Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2002 7:36:40 PM EDT
Would anyone know if MILES (Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System) equipment is available on the surplus market?  I know that the Army is phasing it out in favor of the new MILES XXI and MILES 2000 systems,  so it seems to me that some of this equipment MAY be available on the surplus market but so far I haven't found any.

I'm thinking that if this equipment can be obtained for civilian use, it's going to make paintball look pretty sick in comparison.

I'd love to participate in wargames that used MILES equipment!

So, if anyone knows about this stuff as surplus, please, let me know!

CJ

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I went here [url]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/miles.htm[/url] and got this:

[b]Basic MILES systems have reached the end of their useful economic life cycle. Repair parts required to maintain the Basic MILES inventory are no longer available on the open market. Expensive reverse engineering of Basic MILES components is a common support practice. As a consequence of these circumstances, the US Army has reassessed its acquisition alternatives.

Due to these shortcomings, the Army made the decision to buy devices reflecting improved weapon fidelity and reduced logistics burden. Examples of logistics support advances found in the latest generation of MILES include longer life batteries, reduced power consumption by components, advanced electronics design, and more rugged and robust equipment with reduced operation support costs.[/b]

I doubt it will be on the surplus market.[:(]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#2]
too bad if it is unavail.

I see current generation is different than the stuff durring the 80's - early 90's. (or so it looks to me from pictures)

the "god gun" was neat to have access to [:D]

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Even if it was available, it would be rediculously expensive. Cheap worn out crap becomes suddenly very valuable and expensive when it hits the army surplus stores.   There is no reason that the civillan market couldn't produce really cool MILES gear for very little money...it's not rocket science, it's friggin laser tag for christ's sake, not much different than I used 12 years ago in the parks around my place.  there just isn't enough demand for it for companies to produce it.

Mike

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking more along the lines of,  is this stuff technically available for release as general military surplus?   If so,  and I find any available through the normal surplus channels,   I'll certainly be considering placing bids on it.

They say it's at the end of its useful economic life cycle.   So what?   They say that about EVERYTHING that they replace, especially electronics.   I've bought hundreds of two way radios at surplus and made thousands of dollars off of them, and they were allegedly obsolete, too.   Many of them are still in service with their new owners, fifteen years later.

I'll be watching for the following items:

Blank firing adapter (for M16 MILES)
Laser kit for M16 MILES
Detector harness
Control pack

Whatever else is needed.

I figure if I can find 20 sets,  I'll probably be able to put at least 10 in service and keep them running for some time.

It would be helpful to know what the FSC (Federal Supply Codes) and NSN's are for each of these items.     If there's anybody who gets to train with this stuff,  please take a moment next time you get your hands on it and write the NSN's down if you can find them.   With them, I can search the entire surplus system for them.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, this tuff is starting to pop up (I saw some listed on the DRMS search page the other day). I haven't seen much of though, and what was available was in poor shape.

The site is down now, so I can't give you any NSNs. This stuff probably has Demil codes higher than 'A' anyways, so you can't get it as surplus unless you are an LE agency using the 1033 program. The military has reclassified a bunch of stuff with high demil codes lately, and requires destruction of gear that isn't coded 'A.' Even LE agencies that get gear have to turn it in for destruction when they no longer need it.

MILES gear is okay for large units duking it out with tanks, but it is inefficent for closer enaggements. The military is going for Simunitions in big way any more, following LE's lead on this stuff. The Navy and Marine Corps just put out a big contract for Sims for CQB training, and Simunitions is working on a 5.56mm Sims system so that the miltary won't need new uppers for every converted weapon. I also understand that they sometimes use Sims and MILES together.

Simunitions are currently only available to LE, but there are several copycat systems popping up that use very similar technologies. Any one would probably be better for CQB training thatn MILES.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I have discovered that there's a guy who sells on ebay who's auctioned off a couple of individual MILES sets.   I check in on his auctions frequently, and may see if he can provide enough working sets to equip two small squads for "paintball with an attitude" skirmishes.   Of course, I'll have to scrounge up some other hardware like blank firing adapters as well.

CJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top