Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2002 5:11:47 PM EDT
I am so f****** g******** mad I could spit nails!  [pissed] [pissed] [pissed]

Last week I bought something off eBay and used Paypal to pay for it. They charged it to an ATM VISA card that is no longer even in my profile, and now I have two overdraft charges on that checking account in the amount of $58! The worst part of it is that Paypal is hiding behind the Internet. No phone numbers, no mailing address. What a crock of shit!

Paypal [heavy]

If you use Paypal, be careful!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
And now Ebay owns them, so getting any kind of satisfaction approaches nil.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been using PayPal for years and Ebay.
Never had that happen, never heard of anyone having that happen.
Are you sure you removed it completely from your profile? (The CC).
They have a phone number for support, you just have to go thru the Help/Support options.
If you can't find it, e-mail thru the Tech Support, the will send it to you. They respond pretty fast.
Sorry it barfed on you, but I've never had a problem.......
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#3]
dogsdad:

Here's the number, found it in 3 clicks, no typing.....

[b]PayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you 7 days a week, from 6 am to midnight CST.

Call us toll-free at: 1.888.221.1161

Please have the following information available when you call:
Your telephone number
Your email address
The last 4 digits of your credit card or bank account registered with PayPal
For security purposes, we will need to verify this information before we can discuss your account with you.[/b]

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a lot of scams running amock by users with PayPal. The winning bidder makes a transaction with a seller on eBay or Yahoo! Auctions. A couple or a few days later, the winning bidder gets his/her merchandise as advetised but he/she complains to PayPal that the product has not arrived and PayPal takes the money out of the seller's credit. Because of this, many sellers are simply dropping PayPal. This has not yet happened to me but I'm sure it will soon. I wonder what other types of scams PayPal has in store for us?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's a lot of scams running amock by users with PayPal. The winning bidder makes a transaction with a seller on eBay or Yahoo! Auctions. A couple or a few days later, the winning bidder gets his/her merchandise as advetised but he/she complains to PayPal that the product has not arrived and PayPal takes the money out of the seller's credit. Because of this, many sellers are simply dropping PayPal. This has not yet happened to me but I'm sure it will soon. I wonder what other types of scams PayPal has in store for us?
View Quote

Yes, I've not been a victim of this yet (knock on wood), but PayPal is my best option right now for accepting CC.
I do a lot of buying/selling on Ebay and this has worked for me so far......
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
It was a dark day indeed when eBay acquired PayPal.  This does not bode well.  [:(!]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't know if it was PayPal or EBay but a couple of weeks after using both , My debit card quit working one morning...

Went to the Credit Union and found that the FBI had stopped mine and about 1000 other visa cards that they found on a hacker's computer...

Thanks FBI!!  I lost nothing... Someone got my info through either PayPal, EBay or they got in through my firewall..  Go Figure...
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]
FUCK PAYPAL....."beware of the money lenders"is a phrase that comes to mind.FUCK EBAY Too.....I've rarely found anything there "value priced".
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using Paypal for almost 2 years without any problems. Everytime you use it, you have the opportunity to choose what bank account, debit card, or credit card you want to use. Check to see what your default payment source is. Unless you click on "other funding sources", (can't remember the exact wording) Paypal will automatically use your default source. Also, unless you hit "alternative funding", Paypal will use your default bank account, not your default credit card.

As far as bargains on eBay, I,ve bought 4 shirts (NWT) in the last month that were all deals. 1 $200 Ralph Lauren Purple Label for $49.99, 2 $225 Ermenegildo Zegna's for $40 each, and 1 $265 Lorenzinni for $42.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:34:05 AM EDT
[#10]
A list price for a "SHIRT" at $200ish that you got for $40ish is a deal I'd think.But who in their right mind would pay $200ish,or from my perspective $40ish for a shirt?...yesterday at the second hand store I got a nice "brand new".."tag still on it" @ $24.00,from Filenes,100% cotton shirt for 99cents.Clothing,CARS,jewlery...Have way to much of a mark up to buy NEW ...IMO.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:46:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But who in their right mind would pay $200ish,or from my perspective $40ish for a shirt?...
View Quote

I would. You only live once, so you might as well enjoy it while you can. I like Polo shirts, Oakley glasses and Tag watches among other things, so that is what I buy, regardless of the price.

I've never thought of buying new clothes on Ebay but it sounds like it's worth a look.

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:16:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But who in their right mind would pay $200ish,or from my perspective $40ish for a shirt?...
View Quote

I would. You only live once, so you might as well enjoy it while you can. I like Polo shirts, Oakley glasses and Tag watches among other things, so that is what I buy, regardless of the price.

