaker is also from the same custom shop and is basicly the same as the towers but modified and magnetically shielded to be employed under or near television sets.

The TV is a Grundig 32" widescreen and it is a flatscreen, doesn't look like that in the 3rd pic and you're right it's the angle I shot the pic at.

Amplifier is a Pioneer D510 5x80W DolbyDigital/DTS 5.1 receiver.
DVD is a Pioneer DV343 which has been freed of regional coding and RCE. Soon to be replaced by a Denon 1600 which is going to be modified in the powersupply, housing and if I have some money to spare a cinematrix progressive scan unit.

Then theres a decoder for digital television and of course my trusty JVC VHS recorder.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:06:04 AM EDT
[#4]
COOL Kuip!...you got to build your own speakers with all the parts supplied by the manfacturer.....that way you know its done right.I was going to ask/tell you about the unshielded speaker/tv thing.I learned about it not knowing,luckily it was with my new tv/system and serviced free under warr.I had put a unshielded set of tweeters too close to the tv.....it messes up the tv's color magnetics.[:(].My main speakers are KLH 105's.I just refurbished the=gaskets,front covers,new finish on the walnut.WE only have venered partical board on the new speakers over here(US)now,unless you want to pay 5-10kish at a HI END store.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#5]
36" Mitsubishi (Tube) TV
Polk audio RT800's w/Sub,
Polk Center Channel,
Polk Surrounds
Kenwood Components
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#6]
No pictures, but here is what I got:
Toshiba 35" TV
Infinity bookshelfs-front
Infinity-center channel
Definitive Technology PF1500-sub
Energy E:xl-surrounds
Sony 5.1(vurtual 6.1)Dolby digital/DTS receiver(STRDE-865)
Sony Progressive scan DVD player
Panasonic VCR
Sony DirecTV Receiver

I hope to one day buy a projector, but the prices are too costly for a poor boy like me! [:)]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Roughly 600+ DVDs [=)] [=)] [=)]
View Quote

DAMN!  I thought I was bad with 165, not including collectibles like limited edition prints, out of print stuff, and collectors tins.  It's getting to the point that I own just about all the movies I like on DVD with few excetions.  I need to unload the unrated version of Caligula though.  I wanted to see what the fuss was about, and it just wasn't worth it.

Right now the two movies I'm itching for are Criterion versions of Hard Boiled and Robocop.  I'm a nut for John Woo's Hong Kong work, and Paul Verhoven is just insanely over the top.  Those and a copy of Real Genius would round out my collection for the time being.

What's left of my setup after the layoff purges:
Sony WEGA 32" Trinitron
Toshiba DVD player.  Not fancy, but a workhorse.
RCA dual-LNB DSS receiver.
Sony Playstation 2
Sega Dreamcast
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo 64

I'll probably buy a receiver and speakers when money is more stable, but I've gone without them long enough that it's not a priority anymore.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Sony 57" widescreen tv.
Harmon Kardon Reciever
Samsung dvd/vcr combo
bose speakers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#11]
64" TheaterWide Pioneer HDTV
Sony 5.1 DD Recieiver.
Infinity Refrence 2001.5 Fronts. Infinity Center and rears.
Audiosource powered sub. 12" driver.
DishNet HDTV Sat Reciever.
Sony VCR(Macrovision annoys it when recording)
Mangovox VCR (macrovision doesnt bother it when recording)

and thats only the main system....

upstairs has me 32" tv JVC 8010 5.1/DTS reciever. PC is my DVD/PVR/DivX movie Player.
it has to oooold EP speakers for the fronts, still very good

KLH poweredsub 10" driver. more thump than the 12" downstairs. newer

cheap radioshack Realistic surrounds.

ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon card for the video playback / digital audio (5.1 only, card doest output DTS) playback.

non 5.1 audio is output via headphone to RCA converter patch cable.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#12]
... Been building my system for a year now.
55" Panasonic HDTV with a surround sound system.

... There can be drawbacks to killer systems, like being elected to host big sporting events and new DVD releases.

... I'm gonna start charging $8 at the door like AMC does!

... Next on the list: Bang & Olufsen plasma screen.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#13]
No pictures but here's a list:

Sony 61" Trinitron
Infiity Kappa 8 towers (bi-amped)
Infinity Referernce Series for mid and rear channels
Infinity CC3 Center channel speaker
Klipsh powered sub (150 watt, can't recall model number offhand)
Three Yamaha MX-830 Amps (190 watts/ channel in stereo mode)
Integra 8.2 DTR Receiver (used as preamp and tuner)
Panasonic DVD player (old one)
Satellite tuner
Hi-8 deck
SVHS deck
Sony dual-cassette deck
Sony CD changer
Turtle Beach Audiotron, which connects to my home network and give me the ability to play back any of the roughly 40,000 (~ 120 GB) tracks stored on my music server, as well as play Internet radio if I get the urge.

I've got a Princeton Graphics 36" HDTV/Monitor sitting in its box in the garage; haven't decided what to do with it.

And there are also two smaller home theatre setups; one in the family room and one on my office.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#14]
My system is about 2.5 years old but more than I need right now in a 1 bedroom apartment.
Small TV -- Panasonic 27"
My receiver to DVD sound input is an Optical cable, which really makes a difference-IMHO
I used S-Video for TV to DVD & Digital Coax for everything else.
I'm not running a Sub either.

Receiver:Yahmaha R-V1105

[url]http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gAVR00010R-V1105[/url]

Center Channel:JBL (S-Center)

[url]http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=S%2DCENTERII&SerId=STU&sCatId=BFS[/url]

Left/Right Front Speakers (Towers):JBL HLS820

[url]http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=HLS820&Buy=N[/url]

Left/ight Rear Speakers (Bookshelf): JBL HLS610

[url]http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=HLS610&Buy=N[/url]

DVD Player: Pioneer DV-525

[url]http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/HomeProducts/HomeProductDetails/0,1422,269,00.html[/url]

I had a butt load of DVD's but now only about 50-60. I traded the majority of my collection & Cash for a Preban AK  [:D]
When I get into a house I'm definitely going to get a bigger TV!

John

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#15]
For those of you wanting to do the Home Theater setup on the cheap try a set of Radio Shack LX5 speakers. The newer ones with the larger bass port. Made for RS by Linaeum they sound great and can be had for peanuts. (Always on sale it seems.) RS also has a decent 12" sub, with IR remote, that goes on sale from time to time.
The RS center channel speaker is okay but not as good sounding as the LX5's. Avoid any RS electronics. Junk. Get an Apex 1500 DVD player and hack it to play any DVD from anywhere for $65. Get an upgradable Denon amp with all the goodies and you're set.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Toshiba 34" HDTV
Samsung HDTV STB
Mitsubishi 6020 DVD
Harman Kardon AVR520
Cambridge Soundworks Speakers and 12" sub
About $600 in cables.

Would love a large screen but I need direct view for the viewing angle.  Maybe once they get the quality up and price down on flat panels I could go with that.

Still debating whether to go with D-VHS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]
JVC 36" direct view TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX receiver
Paradigm Studio 60 mains
Paradigm Studio 20 surrounds
Paradigm Servo-15 sub
Phillips CD changer/recorder
Pioneer DVD player (cheapo)
RCA DirecTV system
Pioneer CTF-950 cassette deck (old!)
Toshiba SVHS Hi-Fi VCR
Playstation 2

60 or so DVD's
over 800 CD's

I still need a CC speaker.
I held off on a high end TV for now - I'll wait a little while for HDTV to come down in price some more. Same reason I stayed on the cheap for a DVD player, although I guess I should upgrade since they have come down so much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top