Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2002 9:04:24 PM EDT
Today was the second of four days of a training class I'm taking at [url]www.weaponsacademy.com[/url]. The goal is to get my Texas personal protection officer certification. Since telecom has netted me absolutely nothing since I was laid off, I decided to do something else for which at least part of my resume is suited.

Texas requires those getting a personal protection officer (level IV: armed, concealed, plainclothes) cert to also have their commissioned security officer (level III: armed, in uniform) certification. This, I suspect, is mostly to get the laws regarding what security personnel can and can't do.

Of the eight in my class, we are evenly divided between those getting just their level III to work uniformed armed security (for TXU and a company called Statewide) and those who are getting their PPO cert to work executive protection. The first day was mostly classroom in the morning going over the laws, then handcuffing and non-lethal open hand force in the afternoon. Today was a bit more lecture, but mostly baton work with ASP batons and weapon retention drills, as well as more open hand work.

Tomorrow is range day and the written test for level III. Texas law requires 50 rounds for qualification, just like the CHL, but we're going to be firing 400 rounds. Those of us staying for the PPO cert will be doing some assault-on-the-principal drills in the afternoon tomorrow.

Monday will be some close protection instruction and drills, then the PPO test.

I'm also planning on getting some medical training, maybe EMT qualification, as well as a protective driving course. I'll be going out to Memphis, TN to [url]www.legionconsulting.com[/url] in November for their executive protection class.

It can't possibly pay me any [b]less[/b] than telecom has for the past few months, and it will keep my ass out of cubicles for the forseeable future.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Tim runs good courses. I have been to one of his carbine classes, and sent others to some of his courses. Have fun.

I don't know much about PPO work. In Central Texas, I think most of this stuff is either being done by corporations who have special teams, or by off-duty cops. Most full-time PPOs are former cops. I know one person who does this. He recently came to work for us as a reserve officer. We offered him a full-time police position (for some pretty good money, as well) but he turned us down-he makes about three times more watching a monitor in a guard shack. I think he is more the exception than rule, though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck in your new field ! Telecom really is in bad times now - "thank you Judge Green ". It's bad everywhere . I work for Qwest in Phoenix and they have declared a surplus in 3 titles of techs ... 30 of 252 CDT ,30 of 258 COT ,and 60 of 1206 Net techs. Hopefully we can get enough of the 30+ year geezers to take the VSPP offer that is go now and we'll give you $26,400 and your retirement 6% increase. But the dummies are waiting for the 10% kicker Aug. 2003 pension increase ! That's a break even deal ! Go now ,take the money and run before the jerks go bankrupt ! I have to stay damn it .Only got 21 years. But when the 10% kicker happens,look out ! 78% of the company WILL RETIRE ! So if you're still looking in a year , look me up and I'll steer you in the direction of human resources .
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a 100 on my written test for the level III cert, and shot a perfect score on the shooting test. After we got the testing out of the way, those of us there for the PPO cert ran through some attack on the principal drills with live fire. Very interesting stuff.

This course is only for the license to be a PPO, but it is very high energy. The course of fire for testing is only 50 rounds, but I shot almost 400 rounds today. Class started today at the range at 0900 and we got out of there around 1930.

Tim and his staff don't mess around. It's high quality intensive training, and I definitely feel like I've gotten my money's worth.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top