I've never thought of buying new clothes on Ebay but it sounds like it's worth a look.

View Quote
......I dont throw my cash away,true you only live once,but I want little luckily.I do pay out for the good watches though.Buy the best,it usually lasts a lifetime.BUT not clothes or cars,....jewlery is best at the pawnshops,like gunz.Oakly sunglasses @ 40ish or more:eek:!so you buy into that fad advertising CRAP eeh?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:29:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
......I dont throw my cash away,true you only live once,but I want little luckily.I do pay out for the good watches though.Buy the best,it usually lasts a lifetime.BUT not clothes or cars,....jewlery is best at the pawnshops,like gunz.Oakly sunglasses @ 40ish or more:eek:!so you buy into that fad advertising CRAP eeh?
View Quote

I don't throw away my cash either. I go to work and make money so that I can buy nice things and that is what I do with it. I like to dress nice and Polo makes nice clothes, so that is what I buy. Where can you find Oakleys for $40? The pair I bought last week cost more than 5X that [:)]

Just because you don't buy expensive shirts or glasses or whatever, doesn't mean there is something wrong with people who do. Obviously there are a lot of people out there buying these things or the companies would go out of business. I don't care if you buy your clothes at a second hand store, that's your perogative, it's just not for me. I enjoy buying new clothes and new watches and new cars, although I like used guns just as much as new ones...go figure, but I make enough money that affords me the ability to buy those things.

Don't crap on people just because they buy nicer things than you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#14]
What is the URL for the customer service number on PayPals site?

[url]http://www.paypalwarning.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.paypalsucks.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.texassportfishing.com/PayPal.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.aboutpaypal.org/[/url]

[url]http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,101525,00.asp[/url]

[url]http://www.auctionwatch.com/mesg/read.html?num=10&thread=1257[/url]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks s0ulzer0...I missed that somehow.

I called their so-called customer service people, got put on hold for half an hour, and then was told how I could go through a bunch of shit to cancel the payment and then do it over again. When I asked why the hell I would go through all that, I got stony silence as a reply. Zero satisfaction.

I've wiped out all the information I can on my profile, then I cancelled the account. These bastards will never make another nickel off of me. Since they are owned by eBay now, I'm through with them too.

As far as the bank goes...I've discovered that they processed transactions so that there would be two overdrafts instead of only one. This thieving outfit is known as Wells Fargo.

Get between two of the big boys, and they'll beat the shit out of you and take your wallet. I'm as conservative as can be, but incedents like this make it more understandable when people rant about big business screwing the little guy all the time. Someday, maybe one of these outfits will bend over in front of me and I'll have the opportunity to screw them. Guess what will happen!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks s0ulzer0...I missed that somehow.

I called their so-called customer service people, got put on hold for half an hour, and then was told how I could go through a bunch of shit to cancel the payment and then do it over again. When I asked why the hell I would go through all that, I got stony silence as a reply. Zero satisfaction.
View Quote

No problem, sorry things are FUBAR for you.
I've never had a problem before with PayPal in the 3yrs I've been using them.
I guess it would only take one FU to tear it for me as well. I hope it never happens....
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't throw away my cash either. I go to work and make money so that I can buy nice things and that is what I do with it. I like to dress nice and Polo makes nice clothes, so that is what I buy. Where can you find Oakleys for $40? The pair I bought last week cost more than 5X that [:)]

Just because you don't buy expensive shirts or glasses or whatever, doesn't mean there is something wrong with people who do. Obviously there are a lot of people out there buying these things or the companies would go out of business. I don't care if you buy your clothes at a second hand store, that's your perogative, it's just not for me. I enjoy buying new clothes and new watches and new cars, although I like used guns just as much as new ones...go figure, but I make enough money that affords me the ability to buy those things.

View Quote

Heheheheh... So YOU'RE the guy that actually buys the stuff in the fashion section in the back of Maxim magazine. I always wondered who would pay $160.00 for a plain, white T-shirt or $350 for a pair of bluejeans.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been buying and selling on eBay for ages and my rules are simple... I only accept money orders and only bid on auctions that accept money orders... PayPal struck me as something that could easily be abused...

Sorry to hear about your trouble, dogsdad...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Heheheheh... So YOU'RE the guy that actually buys the stuff in the fashion section in the back of Maxim magazine. I always wondered who would pay $160.00 for a plain, white T-shirt or $350 for a pair of bluejeans.
View Quote

Heheheheh... So YOU'RE the guy that actually buys and reads Maxim magazine. I always wondered who would do that!

[;)]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#20]
After reading the PayPal user agreement you guys are nutz to give them a debit/checking account number.  At least use a CC as it offers a little bit of protection.

I cut all my debit cards up except one that I only use at the USPS to purchase MO's.  CC’s offer some protection against fraudulent/disputed charges.  You’re also nutz if you sign up for those EFT auto pay bill options from the CC and utility companies.  If they screw up they can wipe your checking account out.  

PayPal has an anti-firearm policy anyway.

[url] https://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=2141[/url]

PayPal horror stories:

[url]http://www.outofthedark.com/CorporateWars/PayPal/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hehehehehe...No...Maxim...now [b]that[/b] is a waste of money [:)]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
regardless of price?....Geessssh...you must be a GAZILLIONAIRE!:shakingheadicon:The things some foolish people do with their $$ to inflate their ego with over priced material CRAP!.I thought mostly girls shopped like that?[;)]Do you look nice?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Leave Ponyboy alone!!! geez what is this high school all over again?? Listen Ponyboy, I sympathize with you. Some people have always had a problem with me mainly because they tend to be jealous of what they don't have and others do.. This is why I try not to flaunt what I have.. I'm sorry people have a problem with me being an only child and getting alot of expensive clothes etc.. My folks pay for college and bought my car now so what? Now that I earn my own money this summer I am still buying my expensive clothes. Some people still  have a problem with that I get to shop at Nordstrom's and Bloomingdale's, so what?? We all are just people and my point is so is Ponyboy. If buying expensive clothes makes him or I happy than so be it..I'm not trying to flaunt anything, I just can afford the luxuries and I am not about to go in debt because of it, but I certainly am not about to take it all to the grave with me like my grandfather did which is why my family is rich in the first place! I like the feel of good silk and cashmere, course I'm a girl I should like to shop  Don't fault something that makes someone else happy.. If you had money you'd do the same thing and don't say you wouldn't cuz my dad said he'd never act like richfolk do, but the minute we came into it we sure as hell started buying nice stuff!! And alot of other people who suddenly come into money act the same way. People always say they won't be like that until it actually happens!  I just hated to be made fun of when I was little first cuz I was ugly and too smart and not well off (my ugly braces/acne faze) and then cuz I was rich even though i didn't tell anyone but people started to figure things out when I kept wearing new clothes and we bought new cars every three years..I never seemed to win with the kids in school..[rolleyes] Sorry this has gone into a tangent, I'll get off my [soapbox] now.
-Andrea
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#24]
A Blonde_Bombshell is sticking up for you ponyboy[;)]bet that makes you "feel" speecial',[;)]You 2 should go to the mall.[;)]Some of us save our $ for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Blonde_BombShell is right.  You buy the items that fit you station is society.  I once went shopping with my brother and asked him why he was buying several $90.00 shirts.  His answer was that since he is an engineer he has to look the part.  Besides, think of it like this, would you rather buy a $800 Bushmaster, or a $500 Hesse.  I know what I would buy! [:D]

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
regardless of price?....Geessssh...you must be a GAZILLIONAIRE!:shakingheadicon:The things some foolish people do with their $$ to inflate their ego with over priced material CRAP!.I thought mostly girls shopped like that?[;)] Do you look nice?
View Quote

If using money to buy the things that I want is foolish then I'm the biggest fool there is cause that's what I do with it. It has nothing to do with inflating my ego, it has everything to do with being able to buy the stuff that I like.

Like Blonde_Bombshell I grew up in a rich family. When I was younger I got just about everything that I wanted, I always had nice new clothes to wear, nice cars to drive and just about every "gadget" imaginable.

When I moved out on my own I decided that I wanted to do it myself. Both of my parents grew up poor and had to work hard to make all of their money and I didn't want to be the little spoiled brat that everything they have was given to them for their whole life. I worked my own way through school and lived in some pretty crappy places, even after I first got married. I went so far as to turn down my sisters offer to go to law school on her dime because I'm hard headed and wanted to go at it alone. In the not so far distant past, I've even pawned and lost a few of my guns because I needed money for rent or food when I could have easily have just gotten cash from my family instead.

I've had to earn everything that I own. I didn't take anybodies help, even when it was offered. I feel like I have to right to buy a $150 shirt or a $300 pair of sunglasses if I want them, I've earned it. A couple of months ago I got a $20,000 raise because of my hard work. How many people can say that with the market being in the dumps the way it is?

I don't buy nice stuff to boost my ego. I buy nice stuff because I like nice stuff, and now I'm in the position to afford nice stuff again. Just because some people don't like wearing a pair of Levis and a t-shirt everyday doesn't mean their foolish or stuck up on themselves.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top